Re: [AQ_NFS] Sync screen

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
      Scott:

      The "No Action" is not the default. It is the current selection. Since
      AQ gives you 4 options, it has to ask you which option to take. By
      default, you are just browsing. The other options are to move the nFS
      data into your notes, into an additional event, or to replace your main
      event with the nFS data.

      AQ could be simpler by becoming more simplistic. If we take away the
      other options, we can make it more simple. So a single click could
      either select or deselect an nFS item -- which would mean that you
      either replace your local data or you don't. But you wouldn't be able to
      choose to add the nFS data into notes, or to add it as an additional event.

      I think you are asking for a preference setting that would limit your
      options, and thereby cut down on the amount of information AQ has to ask
      you for.

      Another thought just occurred to me. Maybe the act of clicking on an
      item would toggle between the two most likely states of "No Action" and
      "Replace". But a Ctrl+Click would bring up the current screen which lets
      you choose between 4 options. The problem with this is, that it wouldn't
      be intuitive -- you'd only learn about it if you read the help file
      thoroughly before you start using the program. And nobody does that.

      Gaylon

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
        Ok. I found that button now. It is just a matter of knowing when to use
        it? Maybe I neglected to take a tutorial lesson concerning this button?

        Thanks Gaylon,

        Gunilla

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
          Gunilla:

          This button was added recently to facilitate something the Church was
          going to do, which still is apparently on the drawing boards. So we
          never really mentioned this new button. But it should be helpful.

          If every person in the world only had one spouse and one set of parents,
          AQ could let you select the sealing ordinances from the review screen.
          The problem comes when there are more than one, and you have to make
          sure that the person/parents sealed to on the nFS side is the same
          person/parents you see in your local AQ/PAF file. AQ won't just move a
          sealing to spouse date from nFS into AQ/PAF without you confirming that
          it is the same spouse.

          Gaylon

        • Scott Scheibe
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
            At 12:30 PM 7/13/2009, Gaylon Findlay wrote:

            When I click on the box I almost always want to add it to my events
            or replace my event in the case it says deceased and NFS has a date
            or a place. If the field is blank then it defaults to Add To Local
            Event, but if the field has data in it then the default is No
            Action. If I wanted No Action I wouldn't have clicked on it in the
            first place.. Occasionally I do want to add something as an
            additional event, but 99% of the time I want to Replace Local
            Event which should be the default action instead of No Action. I
            really don't see a need for a No Action select to be there at all in
            the first place, you already have the OK and Cancel buttons. If
            change your mind and don't want to do something then select Cancel.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
              Scott:

              But what if you first choose to Replace Local Event, so the little green
              arrow indicates that your local event will be replaced. Then you change
              your mind and want to leave your local data as it is. In this case you
              need a way to tell AQ to NOT replace the local event. So the option is
              there to set the item back to "No Action". If you were only working with
              one event, you could "Cancel" out of the sync screen, but if you have
              already decided to sync several other pieces of data, you don't want to
              cancel the entire screen just to reset this one value. You really do
              need the ability to set a selection back to "No Action."

              Again this screen doesn't presume to have AI (Artificial Intelligence)
              by showing you the next likely action to take, it shows you the current
              setting, and lets you change the setting. (As you pointed out, it does
              use some AI when there is only one option.)

              I tend to agree with the general premise that most of the time you would
              want the checkbox to simply toggle between the states of "Replace Local"
              and "No Action" without bringing up the box. But for those few times
              when you might want to do something else, the options have to be
              presented, and then there's even a stickier issue. What if you have
              recorded 3 birth events in your PAF or AQ file? And you now want to
              "Replace". Which of the 3 do you replace? The current screen provides a
              list box of all the local birth events so you can choose one. Granted,
              99.9% of the time, there is only one birth event, so this feels like too
              many choices most of the time.

              Right now we're focusing on getting the Ordinance Reservation and
              Tracking System out the door. Once this is completed, we may revisit
              this issue and find a way to make it simpler most of the time, without
              losing the ability to handle even the tough issues.

              Gaylon

            • register
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
                I want to compliment Gaylon for his approach to artificial intelligence in
                the second paragraph. I have reviewed several genealogical programs and
                have been appalled by the way some of them do what they think I want -
                giving me no chance to interfere. These programs know what is best for me
                and they do it. One of the strengths of AQ, in my opinion, is that we are
                allowed to make decisions ourselves. The flexibility this provides is
                important to me.

                Eric

                Scott Scheibe wrote:
> [...]
                >> "Replace". But a Ctrl+Click would bring up the current screen which lets
                >> you choose between 4 options. The problem with this is, that it wouldn't
                >> be intuitive -- you'd only learn about it if you read the help file
                >> thoroughly before you start using the program. And nobody does that.
                >>
                >> Gaylon
                >>

                >> Scott Scheibe wrote:
                >>
                >>> At 03:09 PM 7/12/2009, Gunilla Manell wrote:
                >>>

                >>> That and access notes as well the first time is highly needed. There
                >>> is too many steps every where and the review screen ctrl E should
                >>> work there just like it does when you have a person selected from the
                >>> family view or pedigree view. Also it would be nice when you click
                >>> on some data the default would be to add it, not "no action".. You
                >>> have to click two or three things to get about anything done, it is

                Blog