Re: [AQ_NFS] manually entry of ordinances

  • Margaret Thompson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
      From the review individual screen (after the individual is synced) you can click in the boxes in front of the temple dates (on the left hand screen, your data) and click save. That will save your info on nFS.

      Margaret

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: register
      To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 9:48 AM
      Subject: [AQ_NFS] manually entry of ordinances

      I see the using FamilySearch's Family Tree I can manually enter ordinances.
      Is there any way to do this in AQ? Or.. is there any way to jump to Family
      Tree in the same fashion that I can jump to the new FamilySearch?

    • register
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
        Thanks. I just never thought we could add/alter ordinances in FS and have
        always done this through Family tree.

        Eric

        From the review individual screen (after the individual is synced) you can
        click in the boxes in front of the temple dates (on the left hand screen,
        your data) and click save. That will save your info on nFS.

        Margaret

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
          Gunilla:

          When you initially link somebody, we have added a new feature. If you
          set a preference (under the "FamilySearch" tab of preferences) to see
          the LDS ordinances on the match screen, you will also see a new button
          labeled, "LDS". If you click on that button, you can transfer LDS
          ordinances, including sealings, to your AQ database in one screen.

          We will probably add this button to the "Review Individual" screen once
          the new features are out of beta test.

          We are adding that "LDS" screen to a couple of other places in the code.
          If you test the new "Ordinance Reservation and Tracking System" of AQ,
          you'll see that you will change the whole way to deal with LDS issues. I
          find that when LDS codes are missing for a person in my file, my first
          action now is to click on the new temple icon in the name box to add
          this person to a list of records to be reserved. If the person is not
          yet linked to nFS, the next step is to link the person, and that LDS
          button is available at that time, so that if the nFS record has more LDS
          information, you can update your local record immediately. If the nFS
          person does not have completed ordinances, you can immediately reserve
          the ordinances, then track the progress of the ordinances. As ordinances
          are completed, you push a single button to keep your file up to date
          with the temple records.

          Gaylon

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
            Scott:

            The "No Action" is not the default. It is the current selection. Since
            AQ gives you 4 options, it has to ask you which option to take. By
            default, you are just browsing. The other options are to move the nFS
            data into your notes, into an additional event, or to replace your main
            event with the nFS data.

            AQ could be simpler by becoming more simplistic. If we take away the
            other options, we can make it more simple. So a single click could
            either select or deselect an nFS item -- which would mean that you
            either replace your local data or you don't. But you wouldn't be able to
            choose to add the nFS data into notes, or to add it as an additional event.

            I think you are asking for a preference setting that would limit your
            options, and thereby cut down on the amount of information AQ has to ask
            you for.

            Another thought just occurred to me. Maybe the act of clicking on an
            item would toggle between the two most likely states of "No Action" and
            "Replace". But a Ctrl+Click would bring up the current screen which lets
            you choose between 4 options. The problem with this is, that it wouldn't
            be intuitive -- you'd only learn about it if you read the help file
            thoroughly before you start using the program. And nobody does that.

            Gaylon

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
              Ok. I found that button now. It is just a matter of knowing when to use
              it? Maybe I neglected to take a tutorial lesson concerning this button?

              Thanks Gaylon,

              Gunilla

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
                Gunilla:

                This button was added recently to facilitate something the Church was
                going to do, which still is apparently on the drawing boards. So we
                never really mentioned this new button. But it should be helpful.

                If every person in the world only had one spouse and one set of parents,
                AQ could let you select the sealing ordinances from the review screen.
                The problem comes when there are more than one, and you have to make
                sure that the person/parents sealed to on the nFS side is the same
                person/parents you see in your local AQ/PAF file. AQ won't just move a
                sealing to spouse date from nFS into AQ/PAF without you confirming that
                it is the same spouse.

                Gaylon

              • Scott Scheibe
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
                  At 12:30 PM 7/13/2009, Gaylon Findlay wrote:

                  When I click on the box I almost always want to add it to my events
                  or replace my event in the case it says deceased and NFS has a date
                  or a place. If the field is blank then it defaults to Add To Local
                  Event, but if the field has data in it then the default is No
                  Action. If I wanted No Action I wouldn't have clicked on it in the
                  first place.. Occasionally I do want to add something as an
                  additional event, but 99% of the time I want to Replace Local
                  Event which should be the default action instead of No Action. I
                  really don't see a need for a No Action select to be there at all in
                  the first place, you already have the OK and Cancel buttons. If
                  change your mind and don't want to do something then select Cancel.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
                    Scott:

                    But what if you first choose to Replace Local Event, so the little green
                    arrow indicates that your local event will be replaced. Then you change
                    your mind and want to leave your local data as it is. In this case you
                    need a way to tell AQ to NOT replace the local event. So the option is
                    there to set the item back to "No Action". If you were only working with
                    one event, you could "Cancel" out of the sync screen, but if you have
                    already decided to sync several other pieces of data, you don't want to
                    cancel the entire screen just to reset this one value. You really do
                    need the ability to set a selection back to "No Action."

                    Again this screen doesn't presume to have AI (Artificial Intelligence)
                    by showing you the next likely action to take, it shows you the current
                    setting, and lets you change the setting. (As you pointed out, it does
                    use some AI when there is only one option.)

                    I tend to agree with the general premise that most of the time you would
                    want the checkbox to simply toggle between the states of "Replace Local"
                    and "No Action" without bringing up the box. But for those few times
                    when you might want to do something else, the options have to be
                    presented, and then there's even a stickier issue. What if you have
                    recorded 3 birth events in your PAF or AQ file? And you now want to
                    "Replace". Which of the 3 do you replace? The current screen provides a
                    list box of all the local birth events so you can choose one. Granted,
                    99.9% of the time, there is only one birth event, so this feels like too
                    many choices most of the time.

                    Right now we're focusing on getting the Ordinance Reservation and
                    Tracking System out the door. Once this is completed, we may revisit
                    this issue and find a way to make it simpler most of the time, without
                    losing the ability to handle even the tough issues.

                    Gaylon

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
                      I want to compliment Gaylon for his approach to artificial intelligence in
                      the second paragraph. I have reviewed several genealogical programs and
                      have been appalled by the way some of them do what they think I want -
                      giving me no chance to interfere. These programs know what is best for me
                      and they do it. One of the strengths of AQ, in my opinion, is that we are
                      allowed to make decisions ourselves. The flexibility this provides is
                      important to me.

                      Eric

                      Scott Scheibe wrote:
> [...]
                      >> "Replace". But a Ctrl+Click would bring up the current screen which lets
                      >> you choose between 4 options. The problem with this is, that it wouldn't
                      >> be intuitive -- you'd only learn about it if you read the help file
                      >> thoroughly before you start using the program. And nobody does that.
                      >>
                      >> Gaylon
                      >>

                      >> Scott Scheibe wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> At 03:09 PM 7/12/2009, Gunilla Manell wrote:
                      >>>

                      >>> That and access notes as well the first time is highly needed. There
                      >>> is too many steps every where and the review screen ctrl E should
                      >>> work there just like it does when you have a person selected from the
                      >>> family view or pedigree view. Also it would be nice when you click
                      >>> on some data the default would be to add it, not "no action".. You
                      >>> have to click two or three things to get about anything done, it is

                      Blog