Re: [AQ_NFS] Individual showing wrong relationship

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4 9:01 PM
      Bob:

      Rebuilding the database won't help this.

      When you get into the royal lines, there are thousands of ways that the relationships can be calculated. AQ simply takes the first one it comes to for a given person. I am quite certain that the relationship shown is one of many possible correct relationships.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5 1:27 PM
        Yes, I realized this after I sent the message. As I examined Charlemagne in Relationship Calculator, I saw that he was my 35th, 37th, and 38th GGF, depending on the line.
        He also showed as a cousin 4 different ways.
        Evidently the database will choose the lowest numeric value in generations for display.
        This does make sense, since the lowest value for Charlemagne is 35th GGF since one of his sons is my 34th GGF.
        And since the other son (the 37th GGF) is also my 34th GG Uncle, it would stand to reason that in the family view,
        since Charlemagne is sitting in the parent position as 35th GGP, that my (Grandfather/Uncle) would reflect generation 34, not 37.
        At the same time, I noticed that the calculator shows the many relationships and by choosing the one of choice, you see that line.
        Obviously, this has always been there, but this was the first time I came across the situation and panicked.
        It should have been obvious since cousin marriages and inter-royal marriages amongst European nobility is going to make this very common.
        My bad!!! Especially since I spent many years designing and managing databases!
        I just hope I don’t end up being my own grandpa!!!
        Thanks for the quick response.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6 7:58 PM
          I noticed the problem with wrong relationships a few years ago. I have some
          interfamily marriages only a few generations back. I noticed that I
          whichever relative I had highlighted when I set the relationship indicators
          determined how the duplicate relationships were shown. So by selecting an
          individual in the other family line and then opening the relationship
          indicator tool and clicking 'ok', it would change the relationships to me or
          whoever I had chosen as the root person.

          Linda Smith, Idaho