Re: [AQ_NFS] A request and a question

  • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2012
      On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:25:42 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:

      >Tom:
      >
      >1) In order to do what you are suggesting with Ancestry.com, it would require that they provide us with an API -- a set of programming tools that we can use to access their data.To my knowledge, it is not available.

      Well, I had to ask. Thanks for the response and I understand the
      situation.

      >2) I think it is helpful to remember that not all relationships are marriages, and some such relationships eventually attain legal status as marriages without ever having a ceremony. (Hence, "Common Law Marriages.")
      >
      >The 'S' button next to the marriage date and place is there to document the ceremony, if there was one. The "Marriage Source" button should be thought of more as a "Relationship Source", and is there to document the relationship itself, not just the ceremony. All relationships would have a "Marriage Source", but only those which were marriages, made official by a ceremony, would have a source with the "S" button.

      Okay. That helps a lot. I'll make sure I use the "S" for my marriages.
      I don't have any common-law marriages (yet), but may at some future
      time.

      >Will Family Tree distinguish this difference? I do not yet know. New.FamilySearch and Family Tree both have many concepts that are missing in PAF, yet are there in AQ, which indicates that over time, FamilySearch is gaining wisdom ;-)

      Yeah. PAF is getting really "long in the tooth" which is why I use AQ.
      I really appreciate all the neat features you've added to make this a
      really workable program.

      Thanks for your response,

      Tom
    • Donald Engstrom
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
        Tom,

        I put my census sources in the marriage source because I do not have a date or place. I use the "s" only when I have a document with an actual date or place. I have also used it to indicate my reasoning in estimating dates and places.

        Don