A request and a question

  • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 9:50 AM
      Hi Gaylon,

      First, a request. I know that AQ can query Ancestry.com. Is there any
      way to interface with a family tree (mine, to be specific) in
      ancestry.com and transfer data back and forth, similar to what we do
      in newFamilySearch/Family Tree?

      I don't think this can be done right now, but if it exists, I haven't
      found it. Will it be a feature for a future release of the product.
      I'd be willing to pay a premium (in addition to the account I already
      maintain at ancestry) for that feature.

      And now the question: What is the difference, or rather, why do two
      source buttons exist for marriage events? One is the "S" button at the
      end of the place field (standard for sourcing almost all of the events
      in the form) and the second button is labeled "Marriage Source". I've
      used both, but wonder if I should be using one or the other in
      preparation for eventually pushing the source information into Family
      Tree.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 10:25 AM
        Tom:

        1) In order to do what you are suggesting with Ancestry.com, it would require that they provide us with an API -- a set of programming tools that we can use to access their data.To my knowledge, it is not available.

        2) I think it is helpful to remember that not all relationships are marriages, and some such relationships eventually attain legal status as marriages without ever having a ceremony. (Hence, "Common Law Marriages.")

        The 'S' button next to the marriage date and place is there to document the ceremony, if there was one. The "Marriage Source" button should be thought of more as a "Relationship Source", and is there to document the relationship itself, not just the ceremony. All relationships would have a "Marriage Source", but only those which were marriages, made official by a ceremony, would have a source with the "S" button.

        Will Family Tree distinguish this difference? I do not yet know. New.FamilySearch and Family Tree both have many concepts that are missing in PAF, yet are there in AQ, which indicates that over time, FamilySearch is gaining wisdom ;-)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 12:42 PM
          On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:25:42 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:

          >Tom:
          >
          >1) In order to do what you are suggesting with Ancestry.com, it would require that they provide us with an API -- a set of programming tools that we can use to access their data.To my knowledge, it is not available.

          Well, I had to ask. Thanks for the response and I understand the
          situation.

          >2) I think it is helpful to remember that not all relationships are marriages, and some such relationships eventually attain legal status as marriages without ever having a ceremony. (Hence, "Common Law Marriages.")
          >
          >The 'S' button next to the marriage date and place is there to document the ceremony, if there was one. The "Marriage Source" button should be thought of more as a "Relationship Source", and is there to document the relationship itself, not just the ceremony. All relationships would have a "Marriage Source", but only those which were marriages, made official by a ceremony, would have a source with the "S" button.

          Okay. That helps a lot. I'll make sure I use the "S" for my marriages.
          I don't have any common-law marriages (yet), but may at some future
          time.

          >Will Family Tree distinguish this difference? I do not yet know. New.FamilySearch and Family Tree both have many concepts that are missing in PAF, yet are there in AQ, which indicates that over time, FamilySearch is gaining wisdom ;-)

          Yeah. PAF is getting really "long in the tooth" which is why I use AQ.
          I really appreciate all the neat features you've added to make this a
          really workable program.

          Thanks for your response,

          Tom
        • Donald Engstrom
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4 9:56 PM
            Tom,

            I put my census sources in the marriage source because I do not have a date or place. I use the "s" only when I have a document with an actual date or place. I have also used it to indicate my reasoning in estimating dates and places.

            Don