Re: [AQ_NFS] Sync screen

  • Scott Scheibe
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 12, 2009
      At 03:09 PM 7/12/2009, Gunilla Manell wrote:

      That and access notes as well the first time is highly needed. There
      is too many steps every where and the review screen ctrl E should
      work there just like it does when you have a person selected from the
      family view or pedigree view. Also it would be nice when you click
      on some data the default would be to add it, not "no action".. You
      have to click two or three things to get about anything done, it is
      very time wasting and annoying.

      >A friend is using Roots Magic 4, and on the sync screen there, you can match
      >up all temple dates, including sealed to parents and sealed to spouse, all
      >on the same screen.
      >
      >As far as I know, in AQ I first have to link/ sync the person up, and then
      >and siblings" or "spouses and children". Is there any way that AQ can be
      >improved to that could be done in one step instead of two or three steps?
      >Or at least have those buttons available on the first screen, so you can go
      >do that before you click on save.

      Scott Scheibe
      <mailto:dsscheibe@...>
      <http://scottsworld.info> Scott's website
      <http://dsscheibe.blogspot.com> Scott Blog
      <http://members.cox.net/dsscheibe/vws/> Scott's Weather Station
    • register
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
        I see the using FamilySearch's Family Tree I can manually enter ordinances.
        Is there any way to do this in AQ? Or.. is there any way to jump to Family
        Tree in the same fashion that I can jump to the new FamilySearch?

      • Margaret Thompson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
          From the review individual screen (after the individual is synced) you can click in the boxes in front of the temple dates (on the left hand screen, your data) and click save. That will save your info on nFS.

          Margaret

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
            Thanks. I just never thought we could add/alter ordinances in FS and have
            always done this through Family tree.

            Eric

            From the review individual screen (after the individual is synced) you can
            click in the boxes in front of the temple dates (on the left hand screen,
            your data) and click save. That will save your info on nFS.

            Margaret

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
              Gunilla:

              When you initially link somebody, we have added a new feature. If you
              set a preference (under the "FamilySearch" tab of preferences) to see
              the LDS ordinances on the match screen, you will also see a new button
              labeled, "LDS". If you click on that button, you can transfer LDS
              ordinances, including sealings, to your AQ database in one screen.

              We will probably add this button to the "Review Individual" screen once
              the new features are out of beta test.

              We are adding that "LDS" screen to a couple of other places in the code.
              If you test the new "Ordinance Reservation and Tracking System" of AQ,
              you'll see that you will change the whole way to deal with LDS issues. I
              find that when LDS codes are missing for a person in my file, my first
              action now is to click on the new temple icon in the name box to add
              this person to a list of records to be reserved. If the person is not
              yet linked to nFS, the next step is to link the person, and that LDS
              button is available at that time, so that if the nFS record has more LDS
              information, you can update your local record immediately. If the nFS
              person does not have completed ordinances, you can immediately reserve
              the ordinances, then track the progress of the ordinances. As ordinances
              are completed, you push a single button to keep your file up to date
              with the temple records.

              Gaylon

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
                Scott:

                The "No Action" is not the default. It is the current selection. Since
                AQ gives you 4 options, it has to ask you which option to take. By
                default, you are just browsing. The other options are to move the nFS
                data into your notes, into an additional event, or to replace your main
                event with the nFS data.

                AQ could be simpler by becoming more simplistic. If we take away the
                other options, we can make it more simple. So a single click could
                either select or deselect an nFS item -- which would mean that you
                either replace your local data or you don't. But you wouldn't be able to
                choose to add the nFS data into notes, or to add it as an additional event.

                I think you are asking for a preference setting that would limit your
                options, and thereby cut down on the amount of information AQ has to ask
                you for.

                Another thought just occurred to me. Maybe the act of clicking on an
                item would toggle between the two most likely states of "No Action" and
                "Replace". But a Ctrl+Click would bring up the current screen which lets
                you choose between 4 options. The problem with this is, that it wouldn't
                be intuitive -- you'd only learn about it if you read the help file
                thoroughly before you start using the program. And nobody does that.

                Gaylon

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
                  Ok. I found that button now. It is just a matter of knowing when to use
                  it? Maybe I neglected to take a tutorial lesson concerning this button?

                  Thanks Gaylon,

                  Gunilla

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
                    Gunilla:

                    This button was added recently to facilitate something the Church was
                    going to do, which still is apparently on the drawing boards. So we
                    never really mentioned this new button. But it should be helpful.

                    If every person in the world only had one spouse and one set of parents,
                    AQ could let you select the sealing ordinances from the review screen.
                    The problem comes when there are more than one, and you have to make
                    sure that the person/parents sealed to on the nFS side is the same
                    person/parents you see in your local AQ/PAF file. AQ won't just move a
                    sealing to spouse date from nFS into AQ/PAF without you confirming that
                    it is the same spouse.

                    Gaylon

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 13, 2009
                      At 12:30 PM 7/13/2009, Gaylon Findlay wrote:

                      When I click on the box I almost always want to add it to my events
                      or replace my event in the case it says deceased and NFS has a date
                      or a place. If the field is blank then it defaults to Add To Local
                      Event, but if the field has data in it then the default is No
                      Action. If I wanted No Action I wouldn't have clicked on it in the
                      first place.. Occasionally I do want to add something as an
                      additional event, but 99% of the time I want to Replace Local
                      Event which should be the default action instead of No Action. I
                      really don't see a need for a No Action select to be there at all in
                      the first place, you already have the OK and Cancel buttons. If
                      change your mind and don't want to do something then select Cancel.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
                        Scott:

                        But what if you first choose to Replace Local Event, so the little green
                        arrow indicates that your local event will be replaced. Then you change
                        your mind and want to leave your local data as it is. In this case you
                        need a way to tell AQ to NOT replace the local event. So the option is
                        there to set the item back to "No Action". If you were only working with
                        one event, you could "Cancel" out of the sync screen, but if you have
                        already decided to sync several other pieces of data, you don't want to
                        cancel the entire screen just to reset this one value. You really do
                        need the ability to set a selection back to "No Action."

                        Again this screen doesn't presume to have AI (Artificial Intelligence)
                        by showing you the next likely action to take, it shows you the current
                        setting, and lets you change the setting. (As you pointed out, it does
                        use some AI when there is only one option.)

                        I tend to agree with the general premise that most of the time you would
                        want the checkbox to simply toggle between the states of "Replace Local"
                        and "No Action" without bringing up the box. But for those few times
                        when you might want to do something else, the options have to be
                        presented, and then there's even a stickier issue. What if you have
                        recorded 3 birth events in your PAF or AQ file? And you now want to
                        "Replace". Which of the 3 do you replace? The current screen provides a
                        list box of all the local birth events so you can choose one. Granted,
                        99.9% of the time, there is only one birth event, so this feels like too
                        many choices most of the time.

                        Right now we're focusing on getting the Ordinance Reservation and
                        Tracking System out the door. Once this is completed, we may revisit
                        this issue and find a way to make it simpler most of the time, without
                        losing the ability to handle even the tough issues.

                        Gaylon

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
                          I want to compliment Gaylon for his approach to artificial intelligence in
                          the second paragraph. I have reviewed several genealogical programs and
                          have been appalled by the way some of them do what they think I want -
                          giving me no chance to interfere. These programs know what is best for me
                          and they do it. One of the strengths of AQ, in my opinion, is that we are
                          allowed to make decisions ourselves. The flexibility this provides is
                          important to me.

                          Eric

                          Scott Scheibe wrote:
> [...]
                          >> "Replace". But a Ctrl+Click would bring up the current screen which lets
                          >> you choose between 4 options. The problem with this is, that it wouldn't
                          >> be intuitive -- you'd only learn about it if you read the help file
                          >> thoroughly before you start using the program. And nobody does that.
                          >>
                          >> Gaylon
                          >>

                          >> Scott Scheibe wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> At 03:09 PM 7/12/2009, Gunilla Manell wrote:
                          >>>

                          >>> That and access notes as well the first time is highly needed. There
                          >>> is too many steps every where and the review screen ctrl E should
                          >>> work there just like it does when you have a person selected from the
                          >>> family view or pedigree view. Also it would be nice when you click
                          >>> on some data the default would be to add it, not "no action".. You
                          >>> have to click two or three things to get about anything done, it is

                          Blog