Dates-Place Names, Etc

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
      A few years ago I had come upon a list of a suggested manner in which to record dates and place names in PAF, AQ or nFS. But my copy of it seems to be missing. In an effort to get my records in better order, I would like some comments on the following - - -

      DATES - how & when to use About, Before and After? Is Between ever used?

      PLACE NAMES - it is suggested that place names be four levels. Where I do most of my research (a Canadian Province) there is a fifth level - Local / Parish / County / Province / Country.

      Which of the first two would be best to use? Vital Certificates are file by the Government by County, but at time they record the Parish in the heading, but the text often gives the local area (and often a church).

      The Local name are most likely to remain unchanged, all other change frequently throughout history. Here we have the problem of which address to use - Historical or Modern.

      Should names of Churches, or Cemeteries, be recorded in the locality fields?

      NOTES - What type of data is appropriate for Notes in nFS? How large can they be? Should/could Wills, etc be recorded there in full; or should they only be extracts?

      Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks.

      Cleadie B

      ANY OTHER ITEMS TO CONSIDER?
    • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012

        >DATES - how & when to use About, Before and After? Is Between ever used?

        PAF and newFamilySearch have never had the ability to use between
        dates, except in the "other" category, which is handled nicely by AQ
        for various types of events.

        >PLACE NAMES - it is suggested that place names be four levels. Where I do most of my research (a Canadian Province) there is a fifth level - Local / Parish / County / Province / Country.

        I make use of the Standard Finder (my term) at
        https://labs.familysearch.org/stdfinder/PlaceStandardLookup.jsp It
        provides me with the "standardized" form of name used in
        newFamilySearch (it uses the same database) and often offers several
        alternatives in terms of place name levels. For burials, I always add
        the name of the Cemetery to my record, which will add a fifth level if
        it is within a city.

        I've heard both sides of the argument while serving in the Family
        History Department in Salt Lake in our mission. A lot of it has to do
        with the genealogists involved, more than there being any "standard".
        When the issue of Cemetery was brought up, the "purists" suggested it
        be added in the notes, but others, including myself, argued against
        that, saying that it meant that a double entry had to be created --
        one for the form and the other as a note.

        The exception is that I won't list the name of a hospital or nursing
        home if the death occurred there. I will make it part of an obituary
        entry.

        >Which of the first two would be best to use? Vital Certificates are file by the Government by County, but at time they record the Parish in the heading, but the text often gives the local area (and often a church).

        I'd use whatever works the best. In making presentations regarding
        genealogy, I've often said there is no _one_ best way to do anything.
        Whatever works best for you seems to be the rule, as long as good
        research and documentation requirements are met (Genealogy without
        documentation is mythology).

        >The Local name are most likely to remain unchanged, all other change frequently throughout history. Here we have the problem of which address to use - Historical or Modern.
        >
        >Should names of Churches, or Cemeteries, be recorded in the locality fields?

        In the case of christenings (i.e., non-LDS infant baptisms),
        marriages, and burials, I include the name of the church or cemetery.
        There are purists who say no, that place names are for government
        divisions only, but for much of Europe, the church was the government
        and their records are considered "official" when it comes to
        reliability. My preference is to accommodate later researchers who
        want to visit or see the original records. In those cases, having the
        name of the church or cemetery is vital because the source cited may
        not always readily list either.

        >NOTES - What type of data is appropriate for Notes in nFS? How large can they be? Should/could Wills, etc be recorded there in full; or should they only be extracts?

        As long as the will (extract or full text) is available online, I
        would not include any more than the extract. Source citations provide
        room for a transcription of the actual text. I'd limit it to an
        extract, rather than the full will, inventory, and court records.

        Sources are divided into three areas: Repository, Source
        (Publication), and Citation (where, date, and text). AQ accommodates
        these nicely.

        As far as what is important in the notes, I would include biographical
        information, including what the person may have written of their life.
        For instance, my grandmother wrote me that she was married in her
        parent's home and that the minister had to cross the river on a ferry
        from the town. As a note, this provides additional incite into these
        people's lives. Genealogy is more than just names and places, it is
        about the people and that is what family history is all about.

        If the person has left behind a bunch of stories of their life, then a
        separate publication is preferred, but for individual events, I would
        put extracts in the notes area.

        Also, if local history has had an impact on the family, then I would
        include an extract of what happened and its impact. More details
        should be published separately. AQ can easily handle a great deal of
        information, although the datafile can grow and as its size increases,
        so does the possibility for corruption. Make sure you back up your
        file on a regular basis and I strongly recommend using AQs ability to
        append a date to the backup file.

        >Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks.
        >
        >Cleadie B
        >
        >ANY OTHER ITEMS TO CONSIDER?

        I like to include census entries and any other event that takes place
        in a person's life. With a strong Mennonite ancestry, if I know when
        an ancestor or cousin became a preacher or Mennonite Bishop, I'll put
        that in the information. The same is true of my Methodist-Episcopal
        ancestors and cousins. LDS may even want to include ordinations, but
        I'd like to see that in with the LDS ordinances area. Gaylon says they
        are working to change the display. Perhaps a separate window with the
        ability to add other events tied to the LDS church would be
        appropriate, much like the ability to add other events to the marriage
        window.

        I include draft and military information. With military service, it is
        important to list the between dates and AQ can accommodate that need.
        In many case, I'll attach images of draft cards to the entry (I had to
        create two new events for the WWI draft and WWII draft cards).

        Any event in a person's life is worth adding to the record. It all
        adds up to produce a complete picture of your ancestors. They are
        those who made you who you are in more ways than one and all are wroth
        considering.

        Tom
      • JimLight
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
          Well, actually, you can enter a Between date. Say you find a person in the
          1920 census, and that person is not in the 1930 census, and the spouse of
          that person is listed as Widow. You can enter 1920/1930 as the date.
          Unfortunately, although you can put this in the individual record, it will
          show as 1920 on the Family View. Alternatively, you can enter Abt 1925, and
          you will be correct, and you might eventually find some other event that
          will lead you to narrow it down further.

          Not so bad.

          Jim

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2012
            Many thanks for the detailed help for my request for insight on what/how to record data. Some of the things confirm my reasoning, and I will review my records to make sure I am using the same methods for all entries.

            Over the years I have gathered data from many sources and people, not all have been verified, but I am getting there.

            Cleadie B