Update to AQ14

  • Margaret Thompson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2 1:22 PM
      Got a message on the flash screen that there was an update to AQ14 to build 2. I clicked on the link and went to the website where it confirmed there was an update to my build 1. I ran the installer but all through the process it said AQ 12.1 and wanted to install in the default AQ12.1 folder. I told it to install in the folder I had AQ14 in C:\Ancestral Quest 14\. After the restart the version still says it is version 14.00.1 6/20/2012. What am I missing?

      Margaret

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2 2:36 PM
        Margaret:

        I apologize that we missed this screen when preparing to release AQ 14. Thank you for alerting us.

        I just fixed the page.

        What you just did was download AQ 12.1.34 and reinstall your copy of AQ 12.1. This left your copy of AQ 14, that you got at the end of beta testing, alone.

        If you'll go through the same steps again, the system should tell you that it is downloading AQ14s.exe rather than AQ12-1Basic.exe, and the installer should inform you that it is installing the new version 14.0.2. (The "flash screen"that you are talking about is what we call the "Newsline" screen. This screen typically only comes up once a day, so if you want to repeat your steps before tomorrow, you'll need to go to AQ's "Help" menu and select the "Newsline" option.)

      • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2 3:42 PM
          Hi,

          I hope you're ready for some suggestions to AQ 14 --

          I love the new features, especially those that I can use to help me
          determine which people need work (the tags) and also the new feature
          to set the summary value in nFS.

          Anyway, when I started using the tabs, I was surprised that whenever I
          hit the Set or Clear value, that it closed the Manage Tags window. I
          had the system set a tag to indicate that the individual's record was
          incomplete for the entire file (and that worked very nicely). Now,
          when I go to edit and make sure that I'm up-to-date, I have to reopen
          the Manage Tags window each time I want to set or clear a tag. Since a
          person can change the selected person from the manage tags window, it
          would be nice to leave the window open until I'm completely done
          managing the tags (for the individual).

          Thanks for a great product and all the new features.
        • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3 8:54 PM
            Hi Gaylon,

            I know this has been requested before, and that it hasn't been
            implemented because it would cause problems with the PAF file format
            (or, at least, I think that was your reason)..

            I really would like to include LDS comformation and intiatory dates in
            my AQ file, but do not want them to show up in the "Other Events"
            section where they cannot be "turned off" when printing group sheets
            for public use (such as for non-LDS related historical and genealogy
            societies).

            Is it possible that at some future date, you'll add those two LDS
            ordinances to the LDS Ordinances section, allowing us to turn off
            using LDS data, or is this something that you won't be considering in
            the foreseeable future?

            Thanks,
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3 10:23 PM
              Tom:

              Yes, I expect that the Confirmation and Initiatory will soon be part of the LDS ordinances section of the screen. It's on our "To Do" list.

              Meanwhile, even as "Other Events", much of the program treats these as LDS events that get turned off for reports, GEDCOM, web pages, etc when you ask to not show LDS ordinances; these should bow out along with Baptism, Endowment, etc.

              If you and others find any situations where this is not true, I'd like to hear the specifics so we can fix it.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4 2:03 AM
                May I add another thought to this? For a while, a few years back, there was
                a special tab on the Edit Individual view named "LDS" where all the LDS
                ordinances was kept in one place. I am still missing it. Can we have it
                back, please?

                If I am working editing an individual's LDS data and someone else
                (non-member?) is coming looking over my shoulder it was quick and easy to
                just change tab to not show the LDS data instead of take the time to find it
                and turn it off from the Tools menu.

                Please, Gaylon, at least consider to take the LDS tab back...

                /Torbjörn

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4 10:40 AM
                  Thanks, Gaylon. That's great news. I hadn't tried to see what happened
                  if I allowed the entry to remain in the "Other Events" section when I
                  unchecked "Use LDS Data" in the General tab of the Preferences window.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4 1:43 PM
                    Torbjörn:

                    The idea of a separate LDS tab was born from the need of having too much data on small screens. Since the earlier releases of AQ, all newer computers have larger screens with higher resolution, and the LDS data easily fits on the main screen. This is, frankly, a more user-friendly means of handling LDS data (many users never noticed the LDS tab).

                    I don't think you'll see the LDS tab come back. But you can simply click on the "More" or "Contact" tab if you want to change the display away from showing LDS data.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 5 3:54 PM

                      Thanks for all you do. The new features are great, but I'm greedy. I
                      want more, more, more...

                      Here's what I would like to see added (and hopefully, it won't be too
                      much work):

                      The ability to display the tags in the Names list (Tab). I'd like to
                      be able to pull up a list of the names in my file and see what tags I
                      have set. As I mentioned in another post, I used the feature to set a
                      tag indicating work needed for my entire datafile. Now I want to be
                      able to focus on those that need work, and ignore those that do not
                      need additional research.

                      Thanks again, for all you do.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 5 4:16 PM
                        Tom:

                        Adding Tags to the name list is on our To Do list.

                        The problem is that without rewriting the Name List, it can't show graphics. So instead of showing little red, blue, etc boxes, it will probably have to show either the description of the tag or a number, 1-7. The same is true of color coding.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 5 6:48 PM
                          Regarding flags:

                          You can use the advanced search to identify the people in your database who do or do not have certain tags. This is a very powerful feature. You can combine relationship filters too. For instance, show me all of the ancestors of grandpa Jones who has the green flag on and also has the yellow flag on but does not have the blue flag on.

                          I am using the green flag to indicate that I have checked or set the summary value in new.familySearch. I set the red flag to indicate that even though they are in nFS, maybe even entered by me, according to Church Policy I am not supposed to do anything else in their behalf.

                          Merlin Kitchen

                          Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 17:16:38 -0600 (MDT)

                          53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
                          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4ff644433da3e444327a9st53vuc
                        • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 6 5:45 AM
                            Super!

                            I would have no problem if it had numbers to represent the set tags.

                            Thanks again, for all that you do.

                            Tom