Enhancements to AQ's syncing with NFS

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2012
      As most of you are probably aware, we are in final beta testing for a new version 14 of AQ.

      Let me make you all aware of something that is a bit unusual for software upgrades.

      Whether you are already licensed to use AQ 12.0 or 12.1, or you are using the free AQ Basics version, you will be able to download and use newer versions of AQ. Any new features, that are specific to a version for which you do not have a key, will be locked until you upgrade your key, but functionality that you already have will continue to work. We may make improvements to some of these earlier features which will be available to you without having to upgrade.

      We have just completed some improvements to the way AQ syncs with NFS. We would like to encourage those of you who are willing, to download a patch which contains these improvements and test them. Until you upgrade your key (available soon), you will not be able to use the new features of AQ 14, but you will be able to use your current features as well as these new improvements listed below:

      * On the Match/Link screen, we have removed the "Mark as Same" and "Mark as Different" buttons. Instead, you will now simply check a box by the NFS records that match your local record.

      * On the "Review/Sync Individual with FamilySearch" screen, the option boxes (they look like check boxes, but most of the time worked as Option boxes), have been changed to work more like check boxes -- you simply check or uncheck them. If there are other options for the event or fact, you will now have a small down-arrow button which you can click to access the old options.

      * Also on the "Review/Sync Individual with FamilySearch" screen, there are new option boxes for the Seal to Parent and Seal to Spouse ordinances. In the past, you had to go to the Spouses/Children or Parents/Siblings screen to download these sealing ordinances from nFS. With this patch, you can download them from the Review Individual screen.

      If any of you would like to take a look at these improvements, and let us know whether there are any glitches with them before we make a general announcement about them, please download this patch file:

      www.inclinesoftware.net/files/Latest.zip

      Then extract the contents to your AQ program folder (typically "C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1", unless you have been beta testing version 14, in which case the version number part of the folder name will be 14 rather than 12.1). You'll know you properly extracted the files if, in the "About AQ" screen, it tells you that you are using AQ 14 with a date of 6/19/2012.

      Let me make sure one thing is clear:

      If you download this patch, the version 14 features will show up in some screens, but your current key will not let them function. If you try to use a version 14 feature, it will suggest that you upgrade your key -- but our online store is not yet selling upgraded keys, so don't try to purchase one until we send you a follow-up announcement alerting you that AQ 14 keys can be purchased :-) We hope to have version 14 and the new keys available by early next week. (If you bought a copy of AQ at a tradeshow from us during the last 9 months or so, you already have a version 14 key.)