879Re: Identifying nFS as data source

    Sep 10, 2011
      --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, "JimLight" <jimlight@...> wrote:

      > I have been using AQ for a couple of years now, but I only recently started using the synchronization with nFS feature to find and update my db with LDS Ordinance data. Previously, I used the synch feature, but did all the updating of ordinance data manually.
      >
      > When I use AQ to update the ordinance data in my db, I would like AQ to also update the source information for the entries updated so that later I know that nFS was the source of the information. I'm sure that there is some option I can click to make that happen, but I don't see it.

      The source of ordinance data is not nFS, but the Temple Ordinance Records, whose dates and places are accessed through nFS (to be renamed Family Tree in the future). Likewise, nFS should be treated the same as any set of family trees, like One World Tree, etc., with a great deal of caution and plenty of backup source material to support the dates you put in your own ancestral file.

      I recently served as a missionary for the Family and Church History Mission and was an assistant group leader in the training zone. Many members mistakenly believe that the information contained in nFS is accurate and that the family connections made through the Temple Ordinance Sealings are the final word. They aren't.

      Currently, some 80 percent of all the problems existing in nFS search are caused by sealings of families that were never properly researched. Work is on-going to develop ways to correct those records and allow us to properly document and source all of the information in nFS and beyond. It may take several more years before it is possible to accomplish that.

      In the meantime, the best we can do is to make sure that our personal records, kept apart from nFS, are accurate and fully sourced. That includes family units.

      Sources come in three flavors: primary (usually government or other "official" records, including Church membership records (also available for deceased relatives through nFS); secondary -- records made after the fact, including census, delayed birth certificates, birth information on death records (the death record is the primary source only for the death date), obituaries, social security death index, draft and military records, and so on; other -- compilations, such as family, county, and community histories, and family trees, such as nFS, One World Tree, Ancestry.com family trees, and so on.

      All events need to be fully sourced with as many records as can be found. A single record is insufficient if other records are available.

      nFS, not only because it will be undergoing a name change in the future, should not be used as a source -- The repository is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are only accessing the records (Church membership and Temple ordinance) through nFS, which acts as a portal, much like Ancestry.com acts as a portal to U.S. Federal Census records, whose repository is National Archives and Records Administration, 7th & Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20408.

      Hopefully, this will help.

      Best regards,

      Tom Huber
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic