535Re: [AQ_NFS] Medieval Research and Sy

  • George Wright
    Jun 8, 2010
      Bob:

      I'm just a user, so I will not (and can not) claim expertise in either New Family Search or in AQ.

      In the help section of New Family Search, I did a search on "Medieval Families Unit" and found the following report:

      "The Medieval Families Unit worked in the old Ancestral File (1985-1995) on royalty and nobility to the present and all pre-1500 families, which was an enormous task. The pre-1500 portion alone had approximately 250,000 individuals.

      "Our main objective was to make sure linkage was correct and then as time permitted go back and adjust dates. Many of the dates are not actual birth dates so we used "abt" before them to signify the date when the individual might have been born. If we had an age at an event we used "Cal" for calculated date (example: age 8 in 1208 we would enter "Cal 1200" for the birth date).

      "The Medieval Families Unit was closed in 1996 and so the task of adjusting all the dates never came to pass.

      "Unfortunately many patrons over the years have downloaded our data and re-submitted it as their own.

      "The main problem when adjusting "about" dates on one family it can have a ripple effect causing other families to have date problems. Most of the people in the Medieval time period did not have an actual birth or death dates, only a date when they were mentioned in some kind of document. We use the "abt" date to put individuals in a time period. We know the dates can be way off as generations may be missing or connections may be incorrect. When dealing with large files, "about" dates can be very problematic and at times can not be resolved."

      I think that the 250,000 individuals in Ancestral File which is discussed above could be related to your duplication frustrations.