275NFS Problem with disputes

  • Richard Rands
    Nov 12, 2009
      I posted the message below a couple days ago as a
      matter of general interest to NFS users. After
      lengthy conversations and assistance from NFS
      support, the following is the conclusion to the
      problem. NFS will not admit to a bug. It is
      certainly a design flaw that causes problems that
      may go undetected unless you go back and review
      your family records long after you have cleaned
      them up. I consider that worse than a bug.
      This problem is important for everyone to understand.

      When the spurious record of an unknown child was
      removed from my great grandfather's family a
      couple of years ago, the record was not removed
      from the system, it was only unlinked. That left
      a disconnected record floating free in the
      system. It had three pieces of information on
      it: the name was "Living Randall", the birth date
      was 1898, and the birthplace was Morgan,
      Utah. Since this child had never existed, no one
      had ever given the child a death date, so NFS
      assigned it a name, "Living Randall". However,
      it had one more item attached to it - the kiss of
      death! It had my original dispute stating that the child had never existed.

      During the past week or so, it appears that some
      new, inexperienced NFS user came along and saw
      the record and decided to combine it with my
      grandfather's record. My grandfather, Harold
      Randall, was born in 1900, in Morgan, Utah. I'd
      like to have a word with the person who did
      this! Unfortunately, NFS does not track who does
      the combining. Once the record was combined to
      my grandfather's record, the dispute was
      transferred to him, and to all of his non-living
      children. But it really set my mother off. She disputed my dispute!

      The solution was to uncombine the bad record,
      remove the dispute on it, and delete the Randall
      name from it. The record is still floating
      around out there, but will be less likely to be combined to a Randall family.

      I discovered the same problem on my paternal line
      with my gg grandfather's family. His family is
      now in dispute because someone combined a
      disputed record to someone in the family. There
      have been dozens of combinations, and we do not
      recognize the disputer. It is going to require
      uncombining every record one at a time until the dispute disappears.

      NFS support tells me to be patient?

      Richard Rands