      To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
      From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 09:51:34 -0700
      Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Unknown spouse

      Tom,

      Yesterday I found a 1900 U.S. census record which lists a relative and her husband. It records her as having 6 children with 6 living. She and her husband had married 16 years earlier in 1884. However in the census record there is another family member listed as seventh child, listed as a son, whose birth date was four years earlier listed as 1880 that the parent's marriage of 1884.

      So far I have not yet found another record showing the name of what I have to assume as the first marriage of the husband and an unknown wife.

      AQ doesn't provide for identifying the unknown mother of the son who was born late in the year of 1880. Nor does it provide a means to identify the father as a biological parent and my relative as his step-mother. Family Tree on Family Search does allow the designation of the relationship of each parent to a child.

      So, I have evidence, not fiction, but no additional information. There is no rumor or folklore involved. The parent's marriage is a factual document. The marriage date is documented. The census record is clear and factual. But it provides information that requires entry of an unknown mother. AQ does not provide a means to enter <unknown> mother. You use a period (.) but I prefer to not assign a RIN number to a period or other missing information. The PAF software provides a means so that a user does not have to create a RIN numbered entry for an unknown person.

      When I experience the same frustration voiced by Karen, I just used PAF to add the unknown spouse to my database and then continued to work with my PAF database using AQ.

      When viewing the <Unknown> spouse entered in PAF but viewed in AQ the MRIN is correctly shown. We use different approaches to compensate for the program deficiency but our results are the same.

      Neither seem to be the best solution but they work. I hope the suggestions help Karen.

      Terry Mason
      Clermont FL

      ---In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, <tomhuber.yah@...> wrote :

      One of the things that I've learned is that if there is something for
      which there is _no_ information, then I treat it as fiction.
      Otherwise, there will be some evidence for that person, even if there
      are no known names.

      If all you have are "hints" from others, then treat the matter as
      fiction and move on. Don't repeat the _rumor_, because that's all it
      is until you find evidence substantiating the unknown spouse. Note:
      That evidence must exist in the form of a primary or secondary source.
      Something that you can use to substantiate the existence of this
      unknown person.

      Such a record would be an indication of more than one marriage in a
      census record, which such information is provided. That is a source
      for your information. Other sources for this are marriage records
      (usually the license) where there is an indication that this is not
      the person's first marriage -- note that not all marriage records
      contain this kind of information.

      You also know, from that record, that you are working with an earlier
      marriage. But you do not know if the marriage ended in the death of
      that other person or if it was a divorce (sometimes, a divorce is
      indicated, but it is rare).

      Unfortunately, AQ does not provide a means to simply mark a person as
      "Unknown" -- you can do this with gender, but not the name. You must
      enter something in one of the name fields. I will use a period (.) and
      save the record. Then I can order the spouses and move on, keeping in
      mind that I have no other information about this person.

      Since I am concerned about obtaining enough information to have temple
      work performed, I'll spend time searching for additional records that
      might help. In almost every case, I can find some record somewhere
      that will provide the information I need to fill in a name and even
      some dates.

      Now, if I have not found any further information, I go back to the
      family view and _delete_ the person. Since an MRIN has been created,
      the person is now "UNKNOWN" when I pull down the list of spouses. The
      MRIN holds that slot open. If I later find that there really wasn't
      another spouse, then I must delete the marriage record.

      Hopefully, this helps.

      Tom

      On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 11:24:09 -0700, you wrote:

      >I am a new user to AQ, migrated from PAF.
      >In PAF, there was a option to add an *unknown* spouse. I can't see this function in AQ.
      >
      >Any suggestions?
      >Thank you.
      >Karen

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic