      From: "Donald R. Snow" <snowd@...>
      To: "AQ NFS" <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "Snow Don Sr" <snowdr@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:03:23 AM
      Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Checking in Collaboration File

      My daughter and I are still having the same problem trying to check in a file or even publish a new file to the Collaboration Server.  After not being able to check in the file, I tried GEDCOMing it all out and into a new file and that one still won't publish to form a new Collaboration file.  Everything just seems to time out.  I've tried setting the time for 300 seconds and deleting all toolbars on Internet Explorer like Tom suggested and that doesn't seem to help.  What should our next step be?

      Don Snow

      On 2013-12-23 12:07 PM, tomhuber.yah@... wrote:

      Thanks for the response.

      I had thought that the collaboration files were on their own servers
      and not tied to the LDS Church's server farm that provides support for
      FamilySearch.

      I.E., because it is tied to the operating system, impacts your
      computer operation. Even if you do not use it, if there are address
      bars from Yahoo, Google, Bing, etc., all use memory. And the less
      memory you have for your other apps, which may have nothing to do with
      I.E., are still impacted. Java can be sensitive to low memory, as
      well, but it seems to fair better than most windows-based
      applications.

      If your copy of I.E. does not have any active toolbars, check the
      control panel to see if any are listed in the Programs, and remove
      them. That will free up memory that is otherwise taken up by those
      routines when the system boots. You'd be surprised how much removing
      extraneous, third-party toolbars can improve overall system
      performance.

      Tom

      On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:05:07 -0500, you wrote:

      >OK, I guess, but Tom, you lost me. Collaboration is between my file and AQ, not FamilySearch.
      >The master file sits at an AQ site and communication is between the Collaboration Master and my resident file.
      >The only way that FamilySearch should slow down AQ is if AQ Collaboration Master Files are being stored on the same servers as FamilySeach.
      >
      >You mentioned keeping I.E. clean. Does the Collaboration Program piggy-back on I.E? I assumed it used a JAVA script.
      >
      >When I am using AQ, I usually don’t have other processes running. I might have a spreadsheet open if I am using it as a tool for AQ.
      >My system shouldn’t be slow. I have a dual-core processor with 4GB of memory. Maybe some program is not releasing memory.
      >I will reboot, go into the Task Master and stop all extraneous processes, just to make sure; and then run AQ before any other process.
      >If the problem still exists, I will send a problem report to Incline.

      Dr. Donald R. Snow, Retired Professor of Mathematics, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
      snowd@...

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic