1203Re: updating ordinances

  • ghfindlay
    Feb 19, 2013
      I have taken some time to look into this. I found 3 things:

      1) The Update Ordinances function seems to work as designed.

      2) FamilySearch is starting to have some issues with dropping the communication between AQ and nFS. As a result, some things that in the past have run quickly, now often run slowly, or not at all. We have let FamilySearch know of our concern that they may have broken something recently. I have found that if a process such as updating ordinances seems to 'hang,' that you may need to wait a day and try again. Most of the time, things seem to work normally for me, but we are hearing from a few users of both AQ and nFS, that some processes which no longer complete on one day, will complete the next day.

      3) One of the safeguards in the design of the Update Ordinance function may lead a user to occasionally think that something didn't work. Here is an example:

      In FamilySearch, let's say that you have:

      Robert (AAA-BBBB) == Mary (CCC-DDDD)

      Robert Jr (EEE-FFFF)

      You also have a duplicate for Robert, such that there is also:

      Robert (GGG-HHHH) == Mary (CCC-DDDD)

      Robert Jr (EEE-FFFF)

      In the Temple records, Robert Jr is sealed to Robert (AAA-BBBB) and Mary (CCC-DDDD). But you have linked your copy of Robert Sr to (GGG-HHHH), and there is no sealing between this record of Robert Sr and Robert Jr.

      When AQ looks for Sealings -- whether spouse or child/parent -- it requires that the links are established correctly, otherwise it will assume that the sealing was not completed between the people in your file.

      I don't know whether this example was clear enough, but I hope it helps.

      In any case, the only time I saw in my testing, where a sealing was not transferred from the Temple System to AQ through the Update Ordinance feature, was when people were not linked correctly.

      If anyone has examples of where AQ fails to update an ordinance when linkages are correct, I would like for them to send me a backup of their database, and a note as to which people are not being updated.

      Gaylon