33Draft eLibrary Project Proposal

  • Keith & Joy Sorbo
    Nov 18, 2002
      Greetings friends,

      Marc B. & I spent a 1 1/2 day together this week end working on
      a plan to get our eLibrary project going. I am writing this
      email to inform you of our conclusions and requesting your input
      regarding them.

      Please be sure to read, "How you can help" at the end of the
      message!

      Note: this proposal is also attached in word doc format for
      printing.

      eLIBRARY PROJECT STRUCTURE

      General Description of the Project

      The eLibrary Project is a part of our goal to bring the
      electronic media into our Bible schools and colleges of Asia
      Pacific. The goal of the project is to provide access to the
      large amount of materials available in digital format. We are
      targeting schools that do not have an inexpensive Internet
      access for their students. We hope to gather materials from a
      variety of sources, catalog them and place them on CD's for
      distribution to schools at little or no cost other than computer
      hardware. The school will place the materials on their library
      server. At that point faculty and students will be able to
      access the materials through computers connected to the server
      on campus.

      We propose the following elements of a project structure. Some
      are a one-time task (#1 & #4), while the others are on-going as
      we continue to develop additional resources.

      Steps to be taken:

      1. Creating Project Standards.

      This includes agreeing on the overall goals we have for this
      project and the creation of a standard for the "meta data" that
      we will collect for all the resources we have or will obtain. By
      "meta data" we mean information about the resources we collect
      and how we structure that information. (See attached document.)

      We are at this stage right now. Marc & I have proposed a data
      structure that I have attached as a word document. We need your
      input on the proposed data structure for our meta data. Would
      you please detach the attached document, look it over and give
      your comments. We should get this right before we begin
      cataloguing.

      2. Collect and Prepare Resources for Distribution.

      This will be from all sources, including primarily public domain
      materials and caching web sites. Marc B. and his office will be
      concentrating on collecting materials in the Indonesian
      language. Perhaps the Hong Kong school would be willing to share
      their Mandarin resources. We have several others who have
      indicated their willingness to be involved. (Paul Lewis, David
      Hymes both already have significant amount of data.)

      Marc and I are proposing the meta data structure to be able to
      incorporate languages other than English. This will allow us to
      distribute Mandarin, Japanese, Indonesian, Korean, or other
      language materials.

      These catalogued resources will be submitted by the cataloguers
      to the repository for processing and inclusion on CDRoms. The
      resulting CD's will be designed in such a way so as to be
      installed in a school server with our php scripts already
      installed. (See #4). The librarian will see the list of
      resources on this particular CD and have the option of
      installing part or all of the resources.

      We are hoping to have individuals in different countries/regions
      who are willing to duplicate and distribute the data CD's to
      interested parties in their region. Cost should be minimal,
      probably no more than US$0.30 per CD if you do it yourself or
      more if you have them done commercially.

      3. Create Meta Data records.

      This is the process of describing and cataloguing the resources
      we have collected. It is our hope that each contributor will
      provide the minimum cataloguing data in a pre-defined data
      structure.

      We will provide an Access database to the each contributor. That
      person will then type in as much information as possible for
      each resource he or she collects. Cataloguing the resources is
      vitally important for they will be of little value unless it is
      easy for faculty and students to find the materials they need.

      This meta data will accompany the resources we distribute and
      allow the install program to add information about the resource
      into the catalog on the school's server and possibly add
      cataloguing data directly into the school's card catalog.

      4. Design Systems to Allow Users to Access the Resources on the
      School Server.

      This includes creating php scripts and mysql data structures to
      be installed on the schools' servers. I will be working with
      Marc's office to create these scripts. We hope to have several
      working pilot sites within 3-4 months.

      At this time we hope to provide at least 2 or 3 ways for a user
      to find the data.

      a. Full text search. Each and every resource would be index word
      by word and users could search on any or every word. (Requires a
      lot of disk space!)

      b. Browse by hierarchy. Together with our catalogers, we hope to
      build a subject hierarchy/tree into the meta data of every
      resource catalogued. E.g. Bible>NT>Commentary>John or
      Graphics>Bible>OT>Characters, etc. We would also provide
      keywords so users could search by author, title, subject, or
      keyword.

      c. Provide a means to directly import catalog data into the
      local school's library cataloging system. At the present we are
      looking for an open source PHP based library system that we
      could recommend to schools that currently have no good library
      software. We hope to be able to include MARC record data for
      each data so that all library programs could import the
      information directly into their system.

      5. Assist Schools With Hardware Issues.

      We must determine a way to assist schools set up the hardware
      and software needed to run the library server. The primary
      challenge here is how to help schools set up a Linux server that
      can handle the eLibrary. The recommended setup is one computer
      with at least 80G hard disk dedicated as a Linux server,
      connected to as many student or faculty computers as you want.
      We choose Linux because of its extreme stability (and it is
      free!)

      a. One approach is for us to provide "appliances" (PC's in a
      small box size of a big book, you add keyboard and monitor) that
      are pre-configured and installed ready to go. This is a good
      idea because all the school need do is plug it in; downside of
      this is that it puts us in the hardware business.

      b. Installing Linux on a locally purchased computer is another
      idea, except for the challenge that faces those installing
      Linux. We could provide Linux distribution CD's with
      instructions on how to install, but what if someone runs into a
      snag?

      c. Another possibility is creating an installation that could be
      placed on a computer already running windows. This is an
      attractive idea because it means you can use the computer for
      other things. Problem is this type of system is not efficient
      when you want to share the materials on other computers.

      How can you help?

      We are pursuing an Open Source philosophy on this project. I.e.
      there is no one organization that is in charge or owns all
      aspects of the project. The only way it will succeed if we have
      many contributors.

      1. Give your input regarding this proposed project structure and
      regarding the proposed meta data structure.

      2. Be willing to serve as a contributor. This would imply giving
      time and bandwidth. You may need to download materials or
      already have them on hand. We ask for your willingness to type
      in cataloguing information for each resource. This will be of
      greatest value if different individuals can assist within their
      area of expertise. We have no staff to do this work! We need
      these people NOW!

      3. Be willing to serve as a distributor for a country. We will
      need these people in the future. This may involve some cost that
      you could absorb in your ministry funds or charge schools your
      cost.

      4. If you have computer skills, be willing to learn how to
      install Linux software and then assist schools in your region
      that have hardware but no one to get them going.

      Thanks for taking the time to read this long document. Please
      address any suggestions directly to the forum for general
      discussion.

      Keith Sorbo
      Based on input from consultations with Marc B.
      November 18, 2002

      Proposed Meta Data Structure
      (see attached doc file for properly formatted table)
      FieldName FieldCode Description
      ItemNumber X Left blank by cataloger
      CDNumber X Left blank by cataloger
      Description ** Several sentence description of these materials
      written by cataloger.
      DeweyCall A Space between each call number line (e.g. 234.34
      .C345)
      LCCall A Space between each call number line (e.g. LB234 .C345)
      PrimaryAuthor ** Used for indexing, reversed
      AuthorString A Multiple Authors, reversed, separated by | (bar)
      Title ** As published
      OriginalTitle A If translated or renamed
      Language ** Using standard internet language codes (en-english,
      id-Indonesian, zn-Chinese, ja-Japanese etc)
      Publisher **
      PublisherPlace ** City, ST (Country?)
      DatePublished ** String, multiple years as needed
      VolumeOrSeries A Volume number, series title, journal source,
      etc
      BodyComment A Comment to appear in catalog card; could include
      table of contents
      TableOfContents A Can be used to enter detailed information
      about a book
      ISBN A
      SubjectString ** Subject tracings separated by | (bar)
      KeyWords ** Keywords separated by | (bar)
      ResourceType ** e.g. book, journal, article, dictionary,
      website, etc
      FileType ** Html, pdf, doc/rtf, ppt, text
      PathNameOnHD ** Relative to eLib directory
      FileSizeKB ** File size in KB
      OriginalProducer ** Person or organization that produced the
      materials
      OriginalSourceOrURL ** From what eSource, CD or internet URL
      HierarchyString ** Location in category hierarchy. Please follow
      the guide developed in the ApeLearning forum. Words within one
      path separated by > (greater than), multiple category
      hierarchies separated by | (bar)
      PathNameOnServer X Relative to root of www server
      Update X Y - N Is this an update of existing material to be
      overwritten on server?
      MARCFlag X Y or N - A MARC record exists (**.mrc) for this item
      MARCRecordString X MARC record enclosed by [[ ]]- format?

      Field Code Key:
      X - leave blank to be entered by final processing office
      ** - required field, to be entered by cataloger
      A - Optional field to be included by cataloger if available

      He is happiest, be he king or peasant who finds peace
      in his home.
      -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)-

      Keith & Joy Sorbo
      Email: Keith@... ICQ#: 85086058
      WebSite: http://www.thesorbos.com
      Postal: Kotak Pos 162, Malang, JATIM 65100 Indonesia
      Phone: (62 341) 473 537 Fax: (62 341) 484 892 Cell: (62
      817) 530 601