Remembering A &P

  • M
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2011
      I will always remember the coffee smell as a kid as my Mother was shpping at the LLocal A&P in Boston Mass area.Even after i was out living on my own i would always shop at that same A&P store,now there are no A&P Stores left in Mass New Hampshire or Maine.I miss the smell of the 8 o clock coffee being ground .
    • Charles Sizemore
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2011
        I worked at A&T in the early 70s. I didn't drink coffee back then but I loved the smell of eight o'clock as the beans were being ground.

        I will always remember the coffee smell as a kid as my Mother was shpping at the LLocal A&P in Boston Mass area.Even after i was out living on my own i would always shop at that same A&P store,now there are no A&P Stores left in Mass New Hampshire or Maine.I miss the smell of the 8 o clock coffee being ground .

      • caddi410
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2011
          I went to work at A&P in 1949 at 75 cents per hour, in Kingsport TN.Some of the things I rember is definately the coffee smell, and the distinct A&P smell which was in all of their stores. I worked in the produce dept. It had wood produce racks. We would pull the produce at night and put it in a small cooler. I also remember how strick they were. All employees wore a white shirt and black bow tie.The store manager was a fine man named George Potrakas. I remember some prices like jello 3 cents. Waldorf toilet tissue 3 cents and scott was 5 cents. The dairy case may have been 12 feet long.2 brands of can biscuits. The meat case may have been 12 feet long, with sawdust on the cutting floor. Shopping carts was 2 wire baskets on a small metal cart. That store closed in 1950. Grocery pricing was done with a very modern set of stick stamps made by NCR. This is some of the things I remember