Re: A&P Building Landmarked in Atlanta

  • apteahistory
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      Ken,
      Thanks for the insight.

      --- In APTEAHISTORY@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Dillard"
      <kendillard66@...> wrote:

      > --- In APTEAHISTORY@yahoogroups.com, "apteahistory" <apteahistory@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks to Craig Grybowski for passing this along:
      > >
      > > FYI
      > >
      > > On Valentine's Day, the Atlanta Urban Design Commission granted
      > > landmark status to the former A&P Warehouse in Atlanta, GA.
      > >
      > > Pending approval by the City Council and the Mayor—both of which
      > > should be forthcoming—A&P history will have a permanent and
      prominent
      > > place in Atlanta.
      > >

      > > A copy of the application for this status will be uploaded to
      this
      > > site soon.
      > >
      > Good to a physical location of A&P's long history in Atlanta will
      be
      > preserved. Some former A&P's are still in use as supermarkets in
      > Atlanta by Kroger and Publix, though they tend to be the later
      > constructions and may be heavily altered beyond recognition as an
      A&P.
      > Most older A&P's still standing have become gyms, dollar stores,
      auto
      > parts stores, pet stores, etc., but retain the exterior appearance
      of
      > A&P. I don't know of any centennial location still being used as a
      > supermarket. A&P dates to at least the 1920's and closed their
      Atlanta
      > operations in 1999, leaving many memories of the chain in the
      region.
      > Unfortunately, from the 1970's onward their stores were perceived
      as
      > overpriced, which had some validity, out dated and dirty, which had
      > varying degrees of validity, depending on location. From the 1980's
      > onward, stores had been replaced and modernized beginning with the
      > FutureStore format and when the Big Star locations were acquired in
      > 1991, most of the outdated A&P and Big Star locations that remained
      > had closed, leaving only the busiest are most modern stores open.
      A&P
      > had returned to having well stocked and clean stores by the 90's,
      but
      > the customers were gone by then and the prices were never adjusted
      > the competition. Very few of their stores that were in operation by
      > the late 80's were poorly located, a problem that plagued them in
      > parts of the outer regions surrounding Atlanta. In many a small
      town,
      > the old A&P remained in declining business areas while new
      competition
      > had opened in newer shopping centers in higher traffic areas.

    • priceandpride
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2007
        what about the former A&P in Provincetown? Was that a centennial location?

        wrote:

        > Ken,
        > Thanks for the insight.
        >

        > --- In APTEAHISTORY@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Dillard"
        > <kendillard66@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In APTEAHISTORY@yahoogroups.com, "apteahistory" <apteahistory@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Thanks to Craig Grybowski for passing this along:
        > > >
        > > > FYI
        > > >
        > > > On Valentine's Day, the Atlanta Urban Design Commission granted
        > > > landmark status to the former A&P Warehouse in Atlanta, GA.
        > > >
        > > > Pending approval by the City Council and the Mayor�both of which
        > > > should be forthcoming�A&P history will have a permanent and
        > prominent
        > > > place in Atlanta.
        > > >

        > > > A copy of the application for this status will be uploaded to
        > this
        > > > site soon.
        > > >
        > > Good to a physical location of A&P's long history in Atlanta will
        > be
        > > preserved. Some former A&P's are still in use as supermarkets in
        > > Atlanta by Kroger and Publix, though they tend to be the later
        > > constructions and may be heavily altered beyond recognition as an
        > A&P.
        > > Most older A&P's still standing have become gyms, dollar stores,
        > auto
        > > parts stores, pet stores, etc., but retain the exterior appearance
        > of
        > > A&P. I don't know of any centennial location still being used as a
        > > supermarket. A&P dates to at least the 1920's and closed their
        > Atlanta
        > > operations in 1999, leaving many memories of the chain in the
        > region.
        > > Unfortunately, from the 1970's onward their stores were perceived
        > as
        > > overpriced, which had some validity, out dated and dirty, which had
        > > varying degrees of validity, depending on location. From the 1980's
        > > onward, stores had been replaced and modernized beginning with the
        > > FutureStore format and when the Big Star locations were acquired in
        > > 1991, most of the outdated A&P and Big Star locations that remained
        > > had closed, leaving only the busiest are most modern stores open.
        > A&P
        > > had returned to having well stocked and clean stores by the 90's,
        > but
        > > the customers were gone by then and the prices were never adjusted
        > > the competition. Very few of their stores that were in operation by
        > > the late 80's were poorly located, a problem that plagued them in
        > > parts of the outer regions surrounding Atlanta. In many a small
        > town,
        > > the old A&P remained in declining business areas while new
        > competition
        > > had opened in newer shopping centers in higher traffic areas.

      • aboda70
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
          OK: If you go to Groceteria.com (message board) you'll find
          a A&P Centennial store in Morristown New Jersey that's still open.
          You have to the section in the misc area (near the bottom of the
          page) to read the article and see the store.
          It lacks the weathervane and the outside needs some work.
          The store sign is more modern (not the classic A&P sign) but
          you'll see that its a Centennial.
        • Frank_Nieves
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
            --- In APTEAHISTORY@yahoogroups.com, "aboda70" <aboda70@...> wrote:

            > OK: If you go to Groceteria.com (message board) you'll find
            > a A&P Centennial store in Morristown New Jersey that's still open.
            > You have to the section in the misc area (near the bottom of the
            > page) to read the article and see the store.
            > It lacks the weathervane and the outside needs some work.
            > The store sign is more modern (not the classic A&P sign) but
            > you'll see that its a Centennial.

            Hi,

            Can you show the picture or send a direct link to the A&P Centennial
            Store because I can't find it.

            Best wishes,

            Frank
          • aboda70
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
              OK....I'll explain where to find it.

              First: Go to Groceteria.com

              Second: Go to the upper right hand of the screen where it
              says Message board. Click on it to open it.

              Third: Go to the forum called Miscellaneous And Not Specific
              This is located toward the bottom of the message board

              Fourth: Open up this up by clicking on it. You'll see various
              titles posted here. Go to the title called A&P Centennial
              Stores Still Housing Supermarkets. This is on 30th post on
              down. Just scroll down to the 30th post from the top
              Open this one up. You'll see a picture of a Centennial Store
              from Atlanta on the top of this page...isn't it nice?

              Five: On the 12th post down toward the bottom of this page you'll
              see the A&P that I spoke of in Morristown New Jersey

              Let Me Know IF You Found It....Just follow the directions above.
            • Frank_Nieves
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
                --- In APTEAHISTORY@yahoogroups.com, "aboda70" <aboda70@...> wrote:

                > OK....I'll explain where to find it.
                >
                > First: Go to Groceteria.com
                >
                > Second: Go to the upper right hand of the screen where it
                > says Message board. Click on it to open it.
                >
                > Third: Go to the forum called Miscellaneous And Not Specific
                > This is located toward the bottom of the message board
                >
                > Fourth: Open up this up by clicking on it. You'll see various
                > titles posted here. Go to the title called A&P Centennial
                > Stores Still Housing Supermarkets. This is on 30th post on
                > down. Just scroll down to the 30th post from the top
                > Open this one up. You'll see a picture of a Centennial Store
                > from Atlanta on the top of this page...isn't it nice?
                >
                > Five: On the 12th post down toward the bottom of this page you'll
                > see the A&P that I spoke of in Morristown New Jersey
                >
                > Let Me Know IF You Found It....Just follow the directions
                above.

                Yup, I found them, and the Centennials are they types we shopped in
                as kids with our parents. Also, I wonder why no pictures of S&H
                green stamp appear. Maybe not all the stores had them, but here's a
                link to a picture hopefully:

                http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/04/26/business/leonhardt_650.
                gif

                "Stamps programs faded away during the recession of the 1970's.
                Sperry and Hutchinson was sold by the founders' successors in 1981,
                and was purchased from a holding firm by a member of the founding
                Sperry family in 1999. At that time, only about 100 stores were
                offering Green Stamps. Eventually, though, the company rebounded with
                the birth of the Internet and now offers "greenpoints" as rewards for
                online purchases. (http://www.greenpoints.com)

                If you still have boxes of Green Stamps tucked away in your attic,
                here's good news. You can still trade them in for either cash or
                merchandise. Cash value of 1,200 stamps is $1.20 and you can still
                get a catalog by calling them at 1-800-435-5674.

                I wonder if I can get a new toaster?"
                http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mgreenstamps.html

                S&H Green Stamps
                From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26H_Green_Stamps

                Thanks for your help.

                Frank
              • Michael R Rambo Jr.
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
                  You can also go to apsupermarket.com, click on "Please select a
                  store", click on "view all A&P locations", and scroll down and click
                  on the Morristown store to "Set as my store"