Kafi 19 ...My humble take

  • manzurejaz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 8:32 AM
      Kafi no 19
      The way I understand it.

      *** I will not be prisoner of cliché that Shah Husain was so and so
      and his poetry is supposed to mean so and so. No pre-determined
      interpretation, if you will. ******

      Line 1.

      Ni saiyyo asiN nainaN daiy aakhay laggay (ashtaiy)
      (Oh my friends I followed the way my eyes dictated)

      Its quick pre-determined meaning is that I fell in love as my eyes
      looked into my beloved's eyes. But, at the same time it also means
      that I based my views on my observations. Or, I saw the reality as it
      is and not as the establishment wanted me to see. In other places,
      Shah Hussain attaches high importance to seeing, hearing and other
      human senses. For example, he says:
      Kuchi gal suniN na jandi, kachi haddaN vich rachi!
      (One is unable to hear the truth because half cooked truth have
      become the habit of thinking)
      Similarly, using your eyes to see the reality is not given: one has
      to struggle to attain it.

      Line 2.

      JinnahaN pak nigahaN hooiaN, se kahiN na jaNday thaggay
      (The ones whose eyes [sight] is purified, can never be decieved)

      This line is extension of the first line saying that the ones who
      have purified their sight can never be deceived. It means that the
      process of seeing the reality, in a truthful way, purifies one's
      sight. Once it is done, one cannot be deceived by the
      appearance. "Thaggi" is through misrepresentation or deception, to
      see and show what it is not. (For example, just example, to believe
      what the media says about Iraq or Musharraf or any other damn thing)

      Line 3.

      kalay pat naN chadahay sufaidi, kag naN thaiNday baggay

      (The black silk can never be whitened, as a black crow will never be
      white)

      Black silk cannot be colored white and crows will never be white.
      Just imagine black eyes in the first and second line becomes black
      silk and the deception assumes the white color. Shah Hussain says
      that it is an absolute truth that purified sight cannot be deceived
      like black silk can never be whitened, like crows are never white.

      Line 4.

      Shah Hussain shahadat paain, jo marn mitraN daiy aggay

      (Shah Hussain, the ones who die for their friend are martyrs)

      In the last line the pak nigahaN are reflected in the mittar (friend,
      love). One who dies for the truth, led by his/her purified
      perspective, is a martyr.
    • AUKHAN786A@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 3:25 PM
        Good interpretation. I wish there were an English word for the Urdu word "DeeD".
        Amanullah
      • Manzur Ejaz
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2 7:31 AM
          Takni, vaikhni are for DeeD.