Shah Hussain: Kafi no 11

  • manzurejaz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2005
      Please read the following and see how can we improve the translation
      of the text. You have original text in Shahmukhi as well as in
      Gurmukhi.
      Manzur Ejaz

      Text Shahmukhi on apnaorg page:
      http://www.apnaorg.com/poetry/shah/shah6.html
      Text Gurmukhi on apnaorg page no 5
      http://www.apnaorg.com/poetry/shahg/

      Text meanings:

      Ashiq hovaiN, taN Ishq kamavaiN

      (If you are lover then belabor for love)

      Rah ishq sooee da nakka, dhaga hovaiN taN javaiN

      (the passage of love is like needle head, you will go
      through it if you are [made like] thread)

      Bahar pak andar alowda, kia tooN sheikh kahavaiN

      (You keep yourself clean from outside but pouluted
      from inside, [and yet] you call yourself a [religious]
      leader)

      Kahay Hussain jay faragh thivaiN, taN khas maratba
      pavaiN

      (Says Hussain, if you abandon then you will reach a
      distinguished place)

      ** In the last line 'faragh' has various meanings
      which should be pondered upon.