Re: Some calc'd #'s (trying again)

  • harlanzo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2002
      The defensive stuff is very interesting. I noticed VAn HOrn made the
      defensive stop leaders. I assume this is an anomaly from past years
      (though he masy not have been as bad a defender as he seemed when his
      help D was Eschmeyer and Stephon).

      On another defensive note, did you happen to chart the Mavs D in the
      playoffs? If so, was it significantly worse than in the regular
      season?

      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Dean Oliver <deano@r...> wrote:

      > Just quickly calculating some things and running them as leaders.
      Here are

      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...> wrote:
        > The defensive stuff is very interesting. I noticed VAn HOrn made
        the
        > defensive stop leaders. I assume this is an anomaly from past
        years
        > (though he masy not have been as bad a defender as he seemed when
        his
        > help D was Eschmeyer and Stephon).

        Van Horn's number is better than in year's past. Everyone on the
        Nets improved substantially this year. Defense is such a team thing,
        guys working together. Individual defense is hard to measure. I'm
        thinking that there really are only a few players in the league who
        truly can dictate a team defense. Most go along with the scheme and
        are improved/hurt by the level of communication/coordination.

        As I've mentioned before, we're undertaking an effort in the WNBA to
        take some additional stats to help characterize defense. Things like
        field goals allowed, field goals stopped (not necessarily blocked),
        forced turnovers (not necessarily steals). This won't get
        everything. Here are 2 examples. 1 guy shows 10 stops and 11 scores
        allowed. Another guy shows 5 stops and 5 scores allowed. Who is the
        better defender? What if the first guy was covering someone who
        normally scores on 15 of 25 possessions and the second guy was
        covering someone who usually scores on 4 of 9 possession.

        Because defense can match up against the offense, who guys match up
        against can be an important factor. We're not trying for that here.
        Doug Steele tries with mixed results.

        > On another defensive note, did you happen to chart the Mavs D in
        the
        > playoffs? If so, was it significantly worse than in the regular
        > season?

        I have the numbers. Give me a day or two to look at them. Keep in
        mind that they did clean Minnesota's clock. Or are you just
        interested in the series against Sacramento? I'm guessing you only
        remember the last series.

        I'll look.