Sac vs. LAL, Defense

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2001
      I scored the defense of this game extensively tonight to point out some of
      the difficulty in evaluating defense and to get some opinions on how to
      best handle some of these difficulties. For reference, attached is the
      counter of defensive numbers as well as my calculated offensive and
      defensive stats.

      The Defensive Stats stuff contains my tracking of who was responsible for

      Forcing a missed shot (not including blocks)
      Forcing a turnover (not including steals)
      Forcing missed foul shots (more important now with bad FT shooters)
      Allowed FG
      Allowed FT

      You'll notice that I don't account for allowed offensive rebounds, a
      potentially significant omission. It is just very difficult to keep track
      of who is responsible for another player getting an OR.

      There are a lot of halves assigned to each of the stats. This happens in
      defense when double-teams occur, for instance. But there are also "Team"
      numbers, when I couldn't assign a stat easily to 1 or 2 people. Fast
      breaks when no one is back often go to Team. Putbacks off of ORs can be
      difficult to assign because the assigned defender might be nowhere near
      the guy putting the ball back.

      The summary of defensive stats are below, where FMiss includes forced
      misses & blocks, FTO includes forced TO's and steals, Scores include field
      goals and free throws.

      FMiss FTO FMisFTA Scores
      Fox 6 3 0 7
      Grant 17 2 1 8.5
      O'Neal 8 2.5 1 5
      Bryant 4.5 1.5 0 3
      Fisher 9 1 0 2.5
      Shaw 2 1 0 5
      Horry 6 2 0 5
      Lue 1 0 0 0
      Madsen 2 0 0 0
      George 1 0 0 0
      Team 2.5 4 0.5 3.5

      FMiss FTO FMisFTA Scores
      Stojako 3 0 2.5 2.5
      Webber 4 0 0 6
      Divac 11 2 0.5 6.5
      Christi 7.5 3 0 9.5
      William 2 2 0 2
      Jackson 2.5 2 0 7.5
      Turkogl 3 1 0.5 1
      Pollard 4 2 1.5 2
      Barry 2 1 0 2
      Funderb 0 1 0 1
      Martin 0 0 0.5 0.5
      Team 1 0 0 9

      So what do we do with this? Just looking at these numbers, can we say who
      had a good game or a bad game?

      As I watched, Christie looked to be doing a good job on Bryant until the
      4th. Bryant got most of his points on Jackson, which Bryant mentioned in
      the postgame interview. (The #s are broken down by quarter in the
      spreadsheet.) Divac did do a pretty good job. Horace Grant had an
      outstanding game shutting down Webber. Broadcasters said Fox had a great
      game against Stojakovic. Pollard also did a pretty good job on Shaq.

      What did anyone else notice defensively?

      Do these seem like reasonable numbers to collect?

      www.tsoft.com/~deano/index.html
      deano@...