Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: NBA and scoring

  • Gary Collard
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2001
      Dean Oliver wrote:

      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., harlanzo@y... wrote:
      >
      > Harlanzo suggested a few changes to "make the game entertaining and
      > watchable." One at a time...
      >
      > > Obviously, enforcing the already enacted 5-second back down rule
      > > could help but I've never seen the rule called.
      >
      > I've seen it enforced, but not since early in the season. I
      > haven't seen it violated much either. It's a good rule that has made
      > something of a difference. It fixed only one egregious problem
      > though. There is still a lot of waiting around for the perfect shot,
      > while actually jeopardizing the team's chances by waiting so long.
      > (How to quantify this?)

      The data's not available I suspect, but shooting percentage by time left on
      the clock might be instructive. 14-24 are probably pretty good, because
      these are fast break or open shot situations for the most part, but it mighe
      be interesting to see <4, 5-8 and 9-12 (or other granularites) to see if
      waiting longer is beneficial.

      --
      Gary Collard | Office: garyc@..., 469-357-8485
      i2 | Mobile: 214-924-3263
      | Home: collardg@..., 972-790-1166

      Co-Moderator, Society for American Baseball Research (SABR)
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2001
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Gary Collard <garyc@i...> wrote:

        > The data's not available I suspect, but shooting percentage by time
        left on
        > the clock might be instructive. 14-24 are probably pretty good,
        because
        > these are fast break or open shot situations for the most part, but
        it mighe
        > be interesting to see <4, 5-8 and 9-12 (or other granularites) to
        see if
        > waiting longer is beneficial.

        I've never seen these data (maybe Harvey Pollack has it?). I'm going
        to a HS game tonight and I'll track this during the game. Can't
        really do it on a televised game.