Re: [APBR_analysis] Traded Players summation

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26 10:40 PM
      On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, mikel_ind wrote:

      > Here's a partial list of players who were traded midseason. Attempts

      [...]

      > Charles Outlaw .. Orl 10 16 .567 7.0 5.6 0.9 - 16.0
      > ................. Phe 73 24 .532 6.8 6.5 2.4 - 18.5

      I think Outlaw is on your list of players experiencing the biggest decline
      in productivity this season? It looks like it wasn't due to being with
      the Suns, he was worse with Orlando.

      [...]

      > Only Brad Miller and Kevin Ollie played better (by my reckoning) with
      > the better team. The other 15 uphold the traditional notion that
      > players usually get better production on a weaker team. This in
      > contradiction to an earlier study done by yours truly.

      It's a very tough research topic, for the reasons we've talked about for
      several weeks. I think it ties in with the problem of predicting NBA
      success based on college stats, both tasks are made difficult by the many
      complications caused by the context of the player's teammates and how his
      skills fit with theirs. I think if we solved one problem, we would be a
      long ways toward solving the other. (Prediction of college players is
      further complicated by additional factors that people have mentioned such
      as varying strength of schedule, self-discipline to keep learning the
      game, etc.)