Re: The Big D

  • dlirag
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "thedawgsareout" <kpelton08@h...> wrote:
      > If nobody minds, I'm going to drift off into a tangent here about
      the
      > kinds of questions we ask. I am a particular fan of analysis of a
      > particular player 'vs. replacement player', probably because of my
      > baseball background.
      >
      > Dean's post the other day about the Spurs without Duncan got me
      > thinking that this 'replacement player' line of thinking might just
      > be silly and completely inapplicable when it comes to guys like
      > Duncan.

      The concept of the replacement player is an established and
      statistically useful one in pro baseball, but I don't know if it will
      be as effective for us as it has been for sabermetricists. On the
      other hand, to analyze a player by comparing him to an imaginary
      replacement seems like a theoretically sound way to measure his
      contribution whatever the sport.