Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Answering comments on Efficiency vs. Productivity (Western Econ Assoc Mtg)

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 11:03 PM
      On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

      [...]

      > There really could be a lot of econometrics in evaluating
      > basketball. For anyone interested, especially those in the Seattle
      > area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
      > Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple sessions
      > on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get

      They don't appear to have set the program yet...most economics of sports
      stuff that I've seen is literally economics of sports: cost-benefit
      analysis of stadiums, effects of salary caps, long-run competitive balance
      in leagues, effects of free agency, revenue sharing, etc.

      But very little analysis of sports statistics. Most of that sort of stuff
      that I've seen, from academic researchers, comes from operations
      researchers or else mathematicians.

      > into details of the math, but could also be very interesting and
      > educashenal. I've never gone, but will be going this year. Let me
      > know if any of you want to go and want to meet, more importantly, for
      > beer after the sessions...

      Usually it's worse than getting into the details of the math -- they don't
      bother to explain the details of the math, but barge into the middle of it
      anyway. (This is economics presentations that I'm talking about.) The
      audience is left to their own devices to try to follow along.

      Economics of sports does seem to be a very small but reasonably growing
      field in economics, certainly the pace of books getting published is
      increasing. But they all seem to be about economics of sports rather than
      sports statistics.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2 10:15 AM

        > On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:
        >
        > [...]
        >
        > > There really could be a lot of econometrics in evaluating
        > > basketball. For anyone interested, especially those in the
        Seattle
        > > area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
        > > Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple
        sessions
        > > on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get
        >
        > They don't appear to have set the program yet...most economics of
        sports
        > stuff that I've seen is literally economics of sports: cost-benefit
        > analysis of stadiums, effects of salary caps, long-run competitive
        balance
        > in leagues, effects of free agency, revenue sharing, etc.

        I have the program and will try to post it later (when I get home).

        I know Dave Berri has a hand in setting up the sessions and he is
        interested in the statistical analysis. He is applying the type of
        value analysis to economics questions, but obviously is looking at
        the stats.

        > Economics of sports does seem to be a very small but reasonably
        growing
        > field in economics, certainly the pace of books getting published is
        > increasing. But they all seem to be about economics of sports
        rather than
        > sports statistics.

        I can send a couple citations where economics journals have verged
        into the realm of sports statistics analysis.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 3:26 AM
          On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

          [...]

          > > > area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
          > > > Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple
          > sessions
          > > > on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get

          [...]

          > I have the program and will try to post it later (when I get home).

          Okay, the WEA website didn't have any program info, just registration
          info.

          > I can send a couple citations where economics journals have verged
          > into the realm of sports statistics analysis.

          Yes, I'd like to see them -- economists should be capable of doing good
          work in this field, but as I said, most of the stuff, including especially
          the good stuff, that I've seen is by operations researchers.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3 9:20 AM
            What Operations Research things have you seen? I think I saw some
            baseball stuff a few years ago. I haven't seen anything in
            basketball. I haven't looked in a while. I saw something in
            Management Science, too.

            Here is the program for some of the sports econ stuff (apologies for
            all the address info between the actual presentation titles):

            SESSION 1

            Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley

            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: HADLEYLA@...

            Session Title: SPORTS ECONOMICS

            Topic Area Code: L83

            Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
            economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
            30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
            have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
            session break" each day.

            Chair: Lawrence Hadley, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

            Lawrence Hadley
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-Mail: HADLEYLA@...

            Paper 1: Robert Baade and Victor Matheson, Lake Forest College, Lake
            Forest, IL.

            Title: The Quest for the Cup: Assessing the Economic Impact of the
            World Cup.

            Robert Baade
            Lake Forest College
            555 N. Sheridan
            Lake Forest, IL 60640
            847-735-5136 FAX: 847-735-6193
            E-mail: baade@...

            Victor Matheson
            Lake Forest College
            555 N. Sheridan
            Lake Forest, IL 60640
            847-735-5196 FAX: 847-735-6193
            E-mail: matheson@...

            Paper 2: David Berri, California State University-Bakersfield,
            Bakersfield, CA, and Todd Jewell, University of North Texas, Denton,
            TX.

            Title: Can You Buy the Fans' Love? An Inter-Sport Comparison.

            David Berri
            Department of Economics
            California State University—Bakersfield
            9001 Stockdale Highway
            Bakersfield, CA 93311
            661-664-2027 FAX: 661-664-2049
            E-mail: dberri@...

            Todd Jewell
            Department of Economics
            University of North Texas
            PO Box 311457
            Denton, TX 76203-1457
            940-565-3337
            E-mail: tjewell@...

            Paper 3: Donald Coffin, Indiana University Northwest, Gary, IN.

            Title: So That's What It's Worth.

            Donald Coffin
            Division of Business and Economics
            Indiana University Northwest
            3400 Broadway
            Gary, IN 46408-1197
            219-980-6630 FAX: 219-980-6579
            E-mail: don@...

            Paper 4: Stephen Spurr, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI and
            Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.

            Title: Baseball Errors Revisited

            Stephen Spurr
            Department of Economics
            Wayne State University
            Detroit, MI 48202
            313-577-3345 FAX: 313-577-0149
            E-mail: sspurr@...

            Anthony Krautmann
            Economics Department
            DePaul University
            1 East Jackson
            Chicago, IL 60604
            312-362-6176 FAX: 312-362-5452

            Discussant 1: Peter von Allmen, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA.

            Peter von Allmen
            Moravian College
            1200 Main Street
            Bethlehem, PA 18018
            Phone: 610-861-1430 FAX: 610-861-3980
            E-mail: pvonallmen@...

            Discussant 2: John Leadley, Western Oregon University, Monmouth, OR.

            John Leadley
            Division of Business and Economics
            Western Oregon University
            Monmouth, OR 97361
            503-838-8719 FAX: 503-838-8723
            E-mail: leadlej@...

            Discussant 3: Michael Leeds, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA.

            Michael Leeds
            Department of Economics
            Temple University
            Philadelphia, PA 19122
            215-204-8030 FAX: 215-204-6828
            E-mail: mleeds@...

            Discussant 4: Joel Maxcy, SUNY-Courtland, Courtland, NY.

            Joel Maxcy
            Department of Economics
            SUNY-Cortland
            PO Box 2000
            Cortland, NY 13045
            Phone: 607-753-2440 FAX: 607-753-5983
            E-mail: maxcy@...

            SESSION 2

            Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

            Session Title: ATTENDANCE IN THE SPORTS INDUSTRY

            Topic Area Code: L83

            Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
            economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
            30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
            have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
            session break" each day.

            Chair: Elizabeth Gustafson, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

            Elizabeth Gustafson
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

            Paper 1: David K. Forrest and Rob Simmons, University of Salford,
            Salford, UK.

            Title: Spatial Demand Modeling of Demand for Sports

            David K. Forrest
            Centre for the Study of Gambling and Commercial Gaming
            University of Salford
            Salford, M5 4WT, UK
            PHONE: 44 (0)161 295 3674 FAX: 44 (0)161 295 2130
            E-mail: D.K.Forrest@...

            Rob Simmons
            Centre for the Study of Gambling and Commercial Gaming
            University of Salford
            Salford, M5 4WT, UK
            PHONE: 44 (0)161 295 3205 FAX: 44 (0)161 295 2130

            Paper 2: David Berri, California State University—Bakersfield,
            Bakersfield, CA, Martin Schmidt, Portland State University, Portland,
            OR, and Stacy Brook, University of Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls, SD.

            Title: What Attracts the Fan? Team Wins and/or the Star Attraction
            in the NBA

            David Berri
            Department of Economics
            California State University—Bakersfield
            9001 Stockdale Highway
            Bakersfield, CA 93311
            661-664-2028 FAX: 661-664-2049
            E-mail: dberri@...

            Martin Schmidt
            PO Box 751
            Portland State University
            Portland, OR 97207-0751
            503-725-3930 FAX: 503-725-3945
            E-mail: Schmidtm@...

            Stacey Brook
            University of Sioux Falls
            1101 West 22nd St.
            Sioux Falls, SD 57105
            605-331-6706 FAX: 605-331-6615
            E-Mail: Stacey.Brook@...

            Paper 3: John Leadley and Zenon Zygmont, Western Oregon University,
            Monmouth, OR.

            Title: When Is the Honeymoon Over: NBA Attendance 1970-2000

            John Leadley
            Division of Business and Economics
            Western Oregon University
            Monmouth, OR 97361
            503-838-8719 FAX: 503-838-8723
            E-mail: leadlej@...

            Zenon Zygmont
            Division of Business and Economics
            Western Oregon University
            Monmouth, OR 97361
            503-838-8244 FAX: 503-838-8723

            Paper 4: Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.

            Title: Attendance Decline in Korean Professional Baseball League:
            Economic Crisis or Competitive Imbalance?

            Young Hoon Lee
            Department of Economics
            Hansung University
            389, Samsun-dong, Sungbuk-gu
            Seoul 136-792, Korea
            822-760-4066 FAX: 822-760-4217
            E-mail: yhnlee@...

            Discussant 1: Stephen Shmanske, California State University- Hayward,
            Hayward, CA.

            Stephen Shmanske
            Department of Economics
            California State University-Hayward
            Hayward, CA 94542-3068
            Phone: 510-885-3339 FAX: 510-885-4699
            E-mail: sshmansk@...

            Discussant 2: Patrick Rishe, Webster University, St. Louis, MO.

            Patrick Rishe
            Webster University
            470 East Lockwood Av.
            St. Louis, MO 63119
            314-961-2660 x-7553 E-mail: prishe@...

            Discussant 3: Stefan Szymanski, Imperial College, London, UK.

            Stefan Szymanski
            Imperial College Management School
            53 Prince's Gate
            Exhibition Road
            London SW7 2PG, UK
            44-20-7594-9107 FAX: 44-20-7823-7685
            E-mail: szy@...

            Discussant 4: Craig A. Depken, II, University of Texas at Arlington,
            Arlington, TX.

            Craig A. Depken, II
            Department of Economics
            University of Texas at Arlington
            Box 19479
            Arlington, TX 76019

            SESSION 3

            Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley

            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: HADLEYLA@...

            Session Title: COMPETITIVE BALANCE IN SPORTS LEAGUES

            Topic Area Code: L83

            Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
            economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
            30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
            have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
            session break" each day.

            Chair: Lawrence Hadley, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

            Lawrence Hadley
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-Mail: HADLEYLA@...

            Paper 1: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA and
            Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.

            Title: Explaining the Behavior of Competitive Balance Over Time

            Rodney Fort
            Department of Economics
            Washington State University
            Pullman, WA 99164-4741
            509-335-6651 FAX: 509-335-4362
            E-mail: fort@...

            Young Hoon Lee
            Department of Economics
            Hansung University
            389, Samsun-dong, Sungbuk-gu
            Seoul 136-792, Korea
            822-760-4066 FAX: 822-760-4217
            E-mail: yhnlee@...

            Paper 2: Stefan Szymanski, Imperial College, London, UK.

            Title: Competitive Balance and Income Redistribution in Team Sports

            Stefan Szymanski
            Imperial College Management School
            53 Prince's Gate
            Exhibition Road
            London SW7 2PG, UK
            44-20-7594-9108 FAX: 44-20-7823-7685
            E-mail: szy@...

            Paper 3: Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.

            Title: Buying a Pennant in Major League Baseball

            Anthony Krautmann
            Economics Department
            DePaul University
            1 East Jackson
            Chicago, IL 60604
            312-362-6176 FAX: 312-362-5452

            Paper 4: Joel Maxcy, SUNY—Cortland, Cortland, NY.

            Title: Revenue Sharing in MLB: A Paradoxical Reversal of Fortune?

            Joel Maxcy
            Department of Economics
            SUNY-Cortland
            PO Box 2000
            Cortland, NY 13045
            Phone: 607-753-2440 FAX: 607-753-5983
            E-mail: maxcy@...

            Discussant 1: Bernd Frick, University of Witten/Herdecke, Witten,
            Germany.

            Bernd Frick
            University of Witten/Herdecke
            Department of Economics
            Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
            D-58448 Witten, Germany
            49(0) 2302 926-575 FAX: 49(0) 2302 926-587
            E-mail: bfrick@...

            Discussant 2: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.

            Rodney Fort
            Department of Economics
            Washington State University
            Pullman, WA 99164-4741
            509-335-6651 FAX: 509-335-4362
            E-mail: fort@...

            Discussant 3: Lisa O'Keeffe, Daniel Webster College, Nashua, NH and
            Sheffield Hallam University, Yorkshire, England.

            Lisa O'Keeffe
            Archway, 5 Old Welton Rd.
            Welton
            East Riding, Yorkshire
            HU10 7UH, England, UK
            PHONE: 011 44 1482 665115 FAX: 011 44 1482 325587
            E-mail: drokeeffe@...

            Discussant 4: Victor Matheson, Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, IL.

            Victor Matheson
            Lake Forest College
            555 N. Sheridan
            Lake Forest, IL 60640
            847-735-5197 FAX: 847-735-6193
            E-mail: matheson@...

            SESSION 4

            Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

            Session Title: PAY AND PERFORMANCE IN SPORTS I

            Topic Area Code: L83

            Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
            economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
            30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
            have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
            session break" each day.

            Chair: Elizabeth Gustafson, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

            Elizabeth Gustafson
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

            Paper 1: Bernd Frick, Alexander Dilger, and Joachim Prinz,
            University of Witten/Herdecke, Witten, Germany.

            Title: The Performance Effects of Up-Front Payments: Signing
            Bonuses and Player Opportunism in the NFL

            Bernd Frick
            University of Witten/Herdecke
            Department of Economics
            Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
            D-58448 Witten, Germany
            49(0) 2302 926-575 FAX: 49(0) 2302 926-587
            E-mail: bfrick@...

            Alexander Dilger
            University of Witten/Herdecke
            Department of Economics
            Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
            D-58448 Witten, Germany

            Joachim Prinz
            University of Witten/Herdecke
            Department of Economics
            Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
            D-58448 Witten, Germany

            Paper 2: John Fizel and Tim Smaby, Pennsylvania State University,
            Erie, PA.

            Title: Economic Value of Athlete Endorsement Contracts: An Event
            Study

            John Fizel
            Economics Department
            Penn State--Erie
            Station Road
            Erie, PA 16563-1400
            814-898-6323 FAX: 814-898-6223
            E-mail: fzk@...

            Tim Smaby
            Finance Department
            Penn State--Erie
            Station Road
            Erie, PA 16563-1400

            Paper 3: Donn Johnson and Mark Gius, Quinnipiac University, Hamden,
            CT.

            Title: Factors That Affect the Salaries of NFL Players by Position
            Revisited

            Donn Johnson
            Economics Department
            Quinnipiac University
            Hamden, CT 06473
            203-582-8205 FAX: 203-582-8664
            E-mail: donn.johnson@...

            Mark Gius
            Economics Department
            Quinnipiac University
            Hamden, CT 06473

            Paper 4: Patrick Rishe, Webster University, St. Louis, MO.

            Title: The Mythical Correlation between Ticket Prices and Team
            Payroll: Evidence from the `Big Four'

            Patrick Rishe
            Webster University
            470 East Lockwood Av.
            St. Louis, MO 63119
            314-961-2660 x-7553
            E-mail: prishe@...

            Discussant 1: Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.

            Anthony Krautmann
            Economics Department
            DePaul University
            1 East Jackson
            Chicago, IL 60604
            312-362-6176 FAX: 312-362-5452

            Discussant 2: Martin Schmidt, Portland State University, Portland,
            OR.

            Martin Schmidt
            PO Box 751
            Portland State University
            Portland, OR 97207-0751
            503-725-3930 FAX: 503-725-3945
            E-mail: Schmidtm@...

            Discussant 3: David Berri, California State University-Bakersfield,
            Bakersfield, CA.

            David Berri
            Department of Economics
            California State University—Bakersfield
            9001 Stockdale Highway
            Bakersfield, CA 93311
            661-664-2029 FAX: 661-664-2049
            E-mail: dberri@...

            Discussant 4: Stacey Brook, University of Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls,
            SD.

            Stacey Brook
            University of Sioux Falls
            1101 West 22nd St.
            Sioux Falls, SD 57105
            605-331-6707 FAX: 605-331-6615
            E-Mail: Stacey.Brook@...

            SESSION 5

            Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley

            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: HADLEYLA@...

            Session Title: PAY AND PERFORMANCE IN SPORTS II

            Topic Area Code: L83

            Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
            economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
            30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
            have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
            session break" each day.

            Chair: Lawrence Hadley, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

            Lawrence Hadley
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-Mail: HADLEYLA@...

            Paper 1: Martin Schmidt, Portland State University, Portland, OR,
            and David Berri, California State University—Bakersfield,
            Bakersfield, CA.

            Title: On the Evolution of Player Performance in Major League
            Baseball.

            Martin Schmidt
            PO Box 751
            Portland State University
            Portland, OR 97207-0751
            503-725-3930 FAX: 503-725-3945
            E-mail: Schmidtm@...

            David Berri
            Department of Economics
            California State University—Bakersfield
            9001 Stockdale Highway
            Bakersfield, CA 93311
            661-664-2030 FAX: 661-664-2049
            E-mail: dberri@...

            Paper 2: Bernd Frick, Alexander Dilger, and Joachim Prinz,
            University of Witten/Herdecke, Witten, Germany.

            Title: Pay and Performance in Professional Road Running: The Case
            of City Marathons
            Bernd Frick
            University of Witten/Herdecke
            Department of Economics
            Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
            D-58448 Witten, Germany
            49(0) 2302 926-575 FAX: 49(0) 2302 926-587
            E-mail: bfrick@...

            Alexander Dilger
            University of Witten/Herdecke
            Department of Economics
            Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
            D-58448 Witten, Germany

            Joachim Prinz
            University of Witten/Herdecke
            Department of Economics
            Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
            D-58448 Witten, Germany

            Paper 3: Peter von Allmen, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA.

            Title: A Comparison of the Season Championship Rewards and
            Incentives in NASCAR Winston Cup and Championship Auto Racing Teams
            (CART)

            Peter von Allmen
            Moravian College
            1200 Main Street
            Bethlehem, PA 18018
            Phone: 610-861-1430 FAX: 610-861-3980
            E-mail: pvonallmen@...

            Paper 4: Michael Leeds, Irina Pistolet, and Elizabeth Wheaton, Temple
            University, Philadelphia, PA.

            Title: The Impact of Race on Playing Time in the National Basketball
            Association

            Michael Leeds
            Department of Economics
            Temple University
            Philadelphia, PA 19122
            215-204-8030 FAX: 215-204-6828
            E-Mail: mleeds@...

            Irina Pistolet
            Department of Economics
            Temple University
            Philadelphia, PA 19122
            FAX: 215-204-6828 E-mail: ipistole@...

            Elizabeth Wheaton
            Department of Economics
            Temple University
            Philadelphia, PA 19122
            FAX: 215-204-6828 E-mail: ewheaton@...

            Discussant 1: Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.

            Young Hoon Lee
            Department of Economics
            Hansung University
            389, Samsun-dong, Sungbuk-gu
            Seoul 136-792, Korea
            822-760-4066 FAX: 822-760-4217
            E-mail: yhnlee@...

            Discussant 2: Lawrence Hadley, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

            Lawrence Hadley
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-Mail: HADLEYLA@...

            Discussant 3: Donn Johnson, Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT.

            Donn Johnson
            Economics Department
            Quinnipiac University
            Hamden, CT 06473
            203-582-8206 FAX: 203-582-8664
            E-mail: donn.johnson@...

            Discussant 4: Elizabeth Gustafson, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

            Elizabeth Gustafson
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

            SESSION 6

            Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

            Session Title: MARKET STRUCTURE IN SPORTS

            Topic Area Code: L83

            Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
            economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
            30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
            have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
            session break" each day.

            Chair: Elizabeth Gustafson, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

            Elizabeth Gustafson
            Department of Economics
            University of Dayton
            Dayton, OH 45469-2251
            937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
            E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

            Paper 1: Lisa O'Keeffe, Daniel Webster College, Nashua, NH and
            Sheffield Hallam University, Yorkshire, England.

            Title: The Economic and Financal Effects of Applying the American
            Professional Team Sports Model to British Rugby

            Lisa O'Keeffe
            Archway, 5 Old Welton Rd.
            Welton
            East Riding, Yorkshire
            HU10 7UH, England, UK
            PHONE: 011 44 1482 665115 FAX: 011 44 1482 325587
            E-mail: drokeeffe@...

            Paper 2: Rodney Fort, Jason Winfree, Dan Axelson, and Jill
            McCluskey, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.

            Title: Vertical Integration in Professional Baseball

            Rodney Fort
            Department of Economics
            Washington State University
            Pullman, WA 99164-4741
            509-335-6651 FAX: 509-335-4362
            E-mail: fort@...

            Jason Winfree
            Department of Economics
            Washington State University
            Pullman, WA 99164-4741

            Dan Axelson
            Department of Economics
            Washington State University
            Pullman, WA 99164-4741

            Jill McCluskey
            Department of Economics
            Washington State University
            Pullman, WA 99164-4741

            Paper 3: Craig A. Depken, II and Dennis P. Wilson, University of
            Texas, Arlington, TX.

            Title: The Impacts of Cartel Enforcement in NCAA Division IA Football

            Craig A. Depken, II
            Department of Economics
            University of Texas at Arlington
            Box 19479
            Arlington, TX 76019

            Dennis P. Wilson
            Department of Economics
            University of Texas at Arlington
            Box 19479
            Arlington, TX 76019

            Paper 4: Stephen Shmanske, California State University, Hayward, CA.

            Title: Market Preemption and Entry Deterrence: Evidence from the
            Golf Course Industry

            Stephen Shmanske
            Department of Economics
            California State University-Hayward
            Hayward, CA 94542-3068
            Phone: 510-885-3339 FAX: 510-885-4699
            E-mail: sshmansk@...

            Discussant 1: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.

            Rodney Fort
            Department of Economics
            Washington State University
            Pullman, WA 99164-4741
            509-335-6651 FAX: 509-335-4362
            E-mail: fort@...

            Discussant 2: Donald Coffin, Indiana University Northwest, Gary, IN.

            Donald Coffin
            Division of Business and Economics
            Indiana University Northwest
            3400 Broadway
            Gary, IN 46408-1197
            219-980-6631 FAX: 219-980-6579
            E-mail: don@...

            Discussant 3: John Fizel, Pennsylvania State University, Erie, PA.

            John Fizel
            Economics Department
            Penn State--Erie
            Station Road
            Erie, PA 16563
            814-898-6323 FAX: 814-898-6223
            E-mail: fzk@...

            Discussant 4: Stephen Spurr, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI

            Stephen Spurr
            Department of Economics
            Wayne State University
            Detroit, MI 48202
            313-577-3345 FAX: 313-577-0149
            E-mail: sspurr@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4 1:40 AM
              On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

              > What Operations Research things have you seen? I think I saw some
              > baseball stuff a few years ago. I haven't seen anything in
              > basketball. I haven't looked in a while. I saw something in
              > Management Science, too.

              Actually, by far, most of the research is done in baseball, I was
              refering to work on sports statistics in general, not basketball
              statistics.

              [...]

              > Paper 4: Stephen Spurr, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI and
              > Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.
              >
              > Title: Baseball Errors Revisited

              Interesting title, but I'll bet it's about baseball's business errors, not
              on-field errors.

              > Paper 4: Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.
              >
              > Title: Attendance Decline in Korean Professional Baseball League:
              > Economic Crisis or Competitive Imbalance?

              Another intriguing title, I didn't even know there was a Korean
              professional baseball league. Competitive imbalance is a hot topic in
              baseball, much less so in basketball. Despite the recent Bulls dynasty
              and an ongoing potential Laker dynasty.

              > Paper 1: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA and
              > Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.
              >
              > Title: Explaining the Behavior of Competitive Balance Over Time

              Fort's one of the big names in the economics of sports, I forget the name
              of his frequent co-author -- Quirk? -- who I think was at Caltech.

              > Session Title: PAY AND PERFORMANCE IN SPORTS I

              These are the papers which presumably will have to use sports statistics
              to measure players' performances levels and value. Economists should be
              capable of coming up with sophisticated measures, but the stuff I've seen
              usually uses just a simple Tendex-type measure, or batting average plus
              other stats, or etc.

              > Title: Pay and Performance in Professional Road Running: The Case
              > of City Marathons
              > Bernd Frick
              > University of Witten/Herdecke

              Almost certainly a model of a marathon as a tounrnament and an
              investigation into the effects of different compensation schemes (big
              prize to the winner only? Lots of little prizes to lots of top
              finishers?) Economists have been entranced by tournament theory for about
              20 years now.

              > Paper 3: Peter von Allmen, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA.
              >
              > Title: A Comparison of the Season Championship Rewards and
              > Incentives in NASCAR Winston Cup and Championship Auto Racing Teams
              > (CART)

              I'd kind of expect the author to be from Auburn Univ or Florida State or
              something like that. ;) Another investigation into tournament
              incentives I bet.

              > Paper 4: Michael Leeds, Irina Pistolet, and Elizabeth Wheaton, Temple
              > University, Philadelphia, PA.
              >
              > Title: The Impact of Race on Playing Time in the National Basketball
              > Association

              Labor economists have done some studies of race and salary in sports,
              because it's one job category where the employee's performance is
              relatively easy to measure objectively. Again however, they usually focus
              on the economic issues and salary differentials, rather than on creating
              a sophisticated performance measure.

              > Paper 3: Craig A. Depken, II and Dennis P. Wilson, University of
              > Texas, Arlington, TX.
              >
              > Title: The Impacts of Cartel Enforcement in NCAA Division IA Football

              Nothing to do with basketball or sports statistics, just one of my
              favorite examples of one of the most successful cartels in the world: the
              NCAA. Forget OPEC, it faces substantial competition from non-OPEC
              suppliers such as Russia, Norway, Mexico, etc. The NCAA only had to
              compete with the NAIA -- until the hardship draft and increasing flood of
              Darryl Dawkins's, Kobes, Chandlers, etc. created a major competitor for
              the supply of labor, in the form of the NBA.

              > Paper 4: Stephen Shmanske, California State University, Hayward, CA.
              >
              > Title: Market Preemption and Entry Deterrence: Evidence from the
              > Golf Course Industry

              Apropos of nothing: I hate golf. The only good thing is that even golf
              fanatics are unable to bear listening to a golf broadcast, so golf doesn't
              pollute the radio airwaves.