Re: Answering comments on Efficiency vs. Productivity (Western Econ Assoc Mtg)

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2002

      > >MacCulloch's
      > >curve is really good, but it is based on limited data (not many
      games in
      > >the last couple yrs).
      >
      > Better than Kobe's and close to Shaq's if I'm reading it correctly.
      > Astounding both for how far to the right it goes (offensive rating)
      and
      > even more so for how far up it goes (high ratings maintained at high
      > possessions per minute).
      >
      > Given that you're using statistical significance to find the points
      on
      > the curve, I would've expected the limited data on MacCulloch to
      fix this
      > problem automatically: wouldn't his small sample size mean lack of
      > significance at most cutoff points, and thus his graph should "die
      off"
      > pretty quickly?

      Yeah, it should, but the differences are pretty big, more easily
      suggesting differences between low and high possession games. What
      is in MacCulloch's numbers that is weird is that he doesn't play many
      games of a lot of minutes. So he scores a bunch in a few minutes.

      As I say, I dunno. Yet. I'll keep an eye on him.

      > >(I've also
      > >thrown in Kobe Bryant's and Keith Van Horn's with lower statistical
      > >significance, signified by the "4".)
      >
      > The graphs change a fair amount, which makes me leery ... choosing
      a level
      > of significance usually shouldn't change one's results per se, but
      instead
      > one's interpretation of the results.

      Except that I use the level of significance to create the charts. If
      we are actually confident that the curve is changing, I then define a
      cutoff. If we are not confident that the curve is changing, I use
      the lowest previous rating where it was significant. So, because I
      use level of significance a little differently here (to say whether
      the underlying raw curve is changing), it does show some
      sensitivity. It's a weird application of significance testing, I
      admit.

      > Instead of basing the graphs on at what point one finds statistical
      > significance, maybe they should be based on at what point the
      player's
      > performance (either possesions per minute or offensive rating)
      changes by
      > some set amount (which could differ at the different offensive
      rating
      > levels).

      Really gets too noisy. I also wanted to be robust to the different
      number of points over which I was using the moving average (fewer at
      the higher and lower percentiles and for fewer number of games).
      Absolute differences are too sensitive to this.

      There really could be a lot of econometrics in evaluating
      basketball. For anyone interested, especially those in the Seattle
      area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
      Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple sessions
      on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get
      into details of the math, but could also be very interesting and
      educashenal. I've never gone, but will be going this year. Let me
      know if any of you want to go and want to meet, more importantly, for
      beer after the sessions...

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

        [...]

        > There really could be a lot of econometrics in evaluating
        > basketball. For anyone interested, especially those in the Seattle
        > area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
        > Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple sessions
        > on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get

        They don't appear to have set the program yet...most economics of sports
        stuff that I've seen is literally economics of sports: cost-benefit
        analysis of stadiums, effects of salary caps, long-run competitive balance
        in leagues, effects of free agency, revenue sharing, etc.

        But very little analysis of sports statistics. Most of that sort of stuff
        that I've seen, from academic researchers, comes from operations
        researchers or else mathematicians.

        > into details of the math, but could also be very interesting and
        > educashenal. I've never gone, but will be going this year. Let me
        > know if any of you want to go and want to meet, more importantly, for
        > beer after the sessions...

        Usually it's worse than getting into the details of the math -- they don't
        bother to explain the details of the math, but barge into the middle of it
        anyway. (This is economics presentations that I'm talking about.) The
        audience is left to their own devices to try to follow along.

        Economics of sports does seem to be a very small but reasonably growing
        field in economics, certainly the pace of books getting published is
        increasing. But they all seem to be about economics of sports rather than
        sports statistics.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002

          > On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > > There really could be a lot of econometrics in evaluating
          > > basketball. For anyone interested, especially those in the
          Seattle
          > > area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
          > > Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple
          sessions
          > > on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get
          >
          > They don't appear to have set the program yet...most economics of
          sports
          > stuff that I've seen is literally economics of sports: cost-benefit
          > analysis of stadiums, effects of salary caps, long-run competitive
          balance
          > in leagues, effects of free agency, revenue sharing, etc.

          I have the program and will try to post it later (when I get home).

          I know Dave Berri has a hand in setting up the sessions and he is
          interested in the statistical analysis. He is applying the type of
          value analysis to economics questions, but obviously is looking at
          the stats.

          > Economics of sports does seem to be a very small but reasonably
          growing
          > field in economics, certainly the pace of books getting published is
          > increasing. But they all seem to be about economics of sports
          rather than
          > sports statistics.

          I can send a couple citations where economics journals have verged
          into the realm of sports statistics analysis.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
            On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

            [...]

            > > > area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
            > > > Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple
            > sessions
            > > > on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get

            [...]

            > I have the program and will try to post it later (when I get home).

            Okay, the WEA website didn't have any program info, just registration
            info.

            > I can send a couple citations where economics journals have verged
            > into the realm of sports statistics analysis.

            Yes, I'd like to see them -- economists should be capable of doing good
            work in this field, but as I said, most of the stuff, including especially
            the good stuff, that I've seen is by operations researchers.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
              What Operations Research things have you seen? I think I saw some
              baseball stuff a few years ago. I haven't seen anything in
              basketball. I haven't looked in a while. I saw something in
              Management Science, too.

              Here is the program for some of the sports econ stuff (apologies for
              all the address info between the actual presentation titles):

              SESSION 1

              Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley

              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: HADLEYLA@...

              Session Title: SPORTS ECONOMICS

              Topic Area Code: L83

              Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
              economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
              30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
              have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
              session break" each day.

              Chair: Lawrence Hadley, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

              Lawrence Hadley
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-Mail: HADLEYLA@...

              Paper 1: Robert Baade and Victor Matheson, Lake Forest College, Lake
              Forest, IL.

              Title: The Quest for the Cup: Assessing the Economic Impact of the
              World Cup.

              Robert Baade
              Lake Forest College
              555 N. Sheridan
              Lake Forest, IL 60640
              847-735-5136 FAX: 847-735-6193
              E-mail: baade@...

              Victor Matheson
              Lake Forest College
              555 N. Sheridan
              Lake Forest, IL 60640
              847-735-5196 FAX: 847-735-6193
              E-mail: matheson@...

              Paper 2: David Berri, California State University-Bakersfield,
              Bakersfield, CA, and Todd Jewell, University of North Texas, Denton,
              TX.

              Title: Can You Buy the Fans' Love? An Inter-Sport Comparison.

              David Berri
              Department of Economics
              California State University—Bakersfield
              9001 Stockdale Highway
              Bakersfield, CA 93311
              661-664-2027 FAX: 661-664-2049
              E-mail: dberri@...

              Todd Jewell
              Department of Economics
              University of North Texas
              PO Box 311457
              Denton, TX 76203-1457
              940-565-3337
              E-mail: tjewell@...

              Paper 3: Donald Coffin, Indiana University Northwest, Gary, IN.

              Title: So That's What It's Worth.

              Donald Coffin
              Division of Business and Economics
              Indiana University Northwest
              3400 Broadway
              Gary, IN 46408-1197
              219-980-6630 FAX: 219-980-6579
              E-mail: don@...

              Paper 4: Stephen Spurr, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI and
              Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.

              Title: Baseball Errors Revisited

              Stephen Spurr
              Department of Economics
              Wayne State University
              Detroit, MI 48202
              313-577-3345 FAX: 313-577-0149
              E-mail: sspurr@...

              Anthony Krautmann
              Economics Department
              DePaul University
              1 East Jackson
              Chicago, IL 60604
              312-362-6176 FAX: 312-362-5452

              Discussant 1: Peter von Allmen, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA.

              Peter von Allmen
              Moravian College
              1200 Main Street
              Bethlehem, PA 18018
              Phone: 610-861-1430 FAX: 610-861-3980
              E-mail: pvonallmen@...

              Discussant 2: John Leadley, Western Oregon University, Monmouth, OR.

              John Leadley
              Division of Business and Economics
              Western Oregon University
              Monmouth, OR 97361
              503-838-8719 FAX: 503-838-8723
              E-mail: leadlej@...

              Discussant 3: Michael Leeds, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA.

              Michael Leeds
              Department of Economics
              Temple University
              Philadelphia, PA 19122
              215-204-8030 FAX: 215-204-6828
              E-mail: mleeds@...

              Discussant 4: Joel Maxcy, SUNY-Courtland, Courtland, NY.

              Joel Maxcy
              Department of Economics
              SUNY-Cortland
              PO Box 2000
              Cortland, NY 13045
              Phone: 607-753-2440 FAX: 607-753-5983
              E-mail: maxcy@...

              SESSION 2

              Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

              Session Title: ATTENDANCE IN THE SPORTS INDUSTRY

              Topic Area Code: L83

              Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
              economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
              30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
              have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
              session break" each day.

              Chair: Elizabeth Gustafson, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

              Elizabeth Gustafson
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

              Paper 1: David K. Forrest and Rob Simmons, University of Salford,
              Salford, UK.

              Title: Spatial Demand Modeling of Demand for Sports

              David K. Forrest
              Centre for the Study of Gambling and Commercial Gaming
              University of Salford
              Salford, M5 4WT, UK
              PHONE: 44 (0)161 295 3674 FAX: 44 (0)161 295 2130
              E-mail: D.K.Forrest@...

              Rob Simmons
              Centre for the Study of Gambling and Commercial Gaming
              University of Salford
              Salford, M5 4WT, UK
              PHONE: 44 (0)161 295 3205 FAX: 44 (0)161 295 2130

              Paper 2: David Berri, California State University—Bakersfield,
              Bakersfield, CA, Martin Schmidt, Portland State University, Portland,
              OR, and Stacy Brook, University of Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls, SD.

              Title: What Attracts the Fan? Team Wins and/or the Star Attraction
              in the NBA

              David Berri
              Department of Economics
              California State University—Bakersfield
              9001 Stockdale Highway
              Bakersfield, CA 93311
              661-664-2028 FAX: 661-664-2049
              E-mail: dberri@...

              Martin Schmidt
              PO Box 751
              Portland State University
              Portland, OR 97207-0751
              503-725-3930 FAX: 503-725-3945
              E-mail: Schmidtm@...

              Stacey Brook
              University of Sioux Falls
              1101 West 22nd St.
              Sioux Falls, SD 57105
              605-331-6706 FAX: 605-331-6615
              E-Mail: Stacey.Brook@...

              Paper 3: John Leadley and Zenon Zygmont, Western Oregon University,
              Monmouth, OR.

              Title: When Is the Honeymoon Over: NBA Attendance 1970-2000

              John Leadley
              Division of Business and Economics
              Western Oregon University
              Monmouth, OR 97361
              503-838-8719 FAX: 503-838-8723
              E-mail: leadlej@...

              Zenon Zygmont
              Division of Business and Economics
              Western Oregon University
              Monmouth, OR 97361
              503-838-8244 FAX: 503-838-8723

              Paper 4: Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.

              Title: Attendance Decline in Korean Professional Baseball League:
              Economic Crisis or Competitive Imbalance?

              Young Hoon Lee
              Department of Economics
              Hansung University
              389, Samsun-dong, Sungbuk-gu
              Seoul 136-792, Korea
              822-760-4066 FAX: 822-760-4217
              E-mail: yhnlee@...

              Discussant 1: Stephen Shmanske, California State University- Hayward,
              Hayward, CA.

              Stephen Shmanske
              Department of Economics
              California State University-Hayward
              Hayward, CA 94542-3068
              Phone: 510-885-3339 FAX: 510-885-4699
              E-mail: sshmansk@...

              Discussant 2: Patrick Rishe, Webster University, St. Louis, MO.

              Patrick Rishe
              Webster University
              470 East Lockwood Av.
              St. Louis, MO 63119
              314-961-2660 x-7553 E-mail: prishe@...

              Discussant 3: Stefan Szymanski, Imperial College, London, UK.

              Stefan Szymanski
              Imperial College Management School
              53 Prince's Gate
              Exhibition Road
              London SW7 2PG, UK
              44-20-7594-9107 FAX: 44-20-7823-7685
              E-mail: szy@...

              Discussant 4: Craig A. Depken, II, University of Texas at Arlington,
              Arlington, TX.

              Craig A. Depken, II
              Department of Economics
              University of Texas at Arlington
              Box 19479
              Arlington, TX 76019

              SESSION 3

              Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley

              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: HADLEYLA@...

              Session Title: COMPETITIVE BALANCE IN SPORTS LEAGUES

              Topic Area Code: L83

              Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
              economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
              30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
              have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
              session break" each day.

              Chair: Lawrence Hadley, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

              Lawrence Hadley
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-Mail: HADLEYLA@...

              Paper 1: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA and
              Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.

              Title: Explaining the Behavior of Competitive Balance Over Time

              Rodney Fort
              Department of Economics
              Washington State University
              Pullman, WA 99164-4741
              509-335-6651 FAX: 509-335-4362
              E-mail: fort@...

              Young Hoon Lee
              Department of Economics
              Hansung University
              389, Samsun-dong, Sungbuk-gu
              Seoul 136-792, Korea
              822-760-4066 FAX: 822-760-4217
              E-mail: yhnlee@...

              Paper 2: Stefan Szymanski, Imperial College, London, UK.

              Title: Competitive Balance and Income Redistribution in Team Sports

              Stefan Szymanski
              Imperial College Management School
              53 Prince's Gate
              Exhibition Road
              London SW7 2PG, UK
              44-20-7594-9108 FAX: 44-20-7823-7685
              E-mail: szy@...

              Paper 3: Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.

              Title: Buying a Pennant in Major League Baseball

              Anthony Krautmann
              Economics Department
              DePaul University
              1 East Jackson
              Chicago, IL 60604
              312-362-6176 FAX: 312-362-5452

              Paper 4: Joel Maxcy, SUNY—Cortland, Cortland, NY.

              Title: Revenue Sharing in MLB: A Paradoxical Reversal of Fortune?

              Joel Maxcy
              Department of Economics
              SUNY-Cortland
              PO Box 2000
              Cortland, NY 13045
              Phone: 607-753-2440 FAX: 607-753-5983
              E-mail: maxcy@...

              Discussant 1: Bernd Frick, University of Witten/Herdecke, Witten,
              Germany.

              Bernd Frick
              University of Witten/Herdecke
              Department of Economics
              Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
              D-58448 Witten, Germany
              49(0) 2302 926-575 FAX: 49(0) 2302 926-587
              E-mail: bfrick@...

              Discussant 2: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.

              Rodney Fort
              Department of Economics
              Washington State University
              Pullman, WA 99164-4741
              509-335-6651 FAX: 509-335-4362
              E-mail: fort@...

              Discussant 3: Lisa O'Keeffe, Daniel Webster College, Nashua, NH and
              Sheffield Hallam University, Yorkshire, England.

              Lisa O'Keeffe
              Archway, 5 Old Welton Rd.
              Welton
              East Riding, Yorkshire
              HU10 7UH, England, UK
              PHONE: 011 44 1482 665115 FAX: 011 44 1482 325587
              E-mail: drokeeffe@...

              Discussant 4: Victor Matheson, Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, IL.

              Victor Matheson
              Lake Forest College
              555 N. Sheridan
              Lake Forest, IL 60640
              847-735-5197 FAX: 847-735-6193
              E-mail: matheson@...

              SESSION 4

              Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

              Session Title: PAY AND PERFORMANCE IN SPORTS I

              Topic Area Code: L83

              Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
              economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
              30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
              have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
              session break" each day.

              Chair: Elizabeth Gustafson, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

              Elizabeth Gustafson
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

              Paper 1: Bernd Frick, Alexander Dilger, and Joachim Prinz,
              University of Witten/Herdecke, Witten, Germany.

              Title: The Performance Effects of Up-Front Payments: Signing
              Bonuses and Player Opportunism in the NFL

              Bernd Frick
              University of Witten/Herdecke
              Department of Economics
              Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
              D-58448 Witten, Germany
              49(0) 2302 926-575 FAX: 49(0) 2302 926-587
              E-mail: bfrick@...

              Alexander Dilger
              University of Witten/Herdecke
              Department of Economics
              Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
              D-58448 Witten, Germany

              Joachim Prinz
              University of Witten/Herdecke
              Department of Economics
              Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
              D-58448 Witten, Germany

              Paper 2: John Fizel and Tim Smaby, Pennsylvania State University,
              Erie, PA.

              Title: Economic Value of Athlete Endorsement Contracts: An Event
              Study

              John Fizel
              Economics Department
              Penn State--Erie
              Station Road
              Erie, PA 16563-1400
              814-898-6323 FAX: 814-898-6223
              E-mail: fzk@...

              Tim Smaby
              Finance Department
              Penn State--Erie
              Station Road
              Erie, PA 16563-1400

              Paper 3: Donn Johnson and Mark Gius, Quinnipiac University, Hamden,
              CT.

              Title: Factors That Affect the Salaries of NFL Players by Position
              Revisited

              Donn Johnson
              Economics Department
              Quinnipiac University
              Hamden, CT 06473
              203-582-8205 FAX: 203-582-8664
              E-mail: donn.johnson@...

              Mark Gius
              Economics Department
              Quinnipiac University
              Hamden, CT 06473

              Paper 4: Patrick Rishe, Webster University, St. Louis, MO.

              Title: The Mythical Correlation between Ticket Prices and Team
              Payroll: Evidence from the `Big Four'

              Patrick Rishe
              Webster University
              470 East Lockwood Av.
              St. Louis, MO 63119
              314-961-2660 x-7553
              E-mail: prishe@...

              Discussant 1: Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.

              Anthony Krautmann
              Economics Department
              DePaul University
              1 East Jackson
              Chicago, IL 60604
              312-362-6176 FAX: 312-362-5452

              Discussant 2: Martin Schmidt, Portland State University, Portland,
              OR.

              Martin Schmidt
              PO Box 751
              Portland State University
              Portland, OR 97207-0751
              503-725-3930 FAX: 503-725-3945
              E-mail: Schmidtm@...

              Discussant 3: David Berri, California State University-Bakersfield,
              Bakersfield, CA.

              David Berri
              Department of Economics
              California State University—Bakersfield
              9001 Stockdale Highway
              Bakersfield, CA 93311
              661-664-2029 FAX: 661-664-2049
              E-mail: dberri@...

              Discussant 4: Stacey Brook, University of Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls,
              SD.

              Stacey Brook
              University of Sioux Falls
              1101 West 22nd St.
              Sioux Falls, SD 57105
              605-331-6707 FAX: 605-331-6615
              E-Mail: Stacey.Brook@...

              SESSION 5

              Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley

              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: HADLEYLA@...

              Session Title: PAY AND PERFORMANCE IN SPORTS II

              Topic Area Code: L83

              Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
              economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
              30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
              have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
              session break" each day.

              Chair: Lawrence Hadley, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

              Lawrence Hadley
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-Mail: HADLEYLA@...

              Paper 1: Martin Schmidt, Portland State University, Portland, OR,
              and David Berri, California State University—Bakersfield,
              Bakersfield, CA.

              Title: On the Evolution of Player Performance in Major League
              Baseball.

              Martin Schmidt
              PO Box 751
              Portland State University
              Portland, OR 97207-0751
              503-725-3930 FAX: 503-725-3945
              E-mail: Schmidtm@...

              David Berri
              Department of Economics
              California State University—Bakersfield
              9001 Stockdale Highway
              Bakersfield, CA 93311
              661-664-2030 FAX: 661-664-2049
              E-mail: dberri@...

              Paper 2: Bernd Frick, Alexander Dilger, and Joachim Prinz,
              University of Witten/Herdecke, Witten, Germany.

              Title: Pay and Performance in Professional Road Running: The Case
              of City Marathons
              Bernd Frick
              University of Witten/Herdecke
              Department of Economics
              Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
              D-58448 Witten, Germany
              49(0) 2302 926-575 FAX: 49(0) 2302 926-587
              E-mail: bfrick@...

              Alexander Dilger
              University of Witten/Herdecke
              Department of Economics
              Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
              D-58448 Witten, Germany

              Joachim Prinz
              University of Witten/Herdecke
              Department of Economics
              Alfred-Herrhausen-Strasse 50
              D-58448 Witten, Germany

              Paper 3: Peter von Allmen, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA.

              Title: A Comparison of the Season Championship Rewards and
              Incentives in NASCAR Winston Cup and Championship Auto Racing Teams
              (CART)

              Peter von Allmen
              Moravian College
              1200 Main Street
              Bethlehem, PA 18018
              Phone: 610-861-1430 FAX: 610-861-3980
              E-mail: pvonallmen@...

              Paper 4: Michael Leeds, Irina Pistolet, and Elizabeth Wheaton, Temple
              University, Philadelphia, PA.

              Title: The Impact of Race on Playing Time in the National Basketball
              Association

              Michael Leeds
              Department of Economics
              Temple University
              Philadelphia, PA 19122
              215-204-8030 FAX: 215-204-6828
              E-Mail: mleeds@...

              Irina Pistolet
              Department of Economics
              Temple University
              Philadelphia, PA 19122
              FAX: 215-204-6828 E-mail: ipistole@...

              Elizabeth Wheaton
              Department of Economics
              Temple University
              Philadelphia, PA 19122
              FAX: 215-204-6828 E-mail: ewheaton@...

              Discussant 1: Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.

              Young Hoon Lee
              Department of Economics
              Hansung University
              389, Samsun-dong, Sungbuk-gu
              Seoul 136-792, Korea
              822-760-4066 FAX: 822-760-4217
              E-mail: yhnlee@...

              Discussant 2: Lawrence Hadley, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

              Lawrence Hadley
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2403 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-Mail: HADLEYLA@...

              Discussant 3: Donn Johnson, Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT.

              Donn Johnson
              Economics Department
              Quinnipiac University
              Hamden, CT 06473
              203-582-8206 FAX: 203-582-8664
              E-mail: donn.johnson@...

              Discussant 4: Elizabeth Gustafson, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

              Elizabeth Gustafson
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

              SESSION 6

              Session Organizers: Elizabeth Gustafson and Lawrence Hadley
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              PHONE: 937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

              Session Title: MARKET STRUCTURE IN SPORTS

              Topic Area Code: L83

              Scheduling Requests: If possible, please schedule the six sports
              economics sessions organized by Gustafson and Hadley on Sunday, June
              30 and Monday, July 1 so that they do not conflict. We prefer to
              have three sessions on each day. We would also prefer to have a "one
              session break" each day.

              Chair: Elizabeth Gustafson, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH.

              Elizabeth Gustafson
              Department of Economics
              University of Dayton
              Dayton, OH 45469-2251
              937-229-2406 FAX: 937-229-2477
              E-mail: GUSTAFSO@...

              Paper 1: Lisa O'Keeffe, Daniel Webster College, Nashua, NH and
              Sheffield Hallam University, Yorkshire, England.

              Title: The Economic and Financal Effects of Applying the American
              Professional Team Sports Model to British Rugby

              Lisa O'Keeffe
              Archway, 5 Old Welton Rd.
              Welton
              East Riding, Yorkshire
              HU10 7UH, England, UK
              PHONE: 011 44 1482 665115 FAX: 011 44 1482 325587
              E-mail: drokeeffe@...

              Paper 2: Rodney Fort, Jason Winfree, Dan Axelson, and Jill
              McCluskey, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.

              Title: Vertical Integration in Professional Baseball

              Rodney Fort
              Department of Economics
              Washington State University
              Pullman, WA 99164-4741
              509-335-6651 FAX: 509-335-4362
              E-mail: fort@...

              Jason Winfree
              Department of Economics
              Washington State University
              Pullman, WA 99164-4741

              Dan Axelson
              Department of Economics
              Washington State University
              Pullman, WA 99164-4741

              Jill McCluskey
              Department of Economics
              Washington State University
              Pullman, WA 99164-4741

              Paper 3: Craig A. Depken, II and Dennis P. Wilson, University of
              Texas, Arlington, TX.

              Title: The Impacts of Cartel Enforcement in NCAA Division IA Football

              Craig A. Depken, II
              Department of Economics
              University of Texas at Arlington
              Box 19479
              Arlington, TX 76019

              Dennis P. Wilson
              Department of Economics
              University of Texas at Arlington
              Box 19479
              Arlington, TX 76019

              Paper 4: Stephen Shmanske, California State University, Hayward, CA.

              Title: Market Preemption and Entry Deterrence: Evidence from the
              Golf Course Industry

              Stephen Shmanske
              Department of Economics
              California State University-Hayward
              Hayward, CA 94542-3068
              Phone: 510-885-3339 FAX: 510-885-4699
              E-mail: sshmansk@...

              Discussant 1: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.

              Rodney Fort
              Department of Economics
              Washington State University
              Pullman, WA 99164-4741
              509-335-6651 FAX: 509-335-4362
              E-mail: fort@...

              Discussant 2: Donald Coffin, Indiana University Northwest, Gary, IN.

              Donald Coffin
              Division of Business and Economics
              Indiana University Northwest
              3400 Broadway
              Gary, IN 46408-1197
              219-980-6631 FAX: 219-980-6579
              E-mail: don@...

              Discussant 3: John Fizel, Pennsylvania State University, Erie, PA.

              John Fizel
              Economics Department
              Penn State--Erie
              Station Road
              Erie, PA 16563
              814-898-6323 FAX: 814-898-6223
              E-mail: fzk@...

              Discussant 4: Stephen Spurr, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI

              Stephen Spurr
              Department of Economics
              Wayne State University
              Detroit, MI 48202
              313-577-3345 FAX: 313-577-0149
              E-mail: sspurr@...

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2002
                On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

                > What Operations Research things have you seen? I think I saw some
                > baseball stuff a few years ago. I haven't seen anything in
                > basketball. I haven't looked in a while. I saw something in
                > Management Science, too.

                Actually, by far, most of the research is done in baseball, I was
                refering to work on sports statistics in general, not basketball
                statistics.

                [...]

                > Paper 4: Stephen Spurr, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI and
                > Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.
                >
                > Title: Baseball Errors Revisited

                Interesting title, but I'll bet it's about baseball's business errors, not
                on-field errors.

                > Paper 4: Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.
                >
                > Title: Attendance Decline in Korean Professional Baseball League:
                > Economic Crisis or Competitive Imbalance?

                Another intriguing title, I didn't even know there was a Korean
                professional baseball league. Competitive imbalance is a hot topic in
                baseball, much less so in basketball. Despite the recent Bulls dynasty
                and an ongoing potential Laker dynasty.

                > Paper 1: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA and
                > Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.
                >
                > Title: Explaining the Behavior of Competitive Balance Over Time

                Fort's one of the big names in the economics of sports, I forget the name
                of his frequent co-author -- Quirk? -- who I think was at Caltech.

                > Session Title: PAY AND PERFORMANCE IN SPORTS I

                These are the papers which presumably will have to use sports statistics
                to measure players' performances levels and value. Economists should be
                capable of coming up with sophisticated measures, but the stuff I've seen
                usually uses just a simple Tendex-type measure, or batting average plus
                other stats, or etc.

                > Title: Pay and Performance in Professional Road Running: The Case
                > of City Marathons
                > Bernd Frick
                > University of Witten/Herdecke

                Almost certainly a model of a marathon as a tounrnament and an
                investigation into the effects of different compensation schemes (big
                prize to the winner only? Lots of little prizes to lots of top
                finishers?) Economists have been entranced by tournament theory for about
                20 years now.

                > Paper 3: Peter von Allmen, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA.
                >
                > Title: A Comparison of the Season Championship Rewards and
                > Incentives in NASCAR Winston Cup and Championship Auto Racing Teams
                > (CART)

                I'd kind of expect the author to be from Auburn Univ or Florida State or
                something like that. ;) Another investigation into tournament
                incentives I bet.

                > Paper 4: Michael Leeds, Irina Pistolet, and Elizabeth Wheaton, Temple
                > University, Philadelphia, PA.
                >
                > Title: The Impact of Race on Playing Time in the National Basketball
                > Association

                Labor economists have done some studies of race and salary in sports,
                because it's one job category where the employee's performance is
                relatively easy to measure objectively. Again however, they usually focus
                on the economic issues and salary differentials, rather than on creating
                a sophisticated performance measure.

                > Paper 3: Craig A. Depken, II and Dennis P. Wilson, University of
                > Texas, Arlington, TX.
                >
                > Title: The Impacts of Cartel Enforcement in NCAA Division IA Football

                Nothing to do with basketball or sports statistics, just one of my
                favorite examples of one of the most successful cartels in the world: the
                NCAA. Forget OPEC, it faces substantial competition from non-OPEC
                suppliers such as Russia, Norway, Mexico, etc. The NCAA only had to
                compete with the NAIA -- until the hardship draft and increasing flood of
                Darryl Dawkins's, Kobes, Chandlers, etc. created a major competitor for
                the supply of labor, in the form of the NBA.

                > Paper 4: Stephen Shmanske, California State University, Hayward, CA.
                >
                > Title: Market Preemption and Entry Deterrence: Evidence from the
                > Golf Course Industry

                Apropos of nothing: I hate golf. The only good thing is that even golf
                fanatics are unable to bear listening to a golf broadcast, so golf doesn't
                pollute the radio airwaves.