Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: excessive fouling

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 28, 2002
      On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

      [...]

      > Returning to basketball, it sounds like we agree on 1 FT + possession
      > as a good deterrent to excessive fouling. To clarify, when would we
      > employ it? Just on obviously intentional fouls, even those in the
      > backcourt or not in the last two minutes? 2FT + possessions for
      > flagrant.

      My vote, but I imagine I'm an extremist, is as often as possible. Doesn't
      even have to be a penalty situation. Defenders will eventually realize
      that if they can't handle the offensive player, it does them no good to do
      what they currently do (foul) because the guy will get the ball back
      anyway. Eventually they will have to simply play the best non-foulling
      defense they can and hope the shooter misses. Or get defensive help,
      aided by the legalized zone rules the NBA now has.

      Purists will protest that this takes weapons away from the defenders and
      makes the game a wimpy non-contact sport. Well it's supposed to be a
      non-contact sport. The game would become less physical, but that's not a
      bad thing. Our notion of what constitutes wimpy basketball can and does
      change -- dunks used to be rare because they were viewed as inflammatory
      dissing of the opponents, which would lead to the dunker getting whacked
      but good on a subsequent play. Nowadays players dunk with abandon. We
      still have the "don't give away an uncontested layin" mentality, but that
      can and should go the way of the "no dunks" mentality.

      Given a choice between 1980s Phoenix Suns-style Walter Davis/Larry Nance
      high-flying greyhound basketball, vs 1990s Miami/New York slowdown grunt
      it out basketball, I'll take the Suns. Obviously this can be taken too
      far, the 144-142 NBA All-star game scores are a perfect example, but the
      pendulum's been too far in the anti-scoring direction for a decade or so.