Re: Effect of Jordan's absence

  • alleyoop2
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2002
      I have to wonder how much of that is "absence of Jordan" and how much
      is "presence of Courtney Alexander". CA can't guard anybody from what
      I've seen, and the other guys soaking up Jordan's minutes (Davis,
      Hamilton) are sieves as well. Regardless, it is certainly surprising
      to see that their offense played just as well.

      > With Jordan coming back, it reminded me to look at the effect of
      him
      > being gone. With the Bullets going 4-10 without him (including
      games
      > before this stretch) and 27-26 with him, there appears to be some
      > effect. What we see is that the Bullets offensive and defensive
      > ratings were 102.4 and 103.3, resp, with him and 103.8 and 107.8
      > without him. The offense got slightly better and the defense got
      > worse. Both the defensive difference and the net point difference
      > are statistically significant.
      >
      > So Jordan's shooting problems (including 2 for 9 last night) don't
      > have a big negative effect on the offense, but his presence
      > definitely seems to help the defense. I think another indicator of
      > how much the defense struggled with Jordan out was that they had
      only
      > 2 games where they held the opponent to a rating below 103.3 (their
      > DRtg with Jordan) -- and both of those games were against the
      Bulls,