Re: excessive fouling

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2002
      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., bchaikin@a... wrote:
      > <.... i would love to see
      > > a flagrant called anytime a foul is committed where it was
      > >obvious ... the defender made no attempt to go
      > > for the ball, or fouled harder than necessary ...> two shots
      > >awarded and then the ball out of bounds to the offensive team, and
      > > the defender ejected immediately from the game.
      >
      > I agree completely with 2 FT and the ball out, and I pretty much
      > disagree with ejection. The game is not made better by ejecting
      > players, and it places an enormous burden on the officials -- much
      > more than the 2-FT-and-possession. The practical (easy) solution
      > would be to not make the call.

      Flagrants are being called more this season than in the past, so
      maybe the league is cracking down. I got 126 flagrants from Doug
      Steele's site in 459350 minutes this year. Last year had 138 in
      575760 minutes. About a 10% rate increase. It seems like I've seen
      a lot more than that this year, but maybe I've been paying attention.

      The benefit to the current system of flagrants is that it does take
      the burden off of any single ref for throwing a guy out. It is the
      cumulative effect of multiple fouls. If they do call flagrants
      enough, we might actually see the return of layups. Offense is
      generally up this year, for whatever reason.