hot handed van exel

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2002
      Back to the hot hand/Nick Van Exel discussions we were having a couple of
      weeks ago:

      The Sonics played the Mavericks, now featuring Van Exel, this Monday. Can
      hot streaks be predicted? Most Sonics fans were probably predicting a hot
      game for Van Exel, and so it was:

      17 points, 6-12 shooting -- that doesn't sound hot.

      BUT:

      Van Exel played only 25 minutes, and was 3-4 on 3-pters and 2-2 on FTs.
      So his scoring efficiency was over 65%, and he was scoring at a 33 points
      per 48 minutes clip. That's better than he usually does -- he's around
      50% scoring efficiency this season and over his career, and even in this
      hot season of his is scoring less than 26 points per 48 mins.

      --MKT
    • mikel_ind
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2002
        Van Exel's offense has declined all year, after a fast start.

        Since going to Dallas, the dropoff has been more dramatic:

        team min. .FG% .FT% 3pt%
        Denv 38.6 .408 .782 .337
        Dall 28.4 .355 .704 .217

        In 3 of the 5 previous games, he was 0-7 or 1-7.

        His previous best game was 20 pts in 43 minutes, against his former
        team.

        I think Nick has your number.