Assigning Credit to Players

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 13, 2002
      I posed the following to a bunch of coaches. This group is a bit
      tainted by my opinion, but I'll ask anyway...

      I am interested in obtaining some opinions on distributing
      credit to players for different situations in basketball.

      For example

      1. The point guard passes through the defense to a big man
      underneath the basket for a dunk. What percentage of the credit for
      the TEAM score should go to the passer vs. the scorer? Obviously,
      one player gets an assist and one gets the field goal, but,
      subjectively, should they split credit 50-50?

      2. A point guard passes to an unguarded mediocre shooter at the
      perimeter who makes a jump shot. How should credit be split here?

      3. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
      roll-guy near the basket for an open 5 ft shot.

      4. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
      roll-guy popping out for a 15 ft jump shot.

      5. On a pick and roll, the guard's man is picked off with no switch,
      freeing him for an open 18 ft jump shot.

      6. In situation 3, how do you split the credit/blame to the two
      defenders who didn't shut down the pick and roll? Should the rest of
      the team also receive blame? How much?

      7. Same question for splitting defensive credit for #4.

      8. Same question for splitting defensive credit for #5.

      9. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded and stuck back in
      by a teammate. How much credit goes to the two players?

      10. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded by a teammate.
      He passes back to the guard to restart the offense, which, after
      several passes, scores. How much credit should go to the offensive
      rebounder?

      I'm not looking for formal studies, but rather gut feel from people
      on these, maybe with some explanation for the answers, maybe
      without. I recognize that coaches often don't think about
      distributing credit this way and that it, in some ways, goes against
      the spirit of the roles players should have. This is an attempt to
      identify whether people have thought about decisions about credit and
      to collect results into a report for coaches to view.

      www.rawbw.com/~deano/index.html
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 14, 2002
        Here are my gut feel answers:

        On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

        > I posed the following to a bunch of coaches. This group is a bit
        > tainted by my opinion, but I'll ask anyway...
        >
        > I am interested in obtaining some opinions on distributing
        > credit to players for different situations in basketball.
        >
        > For example
        >
        > 1. The point guard passes through the defense to a big man
        > underneath the basket for a dunk. What percentage of the credit for
        > the TEAM score should go to the passer vs. the scorer? Obviously,
        > one player gets an assist and one gets the field goal, but,
        > subjectively, should they split credit 50-50?

        Passer 2/3, dunker 1/3.

        > 2. A point guard passes to an unguarded mediocre shooter at the
        > perimeter who makes a jump shot. How should credit be split here?

        A not so gut feel answer: The identity of the shooter is what has me
        thinking; ideally we'd want the point guard to pass to unguarded good
        shooters rather than unguarded mediocre shooters. It's a clearly superior
        situation, and is likely to be harder for the passer to achieve. (If it's
        Shawn Bradley 30 feet from the basket, getting the ball to him is no great
        achievement).

        All that suggests that the passer should get more credit when passing to
        the good shooter than the mediocre shooter.

        BUT this has a potentially nasty implication: given that the basket is
        worth only 2 points (gross; net value is even less than that because the
        team loses possession), if the passer gets more credit, then the shooter
        is getting LESS credit. So if Reggie Miller and Jeff Foster both hit open
        20 footers, should Reggie get less credit than Foster?

        Miller WILL make more of those baskets, so maybe it's okay to give him
        less credit -- but it better not be TOO much less. Otherwise, he might go
        5-10 one night on open 20 footers, and Foster would go 4-10 ... and Foster
        might be rated as having a better performance!

        So although taking the identity of the shooter into account seems like an
        attractive idea, it has some pitfalls.

        Back to the original question: ignoring the identity of the shooter, in
        such situations give 1/3 credit to the passer, 2/3 to the shooter.

        > 3. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
        > roll-guy near the basket for an open 5 ft shot.

        Guard gets 2/3 credit.

        > 4. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
        > roll-guy popping out for a 15 ft jump shot.

        Guard gets half credit.

        > 5. On a pick and roll, the guard's man is picked off with no switch,
        > freeing him for an open 18 ft jump shot.

        Guard gets 3/4 credit, pick-setter gets 1/4. Hmm, but how much of this
        was not due to EITHER of them, but instead should be counted as a negative
        against the defenders who failed to do their job? Should a made basket
        always represent only positive things, to be apportioned among the
        offensive players, or should we instead deduct some credits from the
        defenders?

        In accounting terms, do we do double-entry bookkeeping, where a 2 point
        basket give 2 points (or so) of credit to be apportioned amongst the
        offensive players, and 2 points of blame to be apportioned amongst the
        defenders? Or would a more complex single-entry system be better, where
        maybe the offense was responsible for +1.2, and the defense was
        responsible for -.8.

        > 6. In situation 3, how do you split the credit/blame to the two
        > defenders who didn't shut down the pick and roll? Should the rest of
        > the team also receive blame? How much?

        See above, but in a double-entry system (or equivalenty, just focusing on
        the defenders) 2/3 blame to the double-teamer. Depends of course on how
        the play unfolded -- maybe the defensive guard needed help and
        should've switched, maybe the defensive double-teamer should not have
        gone to the double team -- and also on what the defense's tactics were
        supposed to be in such situations... who's responsibility was it?

        > 7. Same question for splitting defensive credit for #4.

        50-50 defensive blame.

        > 8. Same question for splitting defensive credit for #5.

        3/4 blame on the defender who failed to switch. Or maybe less, maybe the
        defensive guard should've fought through the pick, depends on the
        situation.

        > 9. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded and stuck back in
        > by a teammate. How much credit goes to the two players?

        Negative credits for the misser, he hurt the team (not by a lot, it's not
        nearly as bad as a turnover, but still, a negative event). The rebounder
        did two positive things: unassisted basket (2 points gross), plus an
        offensive rebound (worth maybe 2/3 of a point).

        > 10. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded by a teammate.
        > He passes back to the guard to restart the offense, which, after
        > several passes, scores. How much credit should go to the offensive
        > rebounder?

        About 2/3 of a point, but again in this example although the offense
        scored two points, some players should be charged with negative
        contribution (the shot misser) while the scorer and offensive rebounder
        get positive credits.

        --MKT

        > > I'm not looking for formal studies, but rather gut feel from people
        > on these, maybe with some explanation for the answers, maybe
        > without. I recognize that coaches often don't think about
        > distributing credit this way and that it, in some ways, goes against
        > the spirit of the roles players should have. This is an attempt to
        > identify whether people have thought about decisions about credit and
        > to collect results into a report for coaches to view.
        >
        > Dean Oliver
        > Journal of Basketball Studies
        > www.rawbw.com/~deano/index.html

      • mikel_ind
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 14, 2002
          This raises the spectre of French judges, and tends to drive me to
          the side of those who like to say "stats don't matter; only winning
          matters".

          But I will endeavor to make constructive comments.

          > 1. The point guard passes through the defense to a big man
          > underneath the basket for a dunk. What percentage of the credit for
          > the TEAM score should go to the passer vs. the scorer? Obviously,
          > one player gets an assist and one gets the field goal, but,
          > subjectively, should they split credit 50-50?

          The guard lobs a pass up high, the big man has to reach behind
          himself while leaping out of the gym: 120% to the big man, -20% to
          the passer.
          (Obviously, every case is different).

          > 2. A point guard passes to an unguarded mediocre shooter at the
          > perimeter who makes a jump shot. How should credit be split here?

          Depends on the shot clock and a zillion other things. Who decides
          that guy is mediocre? Maybe that is his spot. Maybe he was knocking
          them down in practice. Maybe the guy needs a vote of confidence.
          Ignoring your wide-open shooter is poison to team chemistry, besides
          surrendering to the opposition at that matchup.

          > 3. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
          > roll-guy near the basket for an open 5 ft shot.
          >
          > 4. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
          > roll-guy popping out for a 15 ft jump shot.
          >
          > 5. On a pick and roll, the guard's man is picked off with no
          switch,
          > freeing him for an open 18 ft jump shot.

          My guts tell me success is its own reward, players get back to the
          guy that set them up, teams gel or don't gel, playing time is the
          result of good play.

          > 6. In situation 3, how do you split the credit/blame to the two
          > defenders who didn't shut down the pick and roll? Should the rest
          of
          > the team also receive blame? How much?

          How many ways could one split a hair? Further, why should one?

          > 9. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded and stuck back in
          > by a teammate. How much credit goes to the two players?
          >
          > 10. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded by a teammate.
          > He passes back to the guard to restart the offense, which, after
          > several passes, scores. How much credit should go to the offensive
          > rebounder?

          Now we are looking at the spectre of several "French judgments" on
          the same play.

          Sorry, I just don't get it.

          Mike Goodman
        • mikel_ind
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14, 2002

            > Here are my gut feel answers:
            > >
            > > 1. The point guard passes through the defense to a big man
            > > underneath ...., should they split credit 50-50?
            >
            > Passer 2/3, dunker 1/3.

            Any number from .1 to .9 might be appropriate.

            >...ideally we'd want the point guard to pass to unguarded good
            > shooters rather than unguarded mediocre shooters. It's a clearly
            superior
            > situation, and is likely to be harder for the passer to achieve.
            (If it's
            > Shawn Bradley 30 feet from the basket, getting the ball to him is
            no great
            > achievement).

            Passing to Bradley 30 feet away will yield no assists, so this credit
            is built-in.
            (Unless the clock is about to expire, and Bradley is the only guy
            open. In this case, not-passing-to-Bradley should get you yanked
            from the game.)

            > All that suggests that the passer should get more credit when
            passing to
            > the good shooter than the mediocre shooter.
            >.... So if Reggie Miller and Jeff Foster both hit open
            > 20 footers, should Reggie get less credit than Foster?
            >
            > Miller WILL make more of those baskets, so maybe it's okay to give
            him
            > less credit -- but it better not be TOO much less. Otherwise, he
            might go
            > 5-10 one night on open 20 footers, and Foster would go 4-10 ... and
            Foster
            > might be rated as having a better performance!

            Indeed, the longer you think about it, the more unimaginable the idea
            becomes. (Shouldn't Foster really be banging the boards, rather than
            hanging out at 20 feet?)

            > > 3. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
            > > roll-guy near the basket for an open 5 ft shot.
            >
            > Guard gets 2/3 credit.
            >

            > > 4. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
            > > roll-guy popping out for a 15 ft jump shot.
            >
            > Guard gets half credit.

            We could have concentric arcs that assign % credit in this way.
            While we're at it, install sensors under the floor, in the ball, and
            in the shoes of the players, so it is all tabulated electronically.

            This is reminiscent of some suggested extra arcs that give a team
            only 1 point inside 5 feet (or 10, or whatever), and 4 points beyond
            40 feet, etc.

            > > 5. On a pick and roll, the guard's man is picked off with no
            switch,
            > > freeing him for an open 18 ft jump shot.
            >
            > Guard gets 3/4 credit, pick-setter gets 1/4. Hmm, but how much of
            this
            > was not due to EITHER of them,

            Indeed, there are players setting picks for the pickers, acting as
            decoys, combining these actions with positioning for rebounding... My
            guess is, there are infinite possibilities you could consider.

            > but instead should be counted as a negative
            > against the defenders who failed to do their job? Should a made
            basket
            > always represent only positive things, to be apportioned among the
            > offensive players, or should we instead deduct some credits from the
            > defenders?

            Another odious can of worms: Negative statistics. Perhaps
            competition at any level should have some accounting system that adds
            up to zero. Every success is the result of some mistake.

            At a game, one is sometimes surrounded by fans who only see the
            negative aspects of the game, and a "positive" comment is "About time
            he hit that shot", or some such.

            I see the game as 90-99% beauty and excellence. Sometimes I can't
            remember the last time someone misplayed anything.

            If it were an orchestra, of course more than 90% of the notes have to
            be essentially perfect. But there is no D in music.

            What the heck were we talking about here?
          • alleyoop2
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14, 2002
              Fascinating topic Dean. I put in my $0.02 below each item.

              > I posed the following to a bunch of coaches. This group is a bit
              > tainted by my opinion, but I'll ask anyway...
              >
              > I am interested in obtaining some opinions on distributing
              > credit to players for different situations in basketball.
              >
              > For example
              >
              > 1. The point guard passes through the defense to a big man
              > underneath the basket for a dunk. What percentage of the credit for
              > the TEAM score should go to the passer vs. the scorer? Obviously,
              > one player gets an assist and one gets the field goal, but,
              > subjectively, should they split credit 50-50?

              Normally, I think the shooter should get most of the credit, since he
              has to both get open and make the shot. In this case, since the pass
              led directly to a dunk, I think it should be split more evenly. 50-
              50, or 60-40 for the shooter at worst.

              > 2. A point guard passes to an unguarded mediocre shooter at the
              > perimeter who makes a jump shot. How should credit be split here?

              Passing to a mediocre shooter is its own reward. He'll make a lower
              percentage so the guard will get fewer assist "credits." I would
              consider this a fairly normal assist and give 2/3 to the shooter, 1/3
              to the passer.

              > 3. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
              > roll-guy near the basket for an open 5 ft shot.
              >
              > 4. On a pick and roll, the guard gets double-teamed and finds the
              > roll-guy popping out for a 15 ft jump shot.

              Very little difference between these two IMHO, since a lot depends on
              where the roll guy decides to go. I'd go 2/3 for the shooter on each.

              > 5. On a pick and roll, the guard's man is picked off with no
              switch,
              > freeing him for an open 18 ft jump shot.

              Interesting - a pick leading directly to a basket. Theoretically that
              should be worth as much as an assist. I would give as much as 1/3 of
              the credit to the screener.

              > 6. In situation 3, how do you split the credit/blame to the two
              > defenders who didn't shut down the pick and roll? Should the rest
              of
              > the team also receive blame? How much?
              >
              > 7. Same question for splitting defensive credit for #4.
              >
              > 8. Same question for splitting defensive credit for #5.

              I think, if you're doing this, you have to assign -2 points to your
              defense somehow on this play. On the pick and roll it should probably
              be split among the two guys, unless one made a particularly poor play.

              > 9. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded and stuck back in
              > by a teammate. How much credit goes to the two players?

              Negative credit for the guard, unless you think he was passing it off
              the rim. Two credits for the rebounder - 1) regaining possession, and
              2) making the basket.

              > 10. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded by a teammate.
              > He passes back to the guard to restart the offense, which, after
              > several passes, scores. How much credit should go to the offensive
              > rebounder?

              This is why I separate the regaining possession from making the
              basket above. Same negative credit to the guard.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 14, 2002
                I won't say much yet on this, but I do want to introduce one aspect
                with regard to

                > > 9. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded and stuck back
                in
                > > by a teammate. How much credit goes to the two players?
                > >

                > Negative credit for the guard, unless you think he was passing it
                off
                > the rim. Two credits for the rebounder - 1) regaining possession,
                and
                > 2) making the basket.

                One of the things I remember hearing about Dominique Wilkins and have
                heard about Allen Iverson is that their shots are more often
                rebounded by their own team because their teammates know that they
                are going to shoot the ball. We already have put forth evidence (I
                think, I know I did the work) showing that Iverson's presence does
                help the Philly offense even though the boy sometimes can't hit the
                side of a barn with his shot.

                Just something to consider.

                DeanO
              • McKibbin, Stuart
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 14, 2002
                  I'm not looking for formal studies, but rather gut feel from people
                  on these, maybe with some explanation for the answers, maybe
                  without.

                  1. The point guard passes through the defense to a big man
                  underneath the basket for a dunk. What percentage of the credit for
                  the TEAM score should go to the passer vs. the scorer? Obviously,
                  one player gets an assist and one gets the field goal, but,
                  subjectively, should they split credit 50-50?

                  If the pass is truly through the defense, that is, if the point guard had to see the opening and thread the ball at high velocity past defenders to the big man, (who then has to be able to handle the pass and not drop it) who dunks the ball without the defense being able to react then I'd give ALL of the credit to the PG. The PG made the play.

                  2. A point guard passes to an unguarded mediocre shooter at the
                  perimeter who makes a jump shot. How should credit be split here?

                  NO credit should ever be given for making a basic pass. However, if the point guard penetrates and draws Mr. Mediocre's defender to him, and subsequently passes the ball to Mr. Mediocre who hits his wide open shot then PG should get ALL of the credit. Again, the PG made the play.

                  9. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded and stuck back in
                  by a teammate. How much credit goes to the two players?

                  I agree with others---what the hell did the guard do to earn credit? It sounds like his offensive rebounding teammate just bailed him out.

                  10. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded by a teammate.
                  He passes back to the guard to restart the offense, which, after
                  several passes, scores. How much credit should go to the offensive
                  rebounder?

                  No more than should be given a guy for grabbing a defensive rebound, or stealing the ball, or taking the ball out of the net. Or for that matter, to the opponent for kicking the ball out of bounds. In other words if the offensive rebound doesn't lead DIRECTLY to the basket, who cares how you got the ball?
                • dlirag
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 29, 2002
                    > > > 9. A guard misses a jump shot, which is rebounded and stuck
                    back
                    > in
                    > > > by a teammate. How much credit goes to the two players?
                    > > >

                    > > Negative credit for the guard, unless you think he was passing it
                    > off
                    > > the rim. Two credits for the rebounder - 1) regaining possession,
                    > and
                    > > 2) making the basket.
                    >
                    > One of the things I remember hearing about Dominique Wilkins and
                    have
                    > heard about Allen Iverson is that their shots are more often
                    > rebounded by their own team because their teammates know that they
                    > are going to shoot the ball. We already have put forth evidence (I
                    > think, I know I did the work) showing that Iverson's presence does
                    > help the Philly offense even though the boy sometimes can't hit the
                    > side of a barn with his shot.

                    A shot can be seen as a pass that results in one of the following
                    things happening: 2 or 3 points are immediately scored (45% chance),
                    the ball ends up in a teammate's hands (16% chance), or the ball goes
                    to the opposing team (39% chance).

                    Seen this way, a missed jump shot that's put back in by a teammate
                    could be recast as a bad pass to a teammate who manages to score off
                    this pass. Maybe one should allocate credit with this revised view of
                    missed shots in mind, but I'm not yet sure.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 29, 2002
                      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "dlirag" <dlirag@h...> wrote:

                      > > One of the things I remember hearing about Dominique Wilkins and
                      > have
                      > > heard about Allen Iverson is that their shots are more often
                      > > rebounded by their own team because their teammates know that
                      they
                      > > are going to shoot the ball. We already have put forth evidence
                      (I
                      > > think, I know I did the work) showing that Iverson's presence
                      does
                      > > help the Philly offense even though the boy sometimes can't hit
                      the
                      > > side of a barn with his shot.
                      >
                      > A shot can be seen as a pass that results in one of the following
                      > things happening: 2 or 3 points are immediately scored (45%
                      chance),
                      > the ball ends up in a teammate's hands (16% chance), or the ball
                      goes
                      > to the opposing team (39% chance).

                      This gets at what Gary Skoog did in one of James' abstracts, where
                      they assessed the expected runs for every given state and assigned
                      credit/blame for transitions between those states.

                      At the point before a shot, every possession is worth about 1 pt.
                      After the shot, it could go to 2 pts with a made shot and end of
                      possession, 3 pts with a made shot and end of possession, rare cases
                      of >3 pts with or without continued possession, 0 pts with the
                      probability of an offensive rebound (expected value of 1 pt after
                      OR), 0 pts with probability of opponent getting the ball (expected
                      value of 0 after DR). In the 0 pts with offensive rebound, you
                      diminish the value of the missed shot by about 2/3 (assuming 1/3
                      chance of OR), so, using relative to the mean credit (as Skoog did),
                      the credit is -2/3 to the shooter who missed (bring expected points
                      from 1 to 1/3), 2/3 to the offensive rebounder (who brought it back
                      to 1), then 1 to the scorer (for going from 1 to 2). If this
                      methodology is carried out in detail, you could modify the shooter-
                      specific OR%, so that rather than diminishing Iverson's misses by
                      2/3, you diminish them by 1/2 if you think that half of his misses
                      are rebounded by the offense.

                      Though in this case the rebounder and scorer are the same, note that
                      there is more relative credit to the scorer (+1) than to the
                      rebounder (+2/3). This may be in conflict with what the offensive
                      rebound studies we did earlier here said, but I'd need to check.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 29, 2002
                        On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

                        > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "dlirag" <dlirag@h...> wrote:

                        [...]

                        > > A shot can be seen as a pass that results in one of the following
                        > > things happening: 2 or 3 points are immediately scored (45%
                        > chance),
                        > > the ball ends up in a teammate's hands (16% chance), or the ball
                        > goes
                        > > to the opposing team (39% chance).
                        >
                        > This gets at what Gary Skoog did in one of James' abstracts, where
                        > they assessed the expected runs for every given state and assigned
                        > credit/blame for transitions between those states.
                        >
                        > At the point before a shot, every possession is worth about 1 pt.
                        > After the shot, it could go to 2 pts with a made shot and end of
                        > possession, 3 pts with a made shot and end of possession, rare cases

                        [...]

                        This is how my model of basketball works. It can be used to generate
                        means and standard deviations, but can even more directly be used to
                        estimate win probabilities. The trouble is that the models make it easy
                        and tempting to assign all the credit for an action to a player, e.g. the
                        offensive rebounder gets the +2/3 that you describe, when some of the
                        credit perhaps should go to teammates who blocked out (unlikely however in
                        an offensive rebounding situation) and maybe some of the blame should go
                        to the defensive rebounder who failed to block the guy out. So this model
                        makes assignment of credit to players easy to do -- but not necessarily
                        truly accurate.

                        > Though in this case the rebounder and scorer are the same, note that
                        > there is more relative credit to the scorer (+1) than to the
                        > rebounder (+2/3). This may be in conflict with what the offensive
                        > rebound studies we did earlier here said, but I'd need to check.

                        No, scoring a field goal is clearly more valuable than grabbing an
                        offensive rebound, even when the loss of possession is taken into account.
                        Missing a field goal is the act that is approximately equal to an
                        offensive rebound.