excessive fouling

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2002

      "....This is the "problem" we raised at the start of the season.  Defenses
      now absolutely will not give up a layup.  Big men have had declining
      shooting percentages because all their easy shots are now FTAs.  It's
      a horrible trend in the NBA but one that no one seems to want to fix
      or know how to fix.  Calling more intentional fouls and more
      flagrants near the basket may help.  I think just more intentional
      ones is good.  And they better do it soon before it becomes accepted
      that just hacking a guy taking a layup is ok....."

      i absolutely concur...there was a time in basketball long ago (it seems) where if a defender fouled a player with the ball where it was obvious to anyone that he made no attempt to go for the ball it was considered a flagrant foul. i would love to see a flagrant called anytime a foul is committed where it was obvious (in the opinion of one - or maybe two - officials) the defender made no attempt to go for the ball, or fouled harder than necessary (again in the ref's opinion), two shots awarded and then the ball out of bounds to the offensive team, and the defender ejected immediately from the game. a rule such as this would immediately stop excessive fouling as coaches would lambast players, especially their good ones, for getting tossed out of games...

      better yet i play summer softball in a league where as a deterrent to not getting tossed out of games, if tossed out for fighting or verbally abusing an umpire not only is the player gone for that game but also the next. put a rule like this into the NBA and players, in my opinion, would not sacrifice a game's pay just for commiting a flagrant foul...

      bob chaikin
      bchaikin@...
    • mikel_ind
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2002
        <.... i would love to see
        > a flagrant called anytime a foul is committed where it was
        >obvious ... the defender made no attempt to go
        > for the ball, or fouled harder than necessary ...> two shots
        >awarded and then the ball out of bounds to the offensive team, and
        > the defender ejected immediately from the game.

        I agree completely with 2 FT and the ball out, and I pretty much
        disagree with ejection. The game is not made better by ejecting
        players, and it places an enormous burden on the officials -- much
        more than the 2-FT-and-possession. The practical (easy) solution
        would be to not make the call.

        Mike Goodman
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19, 2002
          > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., bchaikin@a... wrote:
          > <.... i would love to see
          > > a flagrant called anytime a foul is committed where it was
          > >obvious ... the defender made no attempt to go
          > > for the ball, or fouled harder than necessary ...> two shots
          > >awarded and then the ball out of bounds to the offensive team, and
          > > the defender ejected immediately from the game.
          >
          > I agree completely with 2 FT and the ball out, and I pretty much
          > disagree with ejection. The game is not made better by ejecting
          > players, and it places an enormous burden on the officials -- much
          > more than the 2-FT-and-possession. The practical (easy) solution
          > would be to not make the call.

          Flagrants are being called more this season than in the past, so
          maybe the league is cracking down. I got 126 flagrants from Doug
          Steele's site in 459350 minutes this year. Last year had 138 in
          575760 minutes. About a 10% rate increase. It seems like I've seen
          a lot more than that this year, but maybe I've been paying attention.

          The benefit to the current system of flagrants is that it does take
          the burden off of any single ref for throwing a guy out. It is the
          cumulative effect of multiple fouls. If they do call flagrants
          enough, we might actually see the return of layups. Offense is
          generally up this year, for whatever reason.