Re: Brent Barry shooting pct

  • mikel_ind
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7 6:47 PM

      > > year pct. player
      > > 1956 .539 Neil Johnston, Phl
      > > 1957 .530 Neil Johnston, Phl
      >
      > 1957 was when Bill Russell entered the league, if the rumors about
      him
      > driving Neil Johnston out of the league were true, it seems that
      Russell
      > didn't have that big an immediate impact.

      Johnston's career had a pretty typical trajectory for the era:
      peaking in his 2nd season (1953), 5 great years, 2 years of decline,
      failed to finish his 8th year (1959).

      Maybe getting beat up by Russell only one night in 7 didn't ruin his
      game; but perhaps other centers learned Russell's anti-Johnston move.

      > > 1961 .542 Oscar Robertson, Cin
      > > 1962 .542 Walt Bellamy, Chi
      >
      > I don't have in front of me the scoring stats for these players,
      but I
      > think they were among the league leaders in scoring per game in
      those
      > years, which makes their high PT% especially impressive. Unlike,
      e.g.
      > Wilt's .666 in 1973 when he was no longer much of a scorer.

      Oscar was revolutionary. It is difficult to find a guard who
      shot .500 after the shot clock, until Oscar came along.

      > > 1967 .616 Wilt Chamberlain, Phl
      >
      > I think Wilt was still around 24 or 27 points per game in 1967? So
      he was
      > scoring a lot of points with high efficiency.

      Wilt shot .683 from the field, and .441 from the line, in 1967. And
      24.1 ppg.

      > > 1974 .586 Jimmy Jones, Uta(A)
      > > .... .584 Bob McAdoo, Buf
      >
      > I think this was around when McAdoo was the NBA's leading scorer,
      quite
      > an impressive feat to be the top scorer AND the top shooting
      efficiency
      > guy. Even Michael Jordan or for that matter George Gervin or Adrian
      > Dantley never led the league in shooting efficiency.
      >

      > > 1980 .657 Cedric Maxwell, Bos
      >
      > We need to think of a way to correct for the existence of the 3-
      point
      > field goal, which permits players to achieve higher scoring
      efficiency.

      The shot clock lowered efficiencies by reducing the FT rates. The 3-
      to-make-2 was eliminated and further reduced efficiency. The 3-point
      shot clearly helps some players (is the raison d'etre for many),
      while an occasional Barkley is statistically battered by his attempts.

      > > 1993 .627 Kenny Smith, Hou
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > > 2002 .659 (so far) Brent Barry, Sea
      >
      > A bit surprisingly, the top shooting efficiency players from the
      beginning
      > of the NBA 3-pter until 1992 were all inside players (Maxwell,
      Gilmore,
      > Barkley, etc.) Not until 1993 do we see a player who is clearly
      getting
      > direct benefits from 3-pters to raise his shooting efficiency.
      >
      > But since 1993, it's been all 3-pt guys, not inside guys, who've
      led the
      > NBA.

      > --MKT

      Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 3-point line was shorter
      from '94 to '97. When the NBA went back to the longer arc, the era
      of great big men had subsided.

      Of course, some attention has been brought to the idea of "scoring
      efficiency" in the last 10 years, and it is no disgrace to shoot .420
      from the floor, if it creates more points than trying to score inside.

      Mike Goodman

    • harlanzo
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9 8:21 PM
        Russell did dominate those slow hook shooters like Johnston and
        Foust. However, the thing with JOhnston is that, according to Tall
        Tales, Russell blocked a Johnston hook shot and Johnston blew out his
        knee on the play and was never able to play again. It was looked
        upon as a metaphorical passing of the torch from the old slow hook
        shot centers to the more athletic generation. (though Foust lasted
        into the 60s and was not immediately sent into retirement).

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 11 10:36 AM
          Just got back from the SEC Tourney. I've got some notes I want to
          bring up, but that's for later...

          > > 1974 .586 Jimmy Jones, Uta(A)
          > > .... .584 Bob McAdoo, Buf
          >
          > I think this was around when McAdoo was the NBA's leading scorer,
          quite
          > an impressive feat to be the top scorer AND the top shooting
          efficiency
          > guy. Even Michael Jordan or for that matter George Gervin or Adrian
          > Dantley never led the league in shooting efficiency.

          Jordan got very close in leading the league in Offensive Rating and
          Floor %, two numbers I calculate that account for shooting ability,
          turnovers, assists and offensive rebounds. (I think Terry Porter and
          Reggie Miller beat him out once or twice in Offensive Rating. Jordan
          might have won on Floor %.) Even ignoring assists and offensive
          rebounds, Jordan was very good at shooting well, shooting a lot, and
          not turning the ball over, a rare combo. Dantley turned the ball
          over a fair amount. Dominique Wilkins didn't turn the ball over much
          and shot a lot, but didn't shoot all that well (and got a worse rap
          for it than, say, Dantley did for turning the ball over).

          > > 1993 .627 Kenny Smith, Hou
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > > 2002 .659 (so far) Brent Barry, Sea
          >
          > A bit surprisingly, the top shooting efficiency players from the
          beginning
          > of the NBA 3-pter until 1992 were all inside players (Maxwell,
          Gilmore,
          > Barkley, etc.) Not until 1993 do we see a player who is clearly
          getting
          > direct benefits from 3-pters to raise his shooting efficiency.
          >
          > But since 1993, it's been all 3-pt guys, not inside guys, who've
          led the
          > NBA.

          This is the "problem" we raised at the start of the season. Defenses
          now absolutely will not give up a layup. Big men have had declining
          shooting percentages because all their easy shots are now FTAs. It's
          a horrible trend in the NBA but one that no one seems to want to fix
          or know how to fix. Calling more intentional fouls and more
          flagrants near the basket may help. I think just more intentional
          ones is good. And they better do it soon before it becomes accepted
          that just hacking a guy taking a layup is ok.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 11 10:54 PM
            On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

            [...]

            > > But since 1993, it's been all 3-pt guys, not inside guys, who've
            > led the
            > > NBA.
            >
            > This is the "problem" we raised at the start of the season. Defenses
            > now absolutely will not give up a layup. Big men have had declining
            > shooting percentages because all their easy shots are now FTAs. It's
            > a horrible trend in the NBA but one that no one seems to want to fix
            > or know how to fix. Calling more intentional fouls and more
            > flagrants near the basket may help. I think just more intentional
            > ones is good. And they better do it soon before it becomes accepted
            > that just hacking a guy taking a layup is ok.

            What I'd like to see (but come to think of it, somebody might've suggested
            this also at the start of the season) is a return to the old 3-to-make-2
            and 2-to-make-1. To reduce the value of those semi-intentional fouls.

            Conversely, one of the dumbest rules still existing in organized
            basketball is the 1-and-1 that the NCAA persists in using. It gives
            college teams yet another excuse to foul and foul, because the penalty for
            doing so is so ridiculously light. Thank goodness the NCAA does have that
            double-bonus, finally. But they should get rid of the 1-and-1 and go
            right into double-bonus. (Mens NCAA was also the last major league in the
            world that I know of that refused to use a shot clock. And when they did
            institute one, they initially turned if OFF during the last 2 minutes of a
            game. Dumb rule, boring basketball -- nothing but aimless passing and
            dribbling followed by a semi-intentional foul.)

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 14 3:06 AM
              Thanks, I've got Tall Tales but had forgotten that tidbit of information.
              Russell's first year in the NBA coincided with perhaps the worst season
              that Foust had had in his career, up to that point.

              But that may've been due to an injury, Foust bounced right back with one
              of his better seasons, and another All-star appearance the next season.
              He declined after that, but he was 30 by then so it may've been age rather
              than centers such as Russell who caused the decline.

              --MKT

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 24 4:29 PM
                > Conversely, one of the dumbest rules still existing in organized
                > basketball is the 1-and-1 that the NCAA persists in using. It gives
                > college teams yet another excuse to foul and foul, because the
                penalty for
                > doing so is so ridiculously light. Thank goodness the NCAA does
                have that
                > double-bonus, finally. But they should get rid of the 1-and-1 and
                go
                > right into double-bonus. (Mens NCAA was also the last major league

                The expected return on the 1-and-1 is, assuming 68% FT%, 1.14. That
                really isn't much of a penalty for fouling, if the value of a
                possession is about 1-1.1 in college.

                What kind of expected return should there be for excessive fouls in a
                quarter/half? Should it increase with number of fouls?

                What should the expected return be for flagrants or intentionals?

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 26 2:36 AM
                  On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

                  > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Michael K. Tamada" <tamada@o...> wrote:
                  > > Conversely, one of the dumbest rules still existing in organized
                  > > basketball is the 1-and-1 that the NCAA persists in using. It gives
                  > > college teams yet another excuse to foul and foul, because the
                  > penalty for
                  > > doing so is so ridiculously light. Thank goodness the NCAA does

                  [...]

                  > The expected return on the 1-and-1 is, assuming 68% FT%, 1.14. That
                  > really isn't much of a penalty for fouling, if the value of a
                  > possession is about 1-1.1 in college.
                  >
                  > What kind of expected return should there be for excessive fouls in a
                  > quarter/half? Should it increase with number of fouls?
                  >
                  > What should the expected return be for flagrants or intentionals?

                  Pretty much the sky is the limit here, whatever the rules are, teams will
                  adjust. The least extreme change would be something like: in the last
                  two minutes of a game, defensive fouls are automatically 3-to-make-2.
                  Regardless of the team foul situation and whether the person with the ball
                  is shooting or not. Or the foullee gets just one free throw -- but his
                  team gets to keep possession afterward. That'd reduce the deliberate
                  foulling.

                  More extreme would be make all defensive fouls, even the first ones in a
                  quarter, worth foul shots, 2 or 3-to-make-2. To prevent the "strategic
                  foulling" wherein a defender grabs a guy before he can even get a shot
                  off.

                  Changes like this would reduce foulling because of the heavy penalty
                  involved. They would also make defense harder to play -- but although
                  we're a bit ahead of the dark days of 1999 when only one team managed,
                  barely, to average 100 points a game, I think most observers would agree
                  that changes in the game that made offense easier and defense harder would
                  be a positive change now.

                  --MKT
                • mikel_ind
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 26 5:06 AM
                    > > > .... one of the dumbest rules still existing in organized
                    > > > basketball is the 1-and-1 that the NCAA persists in using.

                    One argument for retaining the 1+1 is that at developmental levels
                    (college?), free-throw shooting is a skill that is necessary to learn.

                    Performing under pressure is also something to learn.

                    > [...]
                    > ... something like: in the last
                    > two minutes of a game, defensive fouls are automatically 3-to-make-
                    2.

                    Personal preference is for fewer FT.

                    > Or the foullee gets just one free throw -- but his
                    > team gets to keep possession afterward. That'd reduce the
                    deliberate
                    > foulling.

                    This makes lots of sense. When you grab Shaq, he shoots 1 FT, Lakers
                    retain ball. Perfect solution, in fact.

                    > More extreme would be make all defensive fouls, even the first ones
                    in a
                    > quarter, worth foul shots, 2 or 3-to-make-2. To prevent
                    the "strategic
                    > foulling" wherein a defender grabs a guy before he can even get a
                    shot
                    > off.
                    >
                    > Changes like this would reduce foulling because of the heavy penalty
                    > involved. They would also make defense harder to play -- but
                    although
                    > we're a bit ahead of the dark days of 1999 when only one team
                    managed,
                    > barely, to average 100 points a game, I think most observers would
                    agree
                    > that changes in the game that made offense easier and defense
                    harder would
                    > be a positive change now.
                    >

                    > --MKT

                    I'm not trying to dote on Shaq here, but if he is shooting 40% at the
                    line, then 2 shots is worth .8 points, and 3 is worth 1.2 points.
                    Meanwhile, 1 shot and the ball is some .4 + 1 = 1.4 points.

                    Fewer FT is a better game, IMHO, and one-plus-possession seems to
                    nicely suit all purposes. If it's a hard (i.e., dangerous) foul, it
                    should be 2-plus-possession.

                    Most Shaqophiles I know like to claim that he doesn't beat up
                    defenders any worse than they beat him up. Creating such a rule
                    change might reduce the constant incidental-contact that makes it
                    hard for the ref to call it either way.

                    Then Shaq might not be such a wrecking crew, and some careers might
                    even last longer.

                    Mike Goodman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 26 8:02 AM

                      > One argument for retaining the 1+1 is that at developmental levels
                      > (college?), free-throw shooting is a skill that is necessary to
                      learn.

                      > Performing under pressure is also something to learn.
                      >
                      > > [...]
                      > > ... something like: in the last
                      > > two minutes of a game, defensive fouls are automatically 3-to-
                      make-
                      > 2.
                      >
                      > Personal preference is for fewer FT.

                      I just tend to think that 1+ the ball is a greater penalty,
                      especially since the biggest penalty at the end of a game is time
                      running off the clock.

                      > I'm not trying to dote on Shaq here, but if he is shooting 40% at
                      the
                      > line, then 2 shots is worth .8 points, and 3 is worth 1.2 points.
                      > Meanwhile, 1 shot and the ball is some .4 + 1 = 1.4 points.

                      Plus the opportunity to see Shaq on the block again. Although Shaq
                      pretty consistently shoots about 53%.

                      > Fewer FT is a better game, IMHO, and one-plus-possession seems to
                      > nicely suit all purposes. If it's a hard (i.e., dangerous) foul,
                      it
                      > should be 2-plus-possession.
                      >
                      > Most Shaqophiles I know like to claim that he doesn't beat up
                      > defenders any worse than they beat him up. Creating such a rule
                      > change might reduce the constant incidental-contact that makes it
                      > hard for the ref to call it either way.

                      I don't know how you change that incidental contact unless you call
                      the game incredibly tight, basically no contact at all, which means
                      no backing down an opponent, fewer blocked shots, lots more FTs (at
                      least in the short run). Shaq's size is a problem. I don't see any
                      way to get around the fact that the rules weren't meant for someone
                      as big and strong as he is.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 26 8:47 PM
                        On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, mikel_ind wrote:

                        [...]

                        > Fewer FT is a better game, IMHO, and one-plus-possession seems to

                        No question that fewer FT is a better game. The interesting question
                        though is what happens if we penalize fouls by giving oodles of free
                        throws to the foulee? On the one hand, we might expect lots of free
                        throws to result, but I think that the need to avoid giving the opponent
                        lots of cheap easy FTs would cause teams to foul much less. So much less
                        that the number of FTs would actually fall.

                        Conversely, 1-and-1 rules invite teams to simply hack and hack
                        "deliberately but not intentionally" (one of the biggest jokes and an
                        example of the inherent unworkability of the rules: every one of the 10
                        or 20 thousand people in the building knows that those fouls were commited
                        deliberately, and simply to send the guy to the line, but only rarely do
                        they get called as "intentional" fouls). Result: an endless march to the
                        free throw line. So awarding fewer FTs per violation actually leads to
                        more FTs being attempted in a game.

                        But, the 1 FT + possession idea could achieve both ends.

                        I don't want to say "never", but rules in sports should be such that
                        players almost never find it in their interest to deliberately break the
                        rules. There's a few acceptable rare exceptions such as the intentional
                        delay of game penalty in a football game.

                        Or alternatively, give up the sham and incorporate the act into the rules,
                        but don't try to pretend the rules are outlawing something they aren't.
                        Instead of having players run up and mug the guy with the ball
                        "deliberately but not intentionally", just permit the team to say "I
                        hereby foul Player Z" and player Z gets to shoot his FTs and a player on
                        the defensive team gets charged with a foul.

                        An example of giving up the sham: for years and years, the NBA had a
                        little fiction called the 20 second injury time-out. Originally used
                        for that purpose, but it evolved into a way for teams to call timeout
                        without using one of their precious real timeouts. I remember being in
                        Boston Garden watching Cedric Maxwell about to inbound the ball. The
                        Celtics wanted to call a 20 second injury timeout, so Cedric, at one
                        moment healthy and holding the ball up, suddenly grimaced and clutched his
                        leg and called for an injury timeout. And guffawed all the way to the
                        huddle, while we spectators said "I hope your leg feels better now
                        Cedric".

                        It was pretty amusing, but it underlined the silliness of the NBA rule
                        saying these timeouts were for looking after an injured player. A few
                        years later the NBA finally said okay we'll just call them 20-second
                        timeouts, and you can call one for any reason.

                        Much better. None of this "injury" timeout charade.

                        Ditto for deliberate fouls. Either incorporate them into the rules, or
                        better yet, get teams to stop doing in by increasing the penalty. But
                        don't try to claim there are rules against "intentional fouls" when we see
                        teams commit them every night.

                        --MKT
                      • thedawgsareout
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 27 1:06 AM

                          Well, I've been contemplating how exactly to discourage physical
                          play without increasing free throws lately myself, and hadn't gotten
                          much of anywhere. About the only thing I came up with that achieved
                          both results was reducing the number of fouls necessary to foul out,
                          but I have problems with that on a number of levels, mainly because
                          it would probably increase the frequency of so-called 'superstar
                          calls'.

                          Mike's idea for one FT + possession really does a great job of
                          achieving both goals without any other significant detriment, in my
                          opinion. Let's get David Stern on the horn. . . .

                          > An example of giving up the sham: . . .
                          > It was pretty amusing, but it underlined the silliness of the NBA
                          > rule saying these timeouts were for looking after an injured
                          > player. A few years later the NBA finally said okay we'll just
                          > call them 20-second timeouts, and you can call one for any reason.
                          >
                          > Much better. None of this "injury" timeout charade.

                          I heard the NBA was looking into ending another one of these shams,
                          the 'injured list', and just going ahead and officially calling it
                          an inactive list/squad or something of that nature. I'm conflicted;
                          I'll really miss the cases of patella tendinitis that plagued poor
                          Steve Scheffler so.
                        • Medea's Child
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 27 1:36 AM
                            --- thedawgsareout <kpelton08@...> wrote:
                            > I'll really miss the cases of patella tendinitis
                            > that plagued poor
                            > Steve Scheffler so.

                            I'm sure Steve won't.

                            Then again, maybe he will. At least then, he could
                            explain to friends and family that he's "injured" (as
                            opposed to being "irrelevant").

                            Medea's Child

                            Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards´┐Ż
                            http://movies.yahoo.com/
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 27 9:09 AM
                              > > Fewer FT is a better game, IMHO, and one-plus-possession seems to
                              >
                              > No question that fewer FT is a better game. The interesting
                              question
                              > though is what happens if we penalize fouls by giving oodles of free
                              > throws to the foulee? On the one hand, we might expect lots of free
                              > throws to result, but I think that the need to avoid giving the
                              opponent
                              > lots of cheap easy FTs would cause teams to foul much less. So
                              much less
                              > that the number of FTs would actually fall.

                              All this talk about changing the penalty to avoid fouls reminds me of
                              Bill James' similar crusade in baseball. He said that baseball's
                              intentional walk was one of the stupidest concepts around. He
                              advocated allowing a hitter to pass on first base at his option
                              (whether the walk looked intentional or not). If he got another 4
                              balls, then he could go to 2nd base, etc. It seemed like an
                              interesting tweak to me. I think a lot of hitters would still take
                              the walk most times, but not all the time (end of close games).
                              Baseball is a lot harder to change, I think, than basketball.

                              Returning to basketball, it sounds like we agree on 1 FT + possession
                              as a good deterrent to excessive fouling. To clarify, when would we
                              employ it? Just on obviously intentional fouls, even those in the
                              backcourt or not in the last two minutes? 2FT + possessions for
                              flagrant.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 28 2:32 AM
                                On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

                                [...]

                                > Returning to basketball, it sounds like we agree on 1 FT + possession
                                > as a good deterrent to excessive fouling. To clarify, when would we
                                > employ it? Just on obviously intentional fouls, even those in the
                                > backcourt or not in the last two minutes? 2FT + possessions for
                                > flagrant.

                                My vote, but I imagine I'm an extremist, is as often as possible. Doesn't
                                even have to be a penalty situation. Defenders will eventually realize
                                that if they can't handle the offensive player, it does them no good to do
                                what they currently do (foul) because the guy will get the ball back
                                anyway. Eventually they will have to simply play the best non-foulling
                                defense they can and hope the shooter misses. Or get defensive help,
                                aided by the legalized zone rules the NBA now has.

                                Purists will protest that this takes weapons away from the defenders and
                                makes the game a wimpy non-contact sport. Well it's supposed to be a
                                non-contact sport. The game would become less physical, but that's not a
                                bad thing. Our notion of what constitutes wimpy basketball can and does
                                change -- dunks used to be rare because they were viewed as inflammatory
                                dissing of the opponents, which would lead to the dunker getting whacked
                                but good on a subsequent play. Nowadays players dunk with abandon. We
                                still have the "don't give away an uncontested layin" mentality, but that
                                can and should go the way of the "no dunks" mentality.

                                Given a choice between 1980s Phoenix Suns-style Walter Davis/Larry Nance
                                high-flying greyhound basketball, vs 1990s Miami/New York slowdown grunt
                                it out basketball, I'll take the Suns. Obviously this can be taken too
                                far, the 144-142 NBA All-star game scores are a perfect example, but the
                                pendulum's been too far in the anti-scoring direction for a decade or so.