Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Payton and Barry

  • Dennis Keefe
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 2 4:32 PM
      --- HoopStudies <deano@...> wrote:

      > But
      > maybe it is more like 4 resistors in parallel and
      > with 1 resistor
      > (the center) in series. Centers really can define
      > how good a defense
      > is, even if their teammates are not good. Maybe
      > that is the case to
      > be made about Iverson.
      And my 4-1 resistor model basically
      > means that only
      > centers should win Defensive Player of the Year
      > awards. Maybe that
      > is ok.
      > DeanO

      I suppose there would be some Celtics who agree with
      the 4-1 model: Like Bob Cousy, who didn't do defense,
      since he had Russell in the last half of his career.
      Bird, of course, had Robert Parish.

      I suspect there might be some minor exceptions (Jerry
      West, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Bobby Jones, Dennis
      Johnson, John Havlicek, etc.) who might provide a
      benefit beyond the 4, but overall my intuition says
      your model would fit pretty well. And of course the
      model would probably need to be stochastic if you're a
      real stickler, but a simple discrete 4-1 model I bet
      would do a pretty decent job. (I'll bet a nickel.)
      dennis keefe

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • Dennis Keefe
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 2 4:32 PM