RE: [APBR_analysis] Bulls-Pacers trade and Artest = Pippen?

  • McKibbin, Stuart
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 19, 2002
      DeanO said: "Anyone want to take a stab at predicting how Artest, Mercer, Miller,
      Ollie for Rose, Best, Richardson and draft pick will affect the two
      teams?"

      My view is that it's a big long term plus for Chicago because now Cartwright can give Miller's minutes to Eddy Curry. Curry has the potential to be a very good low-post scorer. Short-term I also think the trade benefits Chicago because Jalen Rose is the best player in the deal, the other players are just journeymen (which is a nice way to say they're scrubs).

      Artest as the next Scottie Pippen is an interesting observation---to me the two seem to have very dissimilar games, Artest's based on strength and Pippen's based on speed and long limbs. What are the statistical markers that make them comparable?
    • Dennis Keefe
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 2, 2002
        --- HoopStudies <deano@...> wrote:

        > But
        > maybe it is more like 4 resistors in parallel and
        > with 1 resistor
        > (the center) in series. Centers really can define
        > how good a defense
        > is, even if their teammates are not good. Maybe
        > that is the case to
        > be made about Iverson.
        And my 4-1 resistor model basically
        > means that only
        > centers should win Defensive Player of the Year
        > awards. Maybe that
        > is ok.
        > DeanO

        I suppose there would be some Celtics who agree with
        the 4-1 model: Like Bob Cousy, who didn't do defense,
        since he had Russell in the last half of his career.
        Bird, of course, had Robert Parish.

        I suspect there might be some minor exceptions (Jerry
        West, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Bobby Jones, Dennis
        Johnson, John Havlicek, etc.) who might provide a
        benefit beyond the 4, but overall my intuition says
        your model would fit pretty well. And of course the
        model would probably need to be stochastic if you're a
        real stickler, but a simple discrete 4-1 model I bet
        would do a pretty decent job. (I'll bet a nickel.)
        dennis keefe

        http://sports.yahoo.com