Re: NBA assists in 1960

  • baqontraq1211
    Message 1 of 8 , May 21 9:52 AM
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "tosheff" <tosheff@...> wrote:

      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "baqontraq1211"
      <baqontraq1211@> wrote:

      > > 1960 is really just a random date -- but its clear that assists
      were
      > > being watched and yet they do not seem to appear in box scores.
      > >
      > > But I see several cases where people must be drawing assist data
      from
      > > somewhere. So where are they drawing this data from?
      > >
      > In the '50's when I participated, assists were at the behest of the
      home time stats
      > guy....and, there were few good stats guys to cover the whole
      spectrum. Today, a small
      > computer handles all of the stats while early years a #2 yellow
      pencil did the stroke.

      Thank you.

      When stats are given for the year, notably basketballreference.com,
      etc., I'm assuming thier ability to come up with assists stats must
      mean somewhere, somehow totals were kept for each player.

      Thank you for the insight into that era.

      It seems the assists data must have been drawn from some database -
      as yarly totals and averages would not have been possible unless such
      stats had been kept for each game.

      I'm sure we all regret the difficulty in finding complete historical
      box scores throughout the NBA's history.
    • Clay Dreslough
      Message 2 of 8 , May 21 9:52 AM
        Marc G wrote:
        > In both college and pro statistical rules, the shot attempt would only
        > count if the shot is made.

        Thanks. That's what I thought.

        > Otherwise, it would be unfair to player being fouled and statistically innacurate as all missed shots must have
        > a corresponding rebound.

        What about rebounds that go over the backboard (or the rare rebound that goes
        OOB without being touched)? Do those get a rebound credited to someone in the stats?

        Clay
        --
        Clay Dreslough
        President, Sports Mogul Inc.
        Message 3 of 8 , May 22 1:46 PM
          According to Pro (NBA, WNBA)- balls that go over the backboard or out of bounds without being controlled by a player are credited as team rebounds.  This would also apply to a rebound that occurs after a loose ball foul is called, a missed 1st free throw in a 2 free throw scenario, a shot taken to beat the clock at the end of a quarter that does not go in and the buzzer sounds while ball is in the air and even on a shot that is an airball on a 24 second violation (shot counts so a rebound has to be credited).

          According to NCAA rules, balls that go over backboards are deadball team rebounds.  Balls that go out of bounds without anyone controlling them are team rebounds.  They deadball and non-deadball team rebounds are shown on the stat sheets in different places and the description pretty much tells you when each is credited.  If the clock has stopped- such as when the ball passes over the backboard or such as on a missed 1st free throw in a 2 free throw situation) it is a dead-ball team rebound.  Otherwise, it is a regular team rebound.