RE: [APBR_analysis] Scorekeeping Question

  • Marc G
    Message 1 of 8 , May 21, 2008
      In both college and pro statistical rules, the shot attempt would only count if the shot is made.  Otherwise, it would be unfair to player being fouled and statistically innacurate as all missed shots must have a corresponding rebound.

      I heard an interesting comment from a college stat crew once who told me that their coach insisted that if his player blocked a shot during a foul in the act of shooting, he should be credited with the block.  Logic was that if the shot went in, it would be counted.  His player was preventing that even if it was nullified by the foul.  Interesting logic.

      To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
      From: tosheff@...
      Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 04:51:30 -0700
      Subject: Re: [APBR_analysis] Scorekeeping Question

      I'ld say if the initial attempt is made...then, the shot is implicated. The foul comes after the attempt.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 21, 2008
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "tosheff" <tosheff@...> wrote:

        > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "baqontraq1211"
        <baqontraq1211@> wrote:

        > > 1960 is really just a random date -- but its clear that assists
        were
        > > being watched and yet they do not seem to appear in box scores.
        > >
        > > But I see several cases where people must be drawing assist data
        from
        > > somewhere. So where are they drawing this data from?
        > >
        > In the '50's when I participated, assists were at the behest of the
        home time stats
        > guy....and, there were few good stats guys to cover the whole
        spectrum. Today, a small
        > computer handles all of the stats while early years a #2 yellow
        pencil did the stroke.

        Thank you.

        When stats are given for the year, notably basketballreference.com,
        etc., I'm assuming thier ability to come up with assists stats must
        mean somewhere, somehow totals were kept for each player.

        Thank you for the insight into that era.

        It seems the assists data must have been drawn from some database -
        as yarly totals and averages would not have been possible unless such
        stats had been kept for each game.

        I'm sure we all regret the difficulty in finding complete historical
        box scores throughout the NBA's history.
      • Clay Dreslough
        Message 3 of 8 , May 21, 2008
          Marc G wrote:
          > In both college and pro statistical rules, the shot attempt would only
          > count if the shot is made.

          Thanks. That's what I thought.

          > Otherwise, it would be unfair to player being fouled and statistically innacurate as all missed shots must have
          > a corresponding rebound.

          What about rebounds that go over the backboard (or the rare rebound that goes
          OOB without being touched)? Do those get a rebound credited to someone in the stats?

          Clay
          --
          Clay Dreslough
          President, Sports Mogul Inc.
          Message 4 of 8 , May 22, 2008
            According to Pro (NBA, WNBA)- balls that go over the backboard or out of bounds without being controlled by a player are credited as team rebounds.  This would also apply to a rebound that occurs after a loose ball foul is called, a missed 1st free throw in a 2 free throw scenario, a shot taken to beat the clock at the end of a quarter that does not go in and the buzzer sounds while ball is in the air and even on a shot that is an airball on a 24 second violation (shot counts so a rebound has to be credited).

            According to NCAA rules, balls that go over backboards are deadball team rebounds.  Balls that go out of bounds without anyone controlling them are team rebounds.  They deadball and non-deadball team rebounds are shown on the stat sheets in different places and the description pretty much tells you when each is credited.  If the clock has stopped- such as when the ball passes over the backboard or such as on a missed 1st free throw in a 2 free throw situation) it is a dead-ball team rebound.  Otherwise, it is a regular team rebound.