Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Wesley Person

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002

      wesley person is and always has been a one-trick pony - a good shooter. he is a luxury on a good team (a.k.a. steve kerr on the bulls/spurs) and a liability on a poor team. person is a lifetime 50%+ on 2s and 40%+ on 3s and you're thinking "...who wouldn't take that?..."...

      the problem is that person has a possession factor (touches per minute) of 0.70 - 0.75, that is well below the average shooting guard. IF he was a good defender, IF he was a good rebounder, IF he got alot of steals, IF he did anything else other than shoot good he'd be a, for lack of a better term, two-trick pony, but he's not. he can't rebound, he can't play anything better than average D at most (and i think i'm being generous here), he doesn't get alot of steals, and on those nights where he isn't hitting his shots he's pretty much worthless if he's playing major minutes. he rarely if ever goes to the basket, and with such a low possession factor/touches-per-min that means someone else has to handle the ball more, and unless those people are good the team isn't being helped. i guarantee you he shouldn't be starting for an nba team, and is only starting for the cavs by default because stith is worthless and ricky davis is too erratic. very few players in this league who are good shooters only start for an nba team...

      "...the cavaliers have several good all-around players...". not sure who you are looking at here - or are you just trying to be politically correct in not saying bad things about some of the players? the cavaliers currently have the 4th worst record in the league (14-32) ahead of only memphis, chicago, and den. they have two really good players at best, and one isn't even playing much (andre miller and ilgauskas). this team doesn't even have several average all-around players...

      ricky davis and jumaine jones are former bench players getting now solid backup minutes (jones is starting some too). you typically only see this (two bench players the year before) on an expansion team or one chewed up with injuries. skinner is a journeyman at best. stith is a has been that never really had a lot of "has". doleac has shown very little in 3 years and mihm is only in his 2nd season and not progressing very well - he's on a team that needs frontcourt minutes and he's averaging less than 30 min/g on a team starved for frontcourt talent. coles is collecting a paycheck and lamond murray of all people is this team's "go-to" guy. no wonder andre miller has one of the highest possession factors in the league - no one else can get open, he often has to do it by himself....

      "...a decent backup at most positions seems to be the big shortfall..."? on the contrary, most of the players playing are backups. this team needs two starters just to play .500...

      if miller got hurt soon for the season, and ilgauskas continued to play all of 20 min/g, this team could easily lose 30 of its next 36 games and lose 60-65 games for the year...

      bob chaikin
      bchaikin@...

    • alleyoop2
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002
        The Person-Murray-Jones-Davis combo on the wings looks good statwise.
        The problem is that none of them can guard their mother. In the case
        of Jones I'm actually being literal: I'm really not sure the guy
        could guard his mother. Because of this, Cleveland is the worst
        defensive team in the league besides Atlanta; they've gotten better
        now that Stith's back but they're still pretty bad.

        I have them rated 20th offensively, which ain't great but is better
        than it sounds (they're near the bottom of a big cluster of teams).
        Andre helps get the other guys shots, and if they could play Z more
        than 20 minutes a night and had any other frontcourt players with a
        pulse they would have a pretty good offense. But it's the defense
        that kills them. Actually the lame frontcourt hurts their defense as
        much as their offense and makes the wing guys look even worse.