Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Box score order question

  • A.P.
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
      Try the NBA Operations Manual

      rbellotti@... wrote:
      Marc,

      Do you happen to know where one could get a copy of the NBA statistician' s manual?

      Thanks,
      Bob

      From: "Marc" <nuscore@hotmail. com>
      I can tell you that requirements and results are different for college
      and NBA. In the NBA, teams can only play (2)forwards, (2)guards and a
      center and they are supposed to be listed in the opening boxscore,
      according to the NBA statisticians manual in the following order:
      Small Forward, Power Forward, Center, Point Guard, Shooting Guard

      The subs are then entered in order of appearance on the floor with any
      players who do not appear at the bottom of the box in alphabetical
      order with their reason for not appearing. The inactives for the game
      appear in a separate line and not in the boxscore itself.

      For college, there are no requirements for how many of which position
      is in the line-up. There can be 5 guards or 5 forwards or any
      mixture. The software used by most college teams will have the line-
      ups appear in the following way: forward(s) followed by center(s)
      followed by guard(s). In each category, the starters will be in o rder
      numerically.

      The subs will appear in numerical order no matter how they entered the
      game below the starters and players who do not get into the game will
      not appear anywhere on the boxscore.

      Hope this helps.
      --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, "baqontraq1211"
      <baqontraq1211@ ...> wrote:

      > I have looked over older box scores and was wondering if there was
      any
      > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
      >
      > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
      > moment.
      >
      > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
      > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in which
      > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
      >
      > Any insight would be be appreciated.

    • A.P.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
          I've been doing the the hard way. Picking through old newspapers
          trying to find box scores, game write ups, the rare analytical piece
          here and there. It seems there is always a simpler way you find
          after the fact that would have saved a lot of time and effort.

          In any case, right now I am just looking to take a comprehensive look
          at the lakers' 1959-60 season - the last one in Minneapolis. I'm
          basically just doing it as a fan.

          Ideally I will end up with:
          1.) Having seen a write up and box score for every game of the season.
          2.) Comprehensive and accurate (if possible)transaction log for the
          year for the Lakers.
          3.) League transactions for the year (which will also help me
          identify the unlisted DNPs for the box scores)

          The end goal is a personal "yearbook" of sorts. Getting one done
          should help making others easier.

          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "A.P." <justapb@...> wrote:

          > How did you find those? And what are you doing with those numbers?
          >
          > baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@...> wrote: I have looked
          over older box scores and was wondering if there was any
          > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
          >
          > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
          > moment.
          >
          > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
          > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in
          which
          > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
          >
          > Any insight would be be appreciated.
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          Search.

        • Patricio Raúl Minig
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 23, 2007
            Contratulations, great work. I'd love to do something like that, but from Argentina it's very difficult to do.
            Regards,
            Pato

            To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
            From: baqontraq1211@...
            Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:45:27 +0000
            Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Box score order question

            I've been doing the the hard way. Picking through old newspapers
            trying to find box scores, game write ups, the rare analytical piece
            here and there. It seems there is always a simpler way you find
            after the fact that would have saved a lot of time and effort.

            In any case, right now I am just looking to take a comprehensive look
            at the lakers' 1959-60 season - the last one in Minneapolis. I'm
            basically just doing it as a fan.

            Ideally I will end up with:
            1.) Having seen a write up and box score for every game of the season.
            2.) Comprehensive and accurate (if possible)transactio n log for the
            year for the Lakers.
            3.) League transactions for the year (which will also help me
            identify the unlisted DNPs for the box scores)

            The end goal is a personal "yearbook" of sorts. Getting one done
            should help making others easier.

            --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, "A.P." <justapb@... > wrote:

            > How did you find those? And what are you doing with those numbers?
            >
            > baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@ ...> wrote: I have looked
            over older box scores and was wondering if there was any
            > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
            >
            > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
            > moment.
            >
            > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
            > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in
            which
            > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
            >
            > Any insight would be be appreciated.

            Search.