Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Box score order question

  • A.P.
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
      Yeah you need a credential. They did at one time have nbamediacentral.com open but you needed a password to get in. If you hadn't work for a Member or know someone whom isn't afraid to get and give the information then you wouldn't have access now. Try acquiring a Blue Book. I hope that this helps.

      baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@...> wrote:
      I treid taking a look too to see what i might find but no luck. My
      best guess is that someone with media credentials could gain access to
      the private, media-only section of nba.com and it would be there.

      --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, rbellotti@.. . wrote:

      > Marc,
      >
      > Do you happen to know where one could get a copy of the NBA
      statistician' s manual?

      > Thanks,
      > Bob

    • A.P.

        From: "Marc" <nuscore@hotmail. com>
        I can tell you that requirements and results are different for college
        and NBA. In the NBA, teams can only play (2)forwards, (2)guards and a
        center and they are supposed to be listed in the opening boxscore,
        according to the NBA statisticians manual in the following order:
        Small Forward, Power Forward, Center, Point Guard, Shooting Guard

        The subs are then entered in order of appearance on the floor with any
        players who do not appear at the bottom of the box in alphabetical
        order with their reason for not appearing. The inactives for the game
        appear in a separate line and not in the boxscore itself.

        For college, there are no requirements for how many of which position
        is in the line-up. There can be 5 guards or 5 forwards or any
        mixture. The software used by most college teams will have the line-
        ups appear in the following way: forward(s) followed by center(s)
        followed by guard(s). In each category, the starters will be in o rder
        numerically.

        The subs will appear in numerical order no matter how they entered the
        game below the starters and players who do not get into the game will
        not appear anywhere on the boxscore.

        Hope this helps.
        --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, "baqontraq1211"
        <baqontraq1211@ ...> wrote:

        > I have looked over older box scores and was wondering if there was
        any
        > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
        >
        > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
        > moment.
        >
        > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
        > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in which
        > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
        >
        > Any insight would be be appreciated.

      • A.P.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
            I've been doing the the hard way. Picking through old newspapers
            trying to find box scores, game write ups, the rare analytical piece
            here and there. It seems there is always a simpler way you find
            after the fact that would have saved a lot of time and effort.

            In any case, right now I am just looking to take a comprehensive look
            at the lakers' 1959-60 season - the last one in Minneapolis. I'm
            basically just doing it as a fan.

            Ideally I will end up with:
            1.) Having seen a write up and box score for every game of the season.
            2.) Comprehensive and accurate (if possible)transaction log for the
            year for the Lakers.
            3.) League transactions for the year (which will also help me
            identify the unlisted DNPs for the box scores)

            The end goal is a personal "yearbook" of sorts. Getting one done
            should help making others easier.

            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "A.P." <justapb@...> wrote:

            > How did you find those? And what are you doing with those numbers?
            >
            > baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@...> wrote: I have looked
            over older box scores and was wondering if there was any
            > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
            >
            > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
            > moment.
            >
            > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
            > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in
            which
            > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
            >
            > Any insight would be be appreciated.
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            Search.

          • Patricio Raúl Minig
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 23, 2007
              Contratulations, great work. I'd love to do something like that, but from Argentina it's very difficult to do.
              Regards,
              Pato

              To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
              From: baqontraq1211@...
              Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:45:27 +0000
              Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Box score order question

              I've been doing the the hard way. Picking through old newspapers
              trying to find box scores, game write ups, the rare analytical piece
              here and there. It seems there is always a simpler way you find
              after the fact that would have saved a lot of time and effort.

              In any case, right now I am just looking to take a comprehensive look
              at the lakers' 1959-60 season - the last one in Minneapolis. I'm
              basically just doing it as a fan.

              Ideally I will end up with:
              1.) Having seen a write up and box score for every game of the season.
              2.) Comprehensive and accurate (if possible)transactio n log for the
              year for the Lakers.
              3.) League transactions for the year (which will also help me
              identify the unlisted DNPs for the box scores)

              The end goal is a personal "yearbook" of sorts. Getting one done
              should help making others easier.

              --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, "A.P." <justapb@... > wrote:

              > How did you find those? And what are you doing with those numbers?
              >
              > baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@ ...> wrote: I have looked
              over older box scores and was wondering if there was any
              > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
              >
              > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
              > moment.
              >
              > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
              > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in
              which
              > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
              >
              > Any insight would be be appreciated.

              Search.