Re: Box score order question

  • baqontraq1211
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
      I didn't want to clutter the board with questions from me, but none of
      the box scores I have seen so far from 1959-60 have listed rebounds and
      assists - but from looking at random news articles they were being kept.

      I have seen stats for the entire year at basketballreference.com but
      where might I find individual game stats?

      Are there specific newspapers that consistently put out the most
      compete stats?

      Is there some kind of resource out there that can be tapped into?

    • baqontraq1211
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
        I treid taking a look too to see what i might find but no luck. My
        best guess is that someone with media credentials could gain access to
        the private, media-only section of nba.com and it would be there.

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, rbellotti@... wrote:

        > Marc,
        >
        > Do you happen to know where one could get a copy of the NBA
        statistician's manual?

        > Thanks,
        > Bob

      • A.P.
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
          Yeah you need a credential. They did at one time have nbamediacentral.com open but you needed a password to get in. If you hadn't work for a Member or know someone whom isn't afraid to get and give the information then you wouldn't have access now. Try acquiring a Blue Book. I hope that this helps.

          baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@...> wrote:
          I treid taking a look too to see what i might find but no luck. My
          best guess is that someone with media credentials could gain access to
          the private, media-only section of nba.com and it would be there.

          --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, rbellotti@.. . wrote:

          > Marc,
          >
          > Do you happen to know where one could get a copy of the NBA
          statistician' s manual?

          > Thanks,
          > Bob

        • A.P.

            From: "Marc" <nuscore@hotmail. com>
            I can tell you that requirements and results are different for college
            and NBA. In the NBA, teams can only play (2)forwards, (2)guards and a
            center and they are supposed to be listed in the opening boxscore,
            according to the NBA statisticians manual in the following order:
            Small Forward, Power Forward, Center, Point Guard, Shooting Guard

            The subs are then entered in order of appearance on the floor with any
            players who do not appear at the bottom of the box in alphabetical
            order with their reason for not appearing. The inactives for the game
            appear in a separate line and not in the boxscore itself.

            For college, there are no requirements for how many of which position
            is in the line-up. There can be 5 guards or 5 forwards or any
            mixture. The software used by most college teams will have the line-
            ups appear in the following way: forward(s) followed by center(s)
            followed by guard(s). In each category, the starters will be in o rder
            numerically.

            The subs will appear in numerical order no matter how they entered the
            game below the starters and players who do not get into the game will
            not appear anywhere on the boxscore.

            Hope this helps.
            --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, "baqontraq1211"
            <baqontraq1211@ ...> wrote:

            > I have looked over older box scores and was wondering if there was
            any
            > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
            >
            > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
            > moment.
            >
            > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
            > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in which
            > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
            >
            > Any insight would be be appreciated.

          • A.P.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
                I've been doing the the hard way. Picking through old newspapers
                trying to find box scores, game write ups, the rare analytical piece
                here and there. It seems there is always a simpler way you find
                after the fact that would have saved a lot of time and effort.

                In any case, right now I am just looking to take a comprehensive look
                at the lakers' 1959-60 season - the last one in Minneapolis. I'm
                basically just doing it as a fan.

                Ideally I will end up with:
                1.) Having seen a write up and box score for every game of the season.
                2.) Comprehensive and accurate (if possible)transaction log for the
                year for the Lakers.
                3.) League transactions for the year (which will also help me
                identify the unlisted DNPs for the box scores)

                The end goal is a personal "yearbook" of sorts. Getting one done
                should help making others easier.

                --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "A.P." <justapb@...> wrote:

                > How did you find those? And what are you doing with those numbers?
                >
                > baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@...> wrote: I have looked
                over older box scores and was wondering if there was any
                > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
                >
                > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
                > moment.
                >
                > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
                > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in
                which
                > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
                >
                > Any insight would be be appreciated.
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                Search.

              • Patricio Raúl Minig
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 23, 2007
                  Contratulations, great work. I'd love to do something like that, but from Argentina it's very difficult to do.
                  Regards,
                  Pato

                  To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
                  From: baqontraq1211@...
                  Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:45:27 +0000
                  Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Box score order question

                  I've been doing the the hard way. Picking through old newspapers
                  trying to find box scores, game write ups, the rare analytical piece
                  here and there. It seems there is always a simpler way you find
                  after the fact that would have saved a lot of time and effort.

                  In any case, right now I am just looking to take a comprehensive look
                  at the lakers' 1959-60 season - the last one in Minneapolis. I'm
                  basically just doing it as a fan.

                  Ideally I will end up with:
                  1.) Having seen a write up and box score for every game of the season.
                  2.) Comprehensive and accurate (if possible)transactio n log for the
                  year for the Lakers.
                  3.) League transactions for the year (which will also help me
                  identify the unlisted DNPs for the box scores)

                  The end goal is a personal "yearbook" of sorts. Getting one done
                  should help making others easier.

                  --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, "A.P." <justapb@... > wrote:

                  > How did you find those? And what are you doing with those numbers?
                  >
                  > baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@ ...> wrote: I have looked
                  over older box scores and was wondering if there was any
                  > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
                  >
                  > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
                  > moment.
                  >
                  > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
                  > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in
                  which
                  > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
                  >
                  > Any insight would be be appreciated.

                  Search.