Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Box score order question

  • rbellotti@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 14, 2007
      Marc,

      Do you happen to know where one could get a copy of the NBA statistician's manual?

      Thanks,
      Bob

      From: "Marc" <nuscore@...>

      I can tell you that requirements and results are different for college
      and NBA. In the NBA, teams can only play (2)forwards, (2)guards and a
      center and they are supposed to be listed in the opening boxscore,
      according to the NBA statisticians manual in the following order:
      Small Forward, Power Forward, Center, Point Guard, Shooting Guard

      The subs are then entered in order of appearance on the floor with any
      players who do not appear at the bottom of the box in alphabetical
      order with their reason for not appearing. The inactives for the game
      appear in a separate line and not in the boxscore itself.

      For college, there are no requirements for how many of which position
      is in the line-up. There can be 5 guards or 5 forwards or any
      mixture. The software used by most college teams will have the line-
      ups appear in the following way: forward(s) followed by center(s)
      followed by guard(s). In each category, the starters will be in o rder
      numerically.

      The subs will appear in numerical order no matter how they entered the
      game below the starters and players who do not get into the game will
      not appear anywhere on the boxscore.

      Hope this helps.
      --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, "baqontraq1211"
      <baqontraq1211@ ...> wrote:

      > I have looked over older box scores and was wondering if there was
      any
      > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
      >
      > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
      > moment.
      >
      > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
      > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in which
      > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
      >
      > Any insight would be be appreciated.

    • baqontraq1211
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 14, 2007
        That is a fantastic (and quick) response to my question.

        As a follow on question, though, when did this come into effect?

        I would love to be able to check out older box scores and know the
        exact roster. Unfortunately, it seems to be a more recent development
        to list players who never got off the bench during that game.

        likewise, knowing the date these guidelines came into effect would be
        of great help in figuring out which roles the pro coaches had their
        players covering for a specific game.

        Reagrdless of a possible answer to this question, thank you for already
        having taken the time to respond.

        ~~~Drew
      • baqontraq1211
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
          I didn't want to clutter the board with questions from me, but none of
          the box scores I have seen so far from 1959-60 have listed rebounds and
          assists - but from looking at random news articles they were being kept.

          I have seen stats for the entire year at basketballreference.com but
          where might I find individual game stats?

          Are there specific newspapers that consistently put out the most
          compete stats?

          Is there some kind of resource out there that can be tapped into?

        • baqontraq1211
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
            I treid taking a look too to see what i might find but no luck. My
            best guess is that someone with media credentials could gain access to
            the private, media-only section of nba.com and it would be there.

            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, rbellotti@... wrote:

            > Marc,
            >
            > Do you happen to know where one could get a copy of the NBA
            statistician's manual?

            > Thanks,
            > Bob

          • A.P.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
              Yeah you need a credential. They did at one time have nbamediacentral.com open but you needed a password to get in. If you hadn't work for a Member or know someone whom isn't afraid to get and give the information then you wouldn't have access now. Try acquiring a Blue Book. I hope that this helps.

              baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@...> wrote:
              I treid taking a look too to see what i might find but no luck. My
              best guess is that someone with media credentials could gain access to
              the private, media-only section of nba.com and it would be there.

              --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, rbellotti@.. . wrote:

              > Marc,
              >
              > Do you happen to know where one could get a copy of the NBA
              statistician' s manual?

              > Thanks,
              > Bob

            • A.P.

                From: "Marc" <nuscore@hotmail. com>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
                    I've been doing the the hard way. Picking through old newspapers
                    trying to find box scores, game write ups, the rare analytical piece
                    here and there. It seems there is always a simpler way you find
                    after the fact that would have saved a lot of time and effort.

                    In any case, right now I am just looking to take a comprehensive look
                    at the lakers' 1959-60 season - the last one in Minneapolis. I'm
                    basically just doing it as a fan.

                    Ideally I will end up with:
                    1.) Having seen a write up and box score for every game of the season.
                    2.) Comprehensive and accurate (if possible)transaction log for the
                    year for the Lakers.
                    3.) League transactions for the year (which will also help me
                    identify the unlisted DNPs for the box scores)

                    The end goal is a personal "yearbook" of sorts. Getting one done
                    should help making others easier.

                    --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "A.P." <justapb@...> wrote:

                    > How did you find those? And what are you doing with those numbers?
                    >
                    > baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@...> wrote: I have looked
                    over older box scores and was wondering if there was any
                    > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
                    >
                    > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
                    > moment.
                    >
                    > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
                    > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in
                    which
                    > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
                    >
                    > Any insight would be be appreciated.
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    Search.

                  • Patricio Raúl Minig
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 23, 2007
                      Contratulations, great work. I'd love to do something like that, but from Argentina it's very difficult to do.
                      Regards,
                      Pato

                      To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
                      From: baqontraq1211@...
                      Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:45:27 +0000
                      Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Box score order question

                      I've been doing the the hard way. Picking through old newspapers
                      trying to find box scores, game write ups, the rare analytical piece
                      here and there. It seems there is always a simpler way you find
                      after the fact that would have saved a lot of time and effort.

                      In any case, right now I am just looking to take a comprehensive look
                      at the lakers' 1959-60 season - the last one in Minneapolis. I'm
                      basically just doing it as a fan.

                      Ideally I will end up with:
                      1.) Having seen a write up and box score for every game of the season.
                      2.) Comprehensive and accurate (if possible)transactio n log for the
                      year for the Lakers.
                      3.) League transactions for the year (which will also help me
                      identify the unlisted DNPs for the box scores)

                      The end goal is a personal "yearbook" of sorts. Getting one done
                      should help making others easier.

                      --- In APBR_analysis@ yahoogroups. com, "A.P." <justapb@... > wrote:

                      > How did you find those? And what are you doing with those numbers?
                      >
                      > baqontraq1211 <baqontraq1211@ ...> wrote: I have looked
                      over older box scores and was wondering if there was any
                      > rhyme or reason to the way players are listed.
                      >
                      > Specifically I am looking at the late 1950s and early 1960s at the
                      > moment.
                      >
                      > Are the players listed in the order in which they appeared in the
                      > game? e.g Starting 5 followed by substitutions in the order in
                      which
                      > they entered the game? Or is it completely random?
                      >
                      > Any insight would be be appreciated.

                      Search.