Re: Referee study: Help coding referee race

  • frontrange_
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
      Hey Michael,

      I believe it was Jack Madden who was invovled in one of the few
      protested games that the NBA actually accepted as a valid protest and
      it came about bcs of a technicals happy refs. I might have my facts a
      little screwed up but I think the Nets were involved and if memory
      serves me, Madden (or Strom) called a third tech on a player/coach
      after he kicked him outta of the game. The NBA actually made them
      replay the game from that extra tech points (sometime in the second
      half . . .)

      > Hi Justin --
      >
      > This group is largely dead, moved to SonicCentral.com/abprmetrics,
      but I believe I already saw you place this query there.

      > Going strictly by appearances (this could lead to mis-guesses, e.g.
      if I saw Jason Kidd I'd probably guess he was White):

      > Jack Madden was definitely White (in appearance). A longtime
      prominent ref in the NBA (I saw him once call 5 technical fouls on
      the Celtics and their coaches in about 10 seconds).

      > Jake O'Donnell, same.
      >
      > There are several others who I'm pretty sure are White but I better
      not say because I may've been thinking of someone else.

      > "Arzoumanian" sounds like an Armenian name, and Armenians are
      considered to be White (by the Federal census definitions; often they
      check off "Other" instead of "White"). But I don't know what he
      actually looked like so I cannot vouch for his ethnicity.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
        Interesting story, sounds a bit more like Madden than Strom.
        I've got Strom's autobiography, I don't recall him mentioning
        a protested game, of course he would be likely to leave such
        a story out of his book anyway.

        I believe it was Jack Madden who was invovled in one of the few
        protested games that the NBA actually accepted as a valid protest and
        it came about bcs of a technicals happy refs. I might have my facts a
        little screwed up but I think the Nets were involved and if memory
        serves me, Madden (or Strom) called a third tech on a player/coach
        after he kicked him outta of the game. The NBA actually made them
        replay the game from that extra tech points (sometime in the second
        half . . .)

        > Hi Justin --
        >
        > This group is largely dead, moved to SonicCentral.com/abprmetrics,
        but I believe I already saw you place this query there.

        > Going strictly by appearances (this could lead to mis-guesses, e.g.
        if I saw Jason Kidd I'd probably guess he was White):

        > Jack Madden was definitely White (in appearance). A longtime
        prominent ref in the NBA (I saw him once call 5 technical fouls on
        the Celtics and their coaches in about 10 seconds).

        > Jake O'Donnell, same.
        >
        > There are several others who I'm pretty sure are White but I better
        not say because I may've been thinking of someone else.

        > "Arzoumanian" sounds like an Armenian name, and Armenians are
        considered to be White (by the Federal census definitions; often they
        check off "Other" instead of "White"). But I don't know what he
        actually looked like so I cannot vouch for his ethnicity.

        > --MKT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • frontrange_
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
          Turned out it was Powers - he called three techs on King and
          Loughery. . .check out this story on the game:

          http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/8254402.htm

          Only game in NBA history where three players played on both teams.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 23, 2005
            Ah yes, I remember when that happened. I didn't remember
            the details such as the three technical fouls, but I
            remembered the Nets and 76ers having to re-play a game,
            even though some players had been traded between the
            teams in the interim, and so they played for both teams.

            Turned out it was Powers - he called three techs on King and
            Loughery. . .check out this story on the game:

            http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/8254402.htm

            Only game in NBA history where three players played on both teams.

            > Interesting story, sounds a bit more like Madden than Strom.
            > I've got Strom's autobiography, I don't recall him mentioning
            > a protested game, of course he would be likely to leave such
            > a story out of his book anyway.
            >

            > --MKT

            Yahoo! Groups Links