RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: run and gun

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2005
      From: Michael Tamada
      Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 11:26 PM

      If anyone's interested (probably only DeanO), here's my report
      from the Redlands @ Caltech game.

      The score was pretty lopsided, but not as lopsided as I'd been
      expecting; 155-107. Redlands looked sloppier and less accurate
      at 3-pointers than they had in the game I saw earlier, at least
      early on (looking at the box scores though, they shot 33% or 34%
      in both games). Caltech stayed quite close early on, but around
      the middle of the first half, Redlands' 3-pointers started
      falling, the Caltech turnovers started increasing (they finished
      the game with 52, compared to 18 for Redlands), and Redlands
      led at halftime 77-51. Second half was more of the same.

      Some differences between this game and the Oxy game:

      The Caltech game was a foul-fest; 74 fouls total. Caltech
      attempted more free throws (62) than field goals (54)! The
      Oxy game had only 42 fouls total, including the deliberate
      fouls late in the gmae.

      Bad blood between the teams? There was at least one flagrant foul
      (or whatever they call it in the NCAA -- a foul on a breakaway),
      and 2 technical fouls called on both Redlands and Caltech. I
      couldn't figure out what a single one of the technicals was for
      however; and I didn't see or hear any unusual woofing amongst
      the players (this being Caltech, I was able to sit in the second
      row from the court). Some annoying hecklers among the Caltech
      crowd was all I could detect (one of the Redlands fans took to
      calling one of the Caltech hecklers "7-Up", for the 7-Up bottle
      he was carrying around and swilling from, and which pretty
      clearly did not contain 7-Up).

      Redlands initially treated the inbounder the way they did
      against Oxy: that inbounder's defender would turn his
      back to the ball and look for cutters to run out and cover.
      But after maybe the first two minutes, Redlands switched to
      the more common tactic of having the defender face the
      inbounder and try to block his pass directly. Why they
      did this I don't know; it didn't seem to me to be more
      effective than their back-to-the-inbounder tactic.

      Caltech attempted only one 3-pointer during the entire game,
      similar to Oxy (which attempted none). It's not clear to
      me that this is a good strategy; on the other hand, Oxy
      shot 74% on 2-pointers and even Caltech shot 63%, so these
      could be teams who, by going for the break-the-trap-and-
      get-a-layin strategy, shoot so well on 2-pointers that
      the 3-pointer becomes a useless weapon.

      I'd been expecting about a 70-point blowout but Caltech
      made it a lot closer than that, thanks mainly to their
      three best players:

      Jordan Carlson, who I'd seen as a freshman two years ago.
      At 6'5" he's one of Caltech's tallest players, but even
      as a freshman he frequently served as a PG.

      Bryan Hires is a 6'6" freshman; he doesn't have Carlson's
      PG capabilities, but can still dribble and pass in the
      open court. More importantly, both are athletic and
      skilled; they blocked 6 shots between them and were
      among Caltech's top 2 or 3 scorers and rebounders.
      Carlson's 13 turnovers (ouch) were not a positive, but
      I don't know how many of them were literally his fault
      vs. Caltech's general wilting against Redlands' press
      and traps.

      What I didn't see either of them do was hit many
      outside shots; on the other hand Caltech was clearly
      concentrating on looking for layins, so they didn't
      attempt many.

      The third player was junior Day Ivy, at 5'11" (meaning
      he's probably actually 5'9") he is short even for a Caltech
      player. But being from Inglewood and evidently African
      American makes him even more unusual for a Caltecher. He's
      got very good quickness and athleticism. His 5th foul
      with about 10 minutes left, along with Hires foulling out
      at about the same time, put the final nails in Caltech's
      coffin; albeit their doom had been pretty much sealed in
      the first half anyway.

      The bleachers were almost full -- of course these are
      very small bleachers, I estimate attendance at about
      300, which was still about twice as many as I was
      expecting.

      --MKT
    • Mike Harris
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2005
        Mike G wrote:

        >The Grinnell style makes me think of how I was thinking of getting
        >on Jeopardy and playing: just press the buzzer every time,
        >immediately. Shut out the other players; hit and miss a bunch. The
        >competition might get frustrated, copy my style, and do even worse.
        >
        >At some point the "travesty" laws might be invoked. When a strategy
        >just buries your chances, and yet you persist, what else would it be
        >called?

        Not to be a wet blanket, but that wouldn't work. You can't buzz in
        until Alex is done reading and a little light comes on. If you do buzz
        before that, you're locked out of buzzing (for a certain number of
        seconds I believe). That's why the ability to time the buzzer is so
        important.
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 3, 2005
          For those who somehow have missed all the promos, Grinnell will be on ESPN2 tonight at
          9, which I guess is 6 for practically everyone else here except Dan and me.

          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Mike Harris <GENIE@p...> wrote:
          > Mike G wrote:
          >
          > >The Grinnell style makes me think of how I was thinking of getting
          > >on Jeopardy and playing: just press the buzzer every time,
          > >immediately. Shut out the other players; hit and miss a bunch. The
          > >competition might get frustrated, copy my style, and do even worse.
          > >
          > >At some point the "travesty" laws might be invoked. When a strategy
          > >just buries your chances, and yet you persist, what else would it be
          > >called?
          > >
          > Not to be a wet blanket, but that wouldn't work. You can't buzz in
          > until Alex is done reading and a little light comes on. If you do buzz
          > before that, you're locked out of buzzing (for a certain number of
          > seconds I believe). That's why the ability to time the buzzer is so
          > important.
        • Coach McCormick
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 3, 2005
            my take: http://highfivehoopschool.blogspot.com

            John Hollinger <alleyoop2@...> wrote:

            For those who somehow have missed all the promos, Grinnell will be on ESPN2 tonight at
            9, which I guess is 6 for practically everyone else here except Dan and me.

            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Mike Harris <GENIE@p...> wrote:
            > Mike G wrote:
            >
            > >The Grinnell style makes me think of how I was thinking of getting
            > >on Jeopardy and playing: just press the buzzer every time,
            > >immediately.  Shut out the other players; hit and miss a bunch.  The
            > >competition might get frustrated, copy my style, and do even worse.
            > >
            > >At some point the "travesty" laws might be invoked.  When a strategy
            > >just buries your chances, and yet you persist, what else would it be
            > >called?
            > >
            > Not to be a wet blanket, but that wouldn't work.  You can't buzz in
            > until Alex is done reading and a little light comes on.  If you do buzz
            > before that, you're locked out of buzzing (for a certain number of
            > seconds I believe).  That's why the ability to time the buzzer is so
            > important.

            Do you Yahoo!?