A thought

  • thedawgsareout
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002
      John Craven has referenced BaseballProspectus.com. What I thought was
      one of the most interesting things they've ever done at that site,
      though they did it only once, was when someone ran a series of
      columns soliciting fan ideas on how to turn around the Kansas City
      Royals.

      With the Royals, it was really a rather trivial discussion, because
      their problems are fairly large and well-documented because of the
      proliferation of Royals fans in baseball analysis.

      However, I still found it an interesting idea, and was wondering if
      anyone thinks it might be interesting or worthwhile to try the
      exercise as a group for an NBA franchise or two, coming up with a
      general plan to reverse their fortunes.

      Thoughts?
    • bchaikin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002

        this is an excellent idea and always fun, but for basketball today - probably moreso than the other major sports - not realistic unless you understand the salary cap (which i don't and don't wish to)...

        statistical analysis is always fun - in particular determining thru analysis what attributes a team needs in a new player to balance and also improve what they've got, and then trying to find that player and seeing what it would take to get him. this is always key to improving a team's future fortunes, but now more than ever wholely unrealistic at the level of the nba without the cap being considered for any transaction. i just read that grizzlies center bryant reeves retired with back problems, and a few years back he was signed to a huge contract (by stu jackson i think) unbefitting a player of his caliber. so i think something like $10 million is against memphis' cap this year and $14 million next. so anything the team does is dependant on money available and not necessarily on the talent of a player(s) received via trades or free agency...

        i am a cleveland cavaliers fan, and we were strapped with shawn kemp's outrageous contract for a long time (how they managed to trade him and his contract was truly a stroke of genius - god bless paul allen) and then signed zydrunas ilgauskas to a maximum contract when it surely looked like he was the second coming of sam bowie and might not ever play again (he didn't play much in the next calendar year and is being limited to backup minutes now despite being the team best player). so many teams are "trapped" like the cavaliers, who now have second line players like brian skinner, ricky davis, and even wes person playing solid minutes to compliment ilgauskas and andre miller as they struggle thru a dozen game losing streak...

        plus any trades made today have to fit within "salary cap rules", such that (as i believe i understand it) the salary value of any players received must balance the value of the players being dealt away. this basically rules out any trades of veteran players for young players or vice versa unless others are "thrown in" to balance the $$$ books...

        bob chaikin
        bchaikin@...

      • mikel_ind
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002
          >.... even wes person playing solid minutes to compliment ilgauskas
          and andre
          > miller as they struggle thru a dozen game losing streak...

          By my reckoning, Wesley Person is having a good year (after 3 seasons
          of decline), and should be starting for an NBA team.

          Standardized production rates for Wes:

          in Phoenix:
          yr min pct sco. reb ast - Total
          95 23 .591 15.8 3.9 1.8 - 22.1
          96 32 .537 14.1 4.6 1.8 - 21.2
          97 29 .563 17.0 4.7 1.8 - 24.7

          in Cleveland:
          yr min pct sco. reb ast - Total
          98 39 .578 17.4 4.8 2.4 - 26.5
          99 30 .543 15.5 4.3 2.4 - 23.6
          00 26 .523 11.9 4.5 2.5 - 19.8
          01 22 .511 10.8 4.7 2.3 - 18.7
          02 35 .595 17.2 4.0 2.6 - 25.7
          ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^

          Having career bests in shooting pct and assists, near best in scoring
          rate, Wes Person is having a resurgent season.

          I have the rest of the Cavs rated as such:

          36.7 A Miller
          29.4 Ilgauskas
          29.2 L Murray
          25.7 Person
          25.1 J Jones
          21.1 R Davis
          21.0 Mihm
          17.7 Stith
          17.2 Skinner
          17.0 Doleac
          14.3 Coles

          The Cavs have several good-all-around players, but very little punch
          off the bench. Without a top-notch rebounder, they seem to do
          alright with 8.5 rpg from their starting guards.

          A decent backup at most positions seems to be the big shortfall.

          Mike Goodman
        • bchaikin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002

            wesley person is and always has been a one-trick pony - a good shooter. he is a luxury on a good team (a.k.a. steve kerr on the bulls/spurs) and a liability on a poor team. person is a lifetime 50%+ on 2s and 40%+ on 3s and you're thinking "...who wouldn't take that?..."...

            the problem is that person has a possession factor (touches per minute) of 0.70 - 0.75, that is well below the average shooting guard. IF he was a good defender, IF he was a good rebounder, IF he got alot of steals, IF he did anything else other than shoot good he'd be a, for lack of a better term, two-trick pony, but he's not. he can't rebound, he can't play anything better than average D at most (and i think i'm being generous here), he doesn't get alot of steals, and on those nights where he isn't hitting his shots he's pretty much worthless if he's playing major minutes. he rarely if ever goes to the basket, and with such a low possession factor/touches-per-min that means someone else has to handle the ball more, and unless those people are good the team isn't being helped. i guarantee you he shouldn't be starting for an nba team, and is only starting for the cavs by default because stith is worthless and ricky davis is too erratic. very few players in this league who are good shooters only start for an nba team...

            "...the cavaliers have several good all-around players...". not sure who you are looking at here - or are you just trying to be politically correct in not saying bad things about some of the players? the cavaliers currently have the 4th worst record in the league (14-32) ahead of only memphis, chicago, and den. they have two really good players at best, and one isn't even playing much (andre miller and ilgauskas). this team doesn't even have several average all-around players...

            ricky davis and jumaine jones are former bench players getting now solid backup minutes (jones is starting some too). you typically only see this (two bench players the year before) on an expansion team or one chewed up with injuries. skinner is a journeyman at best. stith is a has been that never really had a lot of "has". doleac has shown very little in 3 years and mihm is only in his 2nd season and not progressing very well - he's on a team that needs frontcourt minutes and he's averaging less than 30 min/g on a team starved for frontcourt talent. coles is collecting a paycheck and lamond murray of all people is this team's "go-to" guy. no wonder andre miller has one of the highest possession factors in the league - no one else can get open, he often has to do it by himself....

            "...a decent backup at most positions seems to be the big shortfall..."? on the contrary, most of the players playing are backups. this team needs two starters just to play .500...

            if miller got hurt soon for the season, and ilgauskas continued to play all of 20 min/g, this team could easily lose 30 of its next 36 games and lose 60-65 games for the year...

            bob chaikin
            bchaikin@...

          • alleyoop2
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002
              The Person-Murray-Jones-Davis combo on the wings looks good statwise.
              The problem is that none of them can guard their mother. In the case
              of Jones I'm actually being literal: I'm really not sure the guy
              could guard his mother. Because of this, Cleveland is the worst
              defensive team in the league besides Atlanta; they've gotten better
              now that Stith's back but they're still pretty bad.

              I have them rated 20th offensively, which ain't great but is better
              than it sounds (they're near the bottom of a big cluster of teams).
              Andre helps get the other guys shots, and if they could play Z more
              than 20 minutes a night and had any other frontcourt players with a
              pulse they would have a pretty good offense. But it's the defense
              that kills them. Actually the lame frontcourt hurts their defense as
              much as their offense and makes the wing guys look even worse.