From baseball, 2 articles

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2005
      There is a very good debate going on in baseball regarding the role of
      "traditional" scouts and sabermetricians. There are two columns, both
      out today on ESPN, one by Rob Neyer and one by Alan Schwarz. I'd
      highly recommend reading them.

      Neyer suggests that the two groups can't coexist, but he
      simultaneously describes a world where they do work well together.
      Perhaps my experience is different, but I've been impressed by
      "traditional" basketball people willing to listen to the logic of what
      I do, whereas Neyer seems to imply that "traditional" scouts won't do
      that.

      The Schwarz piece is a debate between 2 traditional scouts and 2
      sabermetrics guys. Some very good points in there, including
      something I've said to friends -- that the Boston Red Sox title was
      not a victory for sabermetrics because they still spent a ton of money.

      Consultant to the Seattle Supersonics
      Author, Basketball on Paper
      http://www.basketballonpaper.com
      When basketball teams start playing Moneyball, this is the book
      they'll use!
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2005
        I've found the same thing -- they're willing to listen, at least,
        regardless of how old school they are. I think Moneyball has helped
        quite a bit in this regard.

        That said, when it's time to make the decision, most of these guys
        will either a) discard the information and go with their gut, or b)
        use only the information that supports their gut and disregard
        everything else.