Re: amare stoudemire

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2005
      Amare's Rebound RAt has sropped from 15.9 to 14.4 to this year's
      13.5. I think this year's drop is the most understandable -- moving
      from power forward to center means he's battling bigger people for
      the rebound. But the overall number still puzzles me -- 13.5 is way,
      way too low for a center with his athletic ability.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Coach McCormick
      <highfivehoopschool@y...> wrote:
      > two ideas pop into my head: one he's the type of player who
      probably got a couple rebounds on his own misses; with his shooting
      percentages rising, he has less misses to chase. same thing for the
      tam. i didn't look, but i'm guessing they are shooting a better
      percentage, which limits misses. also, they shoot a lot of threes,
      which lead to long rebounds and is one reason Q and Joe Johnson have
      pretty good rebounding numbers. those are just thoughts off the tye
      of my head-could be wrong however, since their faster pace could mean
      more shot attempts and equivalent number of missed shots as last
      year, if not equivalent percentages.

      > Michael Stewart <mlstewar@f...> wrote:
      > We've discussed Stoudemire's awesome scoring in some detail, but
      what do
      > people think about his rebounding?
      >
      > Stoudemire's rebound rate is down quite a bit from last year (12.9
      from
      > 14.4) and even that was down from his rookie year (15.9). He's
      basically
      > below average right now for his position. This is remarkable to me,
      > considering that he's incredibly strong and really quick off the
      floor.
      > Plus, it's not like he's battling a whole lot of Suns big men for
      rebounds
      > (though admittedly, Marion is excellent on the boards).
      >
      > Can people who have watched the Suns more than I have shed some
      light on
      > this? Is he having trouble posting up the bigger players that he's
      > guarding? Is he just not skilled yet at posting up?
      >
      > Michael Llort Stewart
      > Harvard College
      > 465 Dunster Mail Ctr
      > Cambridge, MA 02138
      > (904) 866-5439
      > mlstewar@f...
      >
      > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, dan_t_rosenbaum wrote:
      >

      > > Last season I was not a big fan of Amare's because I felt he was
      > > very susceptible to double teams, which led to bad shots or
      > > turnovers. And he could not pass out of the double team very
      well.

      > > But this season by surrounding Amare with four three point
      shooters,
      > > Amare is alone in the middle of the floor and it is very difficult
      > > to double team him. Matched up against slower centers, he
      routinely
      > > beats them down floor for dunks. In the half-court he dribbles
      > > around them for dunks.
      > >
      > > IMHO, the MVP for that team is Shawn Marion. By being able to
      play
      > > PF (and not getting into foul trouble) he has opened up the court
      > > and made Amare Stoudemire into a star. I think Amare has gotten
      > > better, but put him in a conventional offense with only a couple
      > > three-point shooters and I think we would see a lot of the
      turnovers
      > > and bad shots from past seasons. Nash, Johnson, Richardson, and
      > > Marion have given him an incredible amount of room to operate. No
      > > one in the league has free reign in the middle of the floor like
      > > Stoudemire does. And with his unique combination of speed and
      > > strength, there is probably not anyone who could better take
      > > advantage of what the Phoenix offense gives him. This is great
      > > coaching and general managing.
      > >
      > > Best wishes,
      > > Dan
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links