Re: B-R updates

  • tajallie@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
      As an aside, I always thought one of the more interesting stats on
      Stockton was that he was a very average FT shooting in college. Who
      would have guessed he shot only 69% his senior season?

      Combined with Karl going from sub 50% in his rookie year to high
      70's . . .I would guess their FT improvement accounts for 3-5 ppg on
      average probably the difference between a very good team 55 plus wins
      and bottom half playoff team.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Kubatko"

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
        >Losses to the player pages. Please see John Stockton's page for an
        >example:
        >
        >http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stockjo01.html

        Interesting that his most similar player in his final season,
        at age 40 was ... Karl Malone.

        Of course, there's going to be few players with much similarity
        to anybody at age 40.

        --MKT
      • Justin Kubatko
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
          Michael Tamada wrote:

          > Interesting that his most similar player in his final season,
          > at age 40 was ... Karl Malone.

          Yes, but the similarity score is awful (603).

          > Of course, there's going to be few players with much similarity
          > to anybody at age 40.

          Since 1978 there have been only five players who had an age 40 season
          with at least 500 minutes played: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1988), Karl
          Malone (2004), Robert Parish (1994), John Stockton (2003), and Kevin
          Willis (2003).

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
            <jkubatko@b...> wrote:

            > > Of course, there's going to be few players with much similarity
            > > to anybody at age 40.

            We discussed similarity scores earlier, and I don't recall any
            response to these suggestions:

            Why not treat Age as just one more category -- like height, turnover
            rate, etc. ? Weight it heavily, if you want. Players age
            differently; Stockton was a late bloomer, but he carried on
            effectively after his contemporaries were faded.

            Alternatively, consider that there's some arbitrary date -- like
            Feb. 1 -- that's used to pinpoint a player's age. A guy born in
            January cannot be considered similar to a guy just 2 months younger,
            because they aren't the same "age", so defined.

            You could classify a 25-yr-old player as 24, 25, and 26. Then he'd
            be "eligible" to resemble others in a reasonable range.

            Meanwhile, it's not entirely odd that Malone came to resemble
            Stockton, after 20 years. He passed more, scored and rebounded less.
          • Justin Kubatko
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
              Mike G wrote:

              > Why not treat Age as just one more category -- like height,
              > turnover rate, etc. ? Weight it heavily, if you want.

              Another solution is to give two different sets of results: one most
              similar by age, and one most similar without considering age.

              > Players age differently; Stockton was a late bloomer, but he
              > carried on effectively after his contemporaries were faded.

              Was Stockton really a late-bloomer, or did it just take the Jazz three
              years to recognize what they had?