B-R updates

  • Justin Kubatko
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hi,

      I wanted to let everyone know that I recently made some updates to
      Basketball-Reference.com. One major change includes adding Dean
      Oliver's Offensive Rating, Defensive Rating, Player Wins, and Player
      Losses to the player pages. Please see John Stockton's page for an
      example:

      http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stockjo01.html

      The statistics mentioned are in the "Other" section of the player
      pages.

      --
      Regards,
      Justin Kubatko

      Basketball Stats! http://www.basketball-reference.com
    • tajallie@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
        As an aside, I always thought one of the more interesting stats on
        Stockton was that he was a very average FT shooting in college. Who
        would have guessed he shot only 69% his senior season?

        Combined with Karl going from sub 50% in his rookie year to high
        70's . . .I would guess their FT improvement accounts for 3-5 ppg on
        average probably the difference between a very good team 55 plus wins
        and bottom half playoff team.

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Kubatko"

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
          >Losses to the player pages. Please see John Stockton's page for an
          >example:
          >
          >http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stockjo01.html

          Interesting that his most similar player in his final season,
          at age 40 was ... Karl Malone.

          Of course, there's going to be few players with much similarity
          to anybody at age 40.

          --MKT
        • Justin Kubatko
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
            Michael Tamada wrote:

            > Interesting that his most similar player in his final season,
            > at age 40 was ... Karl Malone.

            Yes, but the similarity score is awful (603).

            > Of course, there's going to be few players with much similarity
            > to anybody at age 40.

            Since 1978 there have been only five players who had an age 40 season
            with at least 500 minutes played: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1988), Karl
            Malone (2004), Robert Parish (1994), John Stockton (2003), and Kevin
            Willis (2003).

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
              <jkubatko@b...> wrote:

              > > Of course, there's going to be few players with much similarity
              > > to anybody at age 40.

              We discussed similarity scores earlier, and I don't recall any
              response to these suggestions:

              Why not treat Age as just one more category -- like height, turnover
              rate, etc. ? Weight it heavily, if you want. Players age
              differently; Stockton was a late bloomer, but he carried on
              effectively after his contemporaries were faded.

              Alternatively, consider that there's some arbitrary date -- like
              Feb. 1 -- that's used to pinpoint a player's age. A guy born in
              January cannot be considered similar to a guy just 2 months younger,
              because they aren't the same "age", so defined.

              You could classify a 25-yr-old player as 24, 25, and 26. Then he'd
              be "eligible" to resemble others in a reasonable range.

              Meanwhile, it's not entirely odd that Malone came to resemble
              Stockton, after 20 years. He passed more, scored and rebounded less.
            • Justin Kubatko
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
                Mike G wrote:

                > Why not treat Age as just one more category -- like height,
                > turnover rate, etc. ? Weight it heavily, if you want.

                Another solution is to give two different sets of results: one most
                similar by age, and one most similar without considering age.

                > Players age differently; Stockton was a late bloomer, but he
                > carried on effectively after his contemporaries were faded.

                Was Stockton really a late-bloomer, or did it just take the Jazz three
                years to recognize what they had?